need some guidance - AnabolicMinds.com

need some guidance

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  0 lbs.

need some guidance

hello,
    i am trying to get in shape..like most people haha.
    i am hitting the gym mon-fri+sun(only cardio on sunday)
    mostly because i am not working, and really have nothing to do so i want to go to the gym daily. with one day rest.
    so basically i am pretty heavy...210lbs and 5'6. its embarrassing to even write that, but i have to start somewhere. i just started to seriously exercise and eat better about 2 weeks ago. i don't know how much weight i have lost because i don't use a scale. i think i can determine my progress by my body's shape and..well, we all know our own bodies. so i just wanted to know if this is right, or if i'm doing it all wrong...i've researched a bit, but here goes.

mondays- legs (weighted squats and lunges, and leg press),abs (crunches and leg lifts until failure) 20 mins cardio
    tuesday- chest (bench press, db flyes, 3 times 15 reps), 20 mins cardio.
    wednesday- back (mid row machine, lat pull down, 3x15) and back extensions til failure( only because it feels like my weakest part and i cant do 15 reps ) abs, and then 20 mins cardio.
    thursday- arms, (curls, tricep dips, etc. 3x15) 20 mins cardio.
    friday - shoulders, (various db exercises and shoulder press on machine) abs, 20 mins cardio.
    sunday - an hour of cardio, treadmill, elliptical, bike. 20 mins each.

all my cardio is done on the treadmill with varying intensity, start off walking, jog a bit and sprint for a bit, back to walk,etc.
    i do this all on an empty stomach while pounding back lots of water. within a half hour of the workout, i am home and drink my shake..which brings me to my diet:
    shake - protein powder i picked up a gnc, with 1 banana, 1 cup of rice milk. i threw in 2 very tiny frozen strawberries, but i have a feeling i should cut that out.
    1 hour later then eat my plain corn flakes cereal, with fiber buds, and a green tea.
    2 hours after that is lunch and i eat a half cup of brown rice, with 3/4's a can of tuna.
    2 hours later, a bit of sunflower seeds and almonds.
    2.5 hours is dinner, chicken or tuna with a salad. lettuce, cucumber and tomato..only dressing is lemon, and a pinch of salt.
    and about 2 hours before bed i'll eat a bit of plain yogurt.

i am thinking that i need more calories, but i am not feeling tired or too hungry...i was eating like a lunatic before, so i do kind of feel hungry but i know to drink some water and it helps til my next scheduled meal.
    i am an endomorph (i guess thats obvious, haha)
    i signed up a fitday.com, and in my daily meals was given 18% fat, 40% carbs, 42% protein...but only 1,052 calories. i know thats probably low, but i dont know what to do really. i don't know what to add and where. i know carbs are my enemy, so i'm trying to stay away from those. i'm just kind of lost and have no idea if this is right.

anyways, please tell me if i should be doing anything different. i appreciate all the help and thank you very much in advance.

2. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Exclamation You're trying to do too much too soon, and going about everything the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by MC416 View Post
    hello,
    i am trying to get in shape..like most people haha.
    i am hitting the gym mon-fri+sun(only cardio on sunday)
    mostly because i am not working, and really have nothing to do so i want to go to the gym daily. with one day rest.
    so basically i am pretty heavy...210lbs and 5'6. its embarrassing to even write that, but i have to start somewhere. i just started to seriously exercise and eat better about 2 weeks ago. i don't know how much weight i have lost because i don't use a scale. i think i can determine my progress by my body's shape and..well, we all know our own bodies. so i just wanted to know if this is right, or if i'm doing it all wrong...i've researched a bit, but here goes.

mondays- legs (weighted squats and lunges, and leg press),abs (crunches and leg lifts until failure) 20 mins cardio
    tuesday- chest (bench press, db flyes, 3 times 15 reps), 20 mins cardio.
    wednesday- back (mid row machine, lat pull down, 3x15) and back extensions til failure( only because it feels like my weakest part and i cant do 15 reps ) abs, and then 20 mins cardio.
    thursday- arms, (curls, tricep dips, etc. 3x15) 20 mins cardio.
    friday - shoulders, (various db exercises and shoulder press on machine) abs, 20 mins cardio.
    sunday - an hour of cardio, treadmill, elliptical, bike. 20 mins each.

all my cardio is done on the treadmill with varying intensity, start off walking, jog a bit and sprint for a bit, back to walk,etc.
    i do this all on an empty stomach while pounding back lots of water. within a half hour of the workout, i am home and drink my shake..which brings me to my diet:
    shake - protein powder i picked up a gnc, with 1 banana, 1 cup of rice milk. i threw in 2 very tiny frozen strawberries, but i have a feeling i should cut that out.
    1 hour later then eat my plain corn flakes cereal, with fiber buds, and a green tea.
    2 hours after that is lunch and i eat a half cup of brown rice, with 3/4's a can of tuna.
    2 hours later, a bit of sunflower seeds and almonds.
    2.5 hours is dinner, chicken or tuna with a salad. lettuce, cucumber and tomato..only dressing is lemon, and a pinch of salt.
    and about 2 hours before bed i'll eat a bit of plain yogurt.

i am thinking that i need more calories, but i am not feeling tired or too hungry...i was eating like a lunatic before, so i do kind of feel hungry but i know to drink some water and it helps til my next scheduled meal.
    i am an endomorph (i guess thats obvious, haha)
    i signed up a fitday.com, and in my daily meals was given 18% fat, 40% carbs, 42% protein...but only 1,052 calories. i know thats probably low, but i dont know what to do really. i don't know what to add and where. i know carbs are my enemy, so i'm trying to stay away from those. i'm just kind of lost and have no idea if this is right.

anyways, please tell me if i should be doing anything different. i appreciate all the help and thank you very much in advance.
    First, kudos to you for setting a goal and starting out towards achieving it. However, if you only started two weeks ago with diet and exercise, then I would say whoah; ease back a bit. You're trying to do too much too soon, and going about everything the wrong way.

Notes (please don't take offence to this; it's just me being honest):

Diet

* You're not eating nearly enough. 1000 calories is way too low to lose fat on, and your body is more likely to hold onto as much as it can with what is essentially "starvation calories" for someone of your size and activity level (hell, I eat 3-4 times MORE than that, with an activity level LESS than that, and I lose bodyfat; extremely low calories are NOT necessary!)
    * Carbohydrates are NOT your enemy; if you don't eat enough, then your body cannot metabolize fat properly.
    * There is no need to cut your post-training shake out. This is necessary. You WANT simple sugars (and protein) as soon as possible post-training, to aid in the recovery process.

Tips for Diet for Fat Loss
    1. First, you needs to work out what your MAINTENANCE calories are (There are various methods and equations that you can use to calculate this; most take into account current body mass, height, and activity level). Then, to lose fat, you needs to make sure that you're having up to 500 calories LESS than maintenance. Depending on how fast or slow you lose the fat, you can adjust and tweak her calorie intake each week.
    2. Eat every 2-3 hours after waking. This helps keep the metabolism going throughout the day, as well as keeping insulin levels stable (so, you can see that 3 meals is simply NOT enough, even small portions).
    3. EVERY meal should have complex carbohydrates [CHO] (i.e. kumara, rice, oats, etc.), QUALITY LEAN protein (chicken breast, fish, tuna, salmon, lean beef, egg whites, etc.), and FIBROUS CHO (i.e. vegetables, green ones in particular).
    4. Drink 4.5 litres of water per day. This will help keep the system clean.
    5. It has been proven that TWO servings of DAIRY per day helps lose MORE fat than if one avoids it altogether.
    6. Do NOT avoid fat (The only fat you should be avoiding is Saturated fat and Trans fats). You NEED fat in your diet, as fat plays major roles in energy metabolism and other parts of your body (Wardlaw & Hampl, 2007). Make sure to have at least 30 grams of GOOD fats (i.e. flaxseeds or flaxseed oil, fish oils, peanut butter, nuts - especially almonds and walnuts, hempseed oil, olive oil, etc.) per day (i.e. this is ~2 tbsp of flaxseed oil or peanut butter).
    7. Don't drink tea or coffee. Try drinking GREEN tea instead; it helps with thermogenesis, and is especially good if you take it one hour before doing cardio first thing in the morning.
    8. Don't drink alcohol. Alcohol has NO nutritional value and is full of calories.
    9. Minimize adding salt to food. Instead, flavour a meal with herbs and spices (i.e. ginger, cumin, cayenne pepper, curry powder, chilli powder, and garlic all help thermogenesis a bit).
    10. The only sugar needed on a regular basis is the NATURAL sugars found in food; these are mostly found in fruit. Too much sugar plays havoc with insulin levels and these should be as stable as possible throughout the day. The best time to be having sugar is straight AFTER a RESISTANCE workout, when the body is trying to replenish muscle glycogen stores (Burke, 2006).
    11. Do NOT avoid CHO. You NEED at least 50-100 grams of CHO per day for your body to burn fat effectively. A good guideline is to have at least 1 gram of CHO per kg of body mass per day as a MINIMUM (Burke, 2006).
    12. Eat most food as 'natural' as possible. This means fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, grains, etc. Try not to eat too much packaged food, as it is full of extra calories and sugar.
    13. Most importantly, remember that it IS OK TO CHEAT every now and then. Actually the body NEEDS cheat meals and days (1-2 a week will get results; I have 3-4 x 4000-8000 calorie days, and I am only 110 pounds!). By throwing all the guidelines I have just mentioned above out of the way and having a day where you eat what you wants, it helps; and it will also help prevent your body from going into starvation mode (if it does this (as I mentioned, the calories you are attempting to live on right now is pretty much this for you), the body will battle you to hold onto the fat as much as it can; and that's the last thing wanted). If you prefers NOT to 'cheat', then adding in 1-2 higher CALORIE days (i.e. go up to Maintenance, or even Bulking, or even slightly higher), with the extra calories coming from quality COMPLEX CHO, you should be ok.

Supplements should NOT be a big deal, as most fat loss can be done through simply eating the right food at the right time (and, as a beginner, is NOT necessary for you). And unless everything that yo're doing is already done to ensure the maximum results in the timeframe that you want to achieve it in, and then supplementation should not be the focus. However, there ARE a few supplements that I think are important to any regime:
    1. A multivitamin. (Although you should be eating as much of a variety of food as possible, in order to meet the RDI/AI of most nutrients from actual food).
    2. Creatine monohydrate. Creatine helps the body to recover faster, as well as aiding in increasing strength levels and lean body mass [LBM].
    3. Flaxseed/Hempseed/Fish Oil. This is the GOOD fats. Flaxseed or Hempseed oil is great with breakfast or in protein shakes.
    4. Protein Powder. This just helps for the in-between meals, or after the gym, and to make sure that you get enough protein in (You should be having 1-1.5 grams of protein per kg of body mass per day; this is so that muscle loss is prevented, and can even assist in small gains in LBM).
    Apart from these 4 'base' supplements, you don't need a lot, especially since you're just starting out. And forget about using fat-burners or thermogenics; they are a waste of time unless you get down to ~15% bodyfat (or less).

Training

* You're attemping too much too soon. Start off at with an exercise programme that you are likely to be able to MAINTAIN and NOT burn out on after a few weeks. You DON'T need to be doing as much as you are.
    * Since you're just starting out you need at LEAST 24 hours rest in between each resistance session, to allow your body to recover properly.
    * Doing body-part splits is more for advanced lifters. And definitely doing resistance training 5 times a week as well. I would recommend doing 3 resistance sessions a week: Upper Body, Lower Body, and Full-Body, if you want to do that many sessions. Stick to the compound exercises (forget about arms for now, as they get worked during the multijoint exercises).
    * You should never spend longer than 45-50 minutes in total lifting (i.e. your session should take that long from the time you walk in to the time you walk out, excluding if you do a warm-up – and this is strictly your own preference); otherwise you become too catabolic and end up losing muscle.
    * You will also need to change your weights programme around slightly every 4-6 weeks, just so that your body does not get used to it and stop adapting. This can be as little as changing the order of exercises in a session or the number of sets and/or reps that you do for an exercise (and it only needs to be one exercise changed at a time, small adjustments over the weeks).

I would seriously recommend getting a personal trainer, since they will be able to help you in the direction of your goals.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

It's okay, push yourself as hard as you can. If you have the motivation, use it. Eat high fiber and high protein. Stay away from sugar and fat.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

I know you CAN do it. Commit to a year of training then look for results, it doesnt come overnight. As an endomorph you can build muscle fast, muscle burns fat, while you may not lose weight rapidly, you can eliminate fat by building muscle.JMO
  5. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

Yes, guys, she can do it. My point was that, since she JUST STARTED EXERCISING AND EATING SERIOUSLY TWO WEEKS AGO, that she should EASE into it. You don't just suddenly do/change everything ALL at once (even an EXPERIENCED trainee does NOT do that!) If one hasn't been exercising regularly, or are not used to such a demanding training regime, then you don't just suddenly go from nothing to the activity level of an athlete (or someone who has been training seriously for years). That's too much pressure and stress on the CNS, and will cause OVERtraining (and possibly burnout) VERY fast. Just looking out for health and well-being as well.

And Knowbull, it is MESOmorphs that gain muscle very quickly; endomorphs gain muscle moderately, but need to be very careful, as fat gain comes with it (more than with the other body types).

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    Yes, guys, she can do it. My point was that, since she JUST STARTED EXERCISING AND EATING SERIOUSLY TWO WEEKS AGO, that she should EASE into it. You don't just suddenly do/change everything ALL at once (even an EXPERIENCED trainee does NOT do that!) If one hasn't been exercising regularly, or are not used to such a demanding training regime, then you don't just suddenly go from nothing to the activity level of an athlete (or someone who has been training seriously for years). That's too much pressure and stress on the CNS, and will cause OVERtraining (and possibly burnout) VERY fast. Just looking out for health and well-being as well.

And Knowbull, it is MESOmorphs that gain muscle very quickly; endomorphs gain muscle moderately, but need to be very careful, as fat gain comes with it (more than with the other body types).
    Arnold says you train right and give it your all, or you'll be wasting time... Have you even read his published books?
  7. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Delita420 View Post
    Arnold says you train right and give it your all, or you'll be wasting time... Have you even read his published books?
    He was an athlete and USED to training heavily. He most certainly did not start training like a madman right from the word go. Everyone must start SOMEwhere.

And yes, you train right and give it your all, else you're wasting time (although, you're wasting time if your DIET is NOT right and you're training right). But you train right for your LEVEL! A BEGINNER does NOT (and should NOT) start to train at an ADVANCED/elite level. You PROGRESS up to that.

8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

He was an athlete and USED to training heavily. He most certainly did not start training like a madman right from the word go. Everyone must start SOMEwhere.

And yes, you train right and give it your all, else you're wasting time (although, you're wasting time if your DIET is NOT right and you're training right). But you train right for your LEVEL! A BEGINNER does NOT (and should NOT) start to train at an ADVANCED/elite level. You PROGRESS up to that.
    Gosh! Get all technical on me...
  9. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

Gosh! Get all technical on me...
    No, not really. Just stating facts.

Not to be a b*tch, but I suggest that you actually KNOW what you are advising someone (ANYone, but ESPECIALLY a beginner) before you GIVE them that advice; else you don't know what sort of damage you could potentially cause!

10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

No, not really. Just stating facts.

Not to be a b*tch, but I suggest that you actually KNOW what you are advising someone (ANYone, but ESPECIALLY a beginner) before you GIVE them that advice; else you don't know what sort of damage you could potentially cause!
    I guess everyone responds differently...
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  0 lbs.

wow. thanks Guejsn and everyone else.
    appreciate it.
    i will see what i can do about a trainer. and i have to eat more... just have to figure it out. thanks again.
  12. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

wow. thanks Guejsn and everyone else.
    appreciate it.
    i will see what i can do about a trainer. and i have to eat more... just have to figure it out. thanks again.
    You're welcome. I really want to encourage you in doing this. But also to make sure that you do it the RIGHT way, so that you stay motivated and get to where you want to be.

A dietician may be useful to go and see re diet (if the personal trainer cannot help in that area - many are not qualified to give more than the basic generic suggestions).

Good luck in your endeavours

13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

You're welcome. I really want to encourage you in doing this. But also to make sure that you do it the RIGHT way, so that you stay motivated and get to where you want to be.

A dietician may be useful to go and see re diet (if the personal trainer cannot help in that area - many are not qualified to give more than the basic generic suggestions).

I hate having my diet and exercise routine on paper. I always go by how I feel. Although, I am always f*cked up... Does that make diet and exercise routine f*cked up?
  14. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

Exclamation

I hate having my diet and exercise routine on paper. I always go by how I feel. Although, I am always f*cked up... Does that make diet and exercise routine f*cked up?
    It helps to have it written down sometimes. When you have a clear goal, and you know what you are going to do to achieve it, then, yeah. It's ok to have it in your head, as long as you know what you're doing. Just going by how you "feel" is not always the best thing to do; there's no structure to a training routine like that; and certainly NOT what I would recommend re training OR diet (especially diet, since this is pretty much the KEY to training success or failure).

15. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  0 lbs.

I've got tons of motivation, tons of drive..and all the time in the world. like i said, the only reason i'm training like that is because i am at home doing nothing, and would rather be at the gym..at least out of my house. so, i should tone down the training for a bit, fix up my diet, and in about a month or so, up the training and re-calculate my diet according to progress? if i just went and did cardio on the other 2 days of the week of "rest", would that be ok or work against me?
    also, would love to speak to a nutritionist, dietician, or trainer, but i don't have the means to do so at the moment. thats why i'm doing my research and what not online.
    i am looking to do the 40/40/20 (protein/carb/fat), and see if it works for me. maybe doing 45/35/20.
    thanks again...really appreciate the insight.
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

I've got tons of motivation, tons of drive..and all the time in the world. like i said, the only reason i'm training like that is because i am at home doing nothing, and would rather be at the gym..at least out of my house. so, i should tone down the training for a bit, fix up my diet, and in about a month or so, up the training and re-calculate my diet according to progress? if i just went and did cardio on the other 2 days of the week of "rest", would that be ok or work against me?
    also, would love to speak to a nutritionist, dietician, or trainer, but i don't have the means to do so at the moment. thats why i'm doing my research and what not online.
    i am looking to do the 40/40/20 (protein/carb/fat), and see if it works for me. maybe doing 45/35/20.
    Be hardcore from the start, and when you figure out your diet be extra hardcore.
  17. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

I appreciate your motivation and drive. However, just because you HAVE the time to train like that doesn't mean that you SHOULD (as I explained to the guys in posts above).

Since you are a beginner I would recommend a training regime more like this:
    Monday - HIIT Cardio
    Tuesday - Gym Full-Body
    Wednesday - HIIT
    Thursday - Gym Full-Body
    Friday - HIIT
    Saturday - DAY OFF
    Sunday - DAY OFF
    MORE IS NOT ALWAYS BEST!!!

No, not "recalcuate your diet according to progress". You need to be eating MORE, PERIOD. At least TWICE as much as you are now! As for diet, just get it sorted FIRST, before ANYTHING else (otherwise all your training efforts will be wasted anyways).

If you don't have the means, then something I would suggest you invest in (doesn't cost much) and read is Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle e-book. It is highly informative, and you will get MOST of what you need to know (especially re diet) in there (as well as calculations, etc.)

18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

Monday - HIIT Cardio
    Tuesday - Gym Full-Body
    Wednesday - HIIT
    Thursday - Gym Full-Body
    Friday - HIIT
    Saturday - DAY OFF
    Sunday - DAY OFF
    that's perfect IMO. HIIT style training boosts GH levels pretty high, which will help you burn fat. total body does the same, provided you are doing the more compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, etc and doing them with a very short rest period.

the only issue i would have with this is your post workout shake. carbs - fast digesting ones will kick you out of GH maximization, so a shake that consists of low/no carbs, but protein and a tablespoon or two of peanut better would be more ideal.

this is definitely the FASTEST SAFEST way to get in shape. IMO.
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    that's perfect IMO. HIIT style training boosts GH levels pretty high, which will help you burn fat. total body does the same, provided you are doing the more compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, etc and doing them with a very short rest period.

the only issue i would have with this is your post workout shake. carbs - fast digesting ones will kick you out of GH maximization, so a shake that consists of low/no carbs, but protein and a tablespoon or two of peanut better would be more ideal.

What you say about the carbs and GH is true. Just learned about it in my nutrition course.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  0 lbs.

I appreciate your motivation and drive. However, just because you HAVE the time to train like that doesn't mean that you SHOULD (as I explained to the guys in posts above).

Monday - HIIT Cardio
    Tuesday - Gym Full-Body
    Wednesday - HIIT
    Thursday - Gym Full-Body
    Friday - HIIT
    Saturday - DAY OFF
    Sunday - DAY OFF

No, not "recalcuate your diet according to progress". You need to be eating MORE, PERIOD. At least TWICE as much as you are now! As for diet, just get it sorted FIRST, before ANYTHING else (otherwise all your training efforts will be wasted anyways).

If you don't have the means, then something I would suggest you invest in (doesn't cost much) and read is Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle e-book. It is highly informative, and you will get MOST of what you need to know (especially re diet) in there (as well as calculations, etc.)

i will definitely find that book. that schedule looks great to me. and a full body workout is kind of new to me. i would do upper body and then squats, lunges, deadlifts, correct? no cardio. i will try to find some examples of full body routines. that sounds like its going to be a load off my shoulders, considering i was trying to overload myself before. and i am at fitday.com trying to figure out my diet at the moment. it's a bit of a pain, but i'll thank myself later. and thank you again!
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  0 lbs.

i usually rest 60 seconds.
    the shake i buy says low carb.. 2 grams per scoop. so i should eliminate the fruits and just add some pb?
    thanks
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

the shake i buy says low carb.. 2 grams per scoop. so i should eliminate the fruits and just add some pb?
    thanks
    i would definitely sub out the fruits. most people that work out do so to get their testosterone levels working for them. all this new crossfit stuff, etc focuses on getting GH levels to do the work instead. It is not as great of a muscle builder as testosterone, though it does work. It is the most powerful fat burner within your body.

basically, total body is picking one compound movement per body part, split into :

biceps
    upper back
    lower back
    triceps
    chest
    legs
    shoulders

biceps and upper back are the same movement, so 6 exercises total - either chin ups or pullups for biceps/upper back - you can use the assist machine. make sure your two workouts are different in movements, and remember that less rest/speed of movement is as important as weights used with regards to GH output.

if you need anything, feel free to PM me.
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

i would definitely sub out the fruits. most people that work out do so to get their testosterone levels working for them. all this new crossfit stuff, etc focuses on getting GH levels to do the work instead. It is not as great of a muscle builder as testosterone, though it does work. It is the most powerful fat burner within your body.

basically, total body is picking one compound movement per body part, split into :

biceps
    upper back
    lower back
    triceps
    chest
    legs
    shoulders

biceps and upper back are the same movement, so 6 exercises total - either chin ups or pullups for biceps/upper back - you can use the assist machine. make sure your two workouts are different in movements, and remember that less rest/speed of movement is as important as weights used with regards to GH output.

if you need anything, feel free to PM me.
    You can still eat fruit at a different time of the day.
  24. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

i will definitely find that book. that schedule looks great to me. and a full body workout is kind of new to me. i would do upper body and then squats, lunges, deadlifts, correct? no cardio. i will try to find some examples of full body routines. that sounds like its going to be a load off my shoulders, considering i was trying to overload myself before. and i am at fitday.com trying to figure out my diet at the moment. it's a bit of a pain, but i'll thank myself later. and thank you again!
    Start with your LOWER Body first. because the exercises are quite taxing, and doing them last may not be the best idea for form. Also, doing them first will help increase testosterone and GH, for better muscle mass gain.

Example:
    1. Barbell Squats 3 x 10-12
    2. Deadlifts 3 x 10
    3. Barbell Bench Press 3 x 10
    4. Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 10-12
    5. Dips 3 x 10-12
    6. Calf Raises 3 x 12
    7. Abs - 100 reps in total of any 'ab' exercise
    Notes - 60-90 seconds recovery between sets. You can do as either a) do all of Exercise 1 and then move to exercise 2; or b) do as a circuit (i.e. do exercise 1, then exercise 2, and so on, until exercise 7; and then repeat 3 times), with a short recovery (i.e. 30-60 seconds) between exercises, and a longer one (i.e. 90 seconds) at the end of each circuit.

As for diet, just take into account the notes I made. Bascially you need to work on eating MORE, period, at the moment!

thanks
    I wouldn't be drinking that shake DURING your workout. If you have it AFTERWARDS, then the fruit is FINE; remember that simple sugars (i.e. fruit) will get into your bloodstream, and therefore aid in replenishment of your muscle glycogen stores faster than compex carbohydrates, protein, or fat.

Personally, I would make your own shake. Suggestions of things that can be put in it (make sure that you have at least 30g of protein and 30-50g of simple carbohydrates):
    * Protein (at least 30g of protein per serve of protein powder)
    * Dextrose (at least 30-50g carbohydrate)
    * Fruit (i.e. bananas, etc.)
    * Frozen berries (i.e. blueberries, raspberries, etc.)
    * Yoghurt
    * Ice
    * Water

25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

I wouldn't be drinking that shake DURING your workout. If you have it AFTERWARDS, then the fruit is FINE; remember that simple sugars (i.e. fruit) will get into your bloodstream, and therefore aid in replenishment of your muscle glycogen stores faster than compex carbohydrates, protein, or fat.

Personally, I would make your own shake. Suggestions of things that can be put in it (make sure that you have at least 30g of protein and 30-50g of simple carbohydrates):
    * Yoghurt
    * Ice
    * Water
    Lets work together to help this young lady stay on the right path. Carbs (sugar) are very important, but they should be consumed at precise times. This will manipulate the body into doing what you want. Diet is one of the primary factors when it comes to gettin' fit. Don't over look what I'm about to teach.

Carbohydrates should be eaten before, during and after exercise. The one exception is athletes who are weight training for muscle and strength building effects. These people should wait an hour after exercising before they eat to avoid interference with the growth hormone elevating effects of intense exercise.

Wait about one hour after weight training to consume your post-training meal. Studies show that if you train hard for about 1 hour, your growth hormone and testosterone levels will reach a peak. However, if you eat during and right after training, this will reduce the hormone response.
  26. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

Carbohydrates should be eaten before, during and after exercise. The one exception is athletes who are weight training for muscle and strength building effects. These people should wait an hour after exercising before they eat to avoid interference with the growth hormone elevating effects of intense exercise.
    I would disagree with this. It depends on the INDIVIDUAL; you cannot be generic with everyone. But, each to their own. Some people cannot be told.

Wait about one hour after weight training to consume your post-training meal. Studies show that if you train hard for about 1 hour, your growth hormone and testosterone levels will reach a peak. However, if you eat during and right after training, this will reduce the hormone response.
    Actually, studies (Wideman, Weltman, Patrie, & Bowers, et al., 2000; to name one) show that in females GH levels peak around the 30-minute mark into exercise, regardless of whether or not the female stops exercising at that mark or continues. In females, studies have shown that total testosterone levels do NOT change, although FREE tstosterone levels can be elevated by up to 25% (Nindl, Kraemer, Gotshalk, & Marx, et al., 2001).

27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

I would disagree with this. It depends on the INDIVIDUAL; you cannot be generic with everyone. But, each to their own. Some people cannot be told.

Actually, studies (Wideman, Weltman, Patrie, & Bowers, et al., 2000; to name one) show that in females GH levels peak around the 30-minute mark into exercise, regardless of whether or not the female stops exercising at that mark or continues. In females, studies have shown that total testosterone levels do NOT change, although FREE tstosterone levels can be elevated by up to 25% (Nindl, Kraemer, Gotshalk, & Marx, et al., 2001).
    Hey, I'm just a guy... What do I know about this kind of stuff?
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  0 lbs.

Start with your LOWER Body first. because the exercises are quite taxing, and doing them last may not be the best idea for form. Also, doing them first will help increase testosterone and GH, for better muscle mass gain.

Example:
    1. Barbell Squats 3 x 10-12
    2. Deadlifts 3 x 10
    3. Barbell Bench Press 3 x 10
    4. Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 10-12
    5. Dips 3 x 10-12
    6. Calf Raises 3 x 12
    7. Abs - 100 reps in total of any 'ab' exercise
    Notes - 60-90 seconds recovery between sets. You can do as either a) do all of Exercise 1 and then move to exercise 2; or b) do as a circuit (i.e. do exercise 1, then exercise 2, and so on, until exercise 7; and then repeat 3 times), with a short recovery (i.e. 30-60 seconds) between exercises, and a longer one (i.e. 90 seconds) at the end of each circuit.

As for diet, just take into account the notes I made. Bascially you need to work on eating MORE, period, at the moment!
    that sounds good, i will try that and see how it works.
    as for diet, i have created a meal plan, a few actually, that are about 1855 calories...spread out so i'm eating 6-7 times a day, every 2-3 hours. i know i'll have to re-adjust the calorie intake once i lose a few pounds of fat. sound right? i hope.

* Yoghurt
    * Ice
    * Water
    hmm, i'll have to pick up dextrose i guess...i will try this shake out. thanks
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  0 lbs.

i'm a little confused, but i appreciate the help everyone.
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

i'm a little confused, but i appreciate the help everyone.
    don't be. there's two ways to build muscle :

1 - through testosterone
    2 - through growth hormone

carbs cut down growth hormones ability to work in a maximal fashion. carbs do not do that to testosterone.

my suggestion is to limit carbs post workout to get growth hormone working for you, as it is the bodies best fat burner.

Guejsn's idea springs from raising muscle as fast as possible - testosterone, and if your diet doesn't change, your body will have to burn fat to fuel those new muscles.

Two different pathways, same end results. does that clarify this a bit?
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

as for diet, i have created a meal plan, a few actually, that are about 1855 calories...spread out so i'm eating 6-7 times a day, every 2-3 hours. i know i'll have to re-adjust the calorie intake once i lose a few pounds of fat. sound right? i hope.

Do NOT pick up dextrose. Fruit is a much better alternative.
  32. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

I would have MORE calories than that, to be honest.

You don't NEED the dextrose. Either that or the fruit is ENOUGH.

...Guejsn's idea springs from raising muscle as fast as possible - testosterone, and if your diet doesn't change, your body will have to burn fat to fuel those new muscles...
    That wasn't it, actually. But never mind.

I've said my part. MC416 can do as she likes from here. OUT.

33. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  0 lbs.

don't be. there's two ways to build muscle :

1 - through testosterone
    2 - through growth hormone

carbs cut down growth hormones ability to work in a maximal fashion. carbs do not do that to testosterone.

my suggestion is to limit carbs post workout to get growth hormone working for you, as it is the bodies best fat burner.

Guejsn's idea springs from raising muscle as fast as possible - testosterone, and if your diet doesn't change, your body will have to burn fat to fuel those new muscles.

Two different pathways, same end results. does that clarify this a bit?
    aaahh..i see. thanks for that. i guess there's no harm in trying both methods and seeing which works better for my body, right?
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  0 lbs.

I would have MORE calories than that, to be honest.

You don't NEED the dextrose. Either that or the fruit is ENOUGH.

more food? haha, best news i've ever heard. just hard to keep it clean....
    thanks for your help.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  0 lbs.

one last thing... at what point do you guys believe someone is no longer a beginner in the gym? i guess it depends on the individual and how constant they keep at it? if you were to train heavily for years, and then not for, say, a year, would you come back and start as a beginner again?
  36. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

sorry Guejsn if i misunderstood your point. now i'm confused, which happens more often the older i get
  37. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

let me ask you two questions if i may.

1 what time of day do you work out?
    2 what does a normal days food intake look like?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Looking for guidance
    By Muscledad in forum Bulking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-15-2009, 07:09 AM
  2. Need some guidance
    By Coachjj3 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2007, 12:01 PM
  3. Guidance using NP's WMS
    By fromkrypton in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 76