Supplement Check - AnabolicMinds.com

Supplement Check

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Supplement Check

My girl friend is using multi-vitamins, valerian at bed time, and Hydroxycut Max as a fat burner. Yes, I know it's Muscletech... She picked it out herself. My questions: Are there any important supplements being left out? Are there any supplements she should try? Her goal is to tone up and build some muscle. She will eat a high protein, high fiber diet... Low carbs.

She likes supplements that 'taste good'. I told her it would help her to build some muscle if she would swallow... That didn't go over too well.

2. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  123 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Delita420 View Post
    My girl friend is using multi-vitamins, valerian at bed time, and Hydroxycut Max as a fat burner. Yes, I know it's Muscletech... She picked it out herself. My questions: Are there any important supplements being left out? Are there any supplements she should try? Her goal is to tone up and build some muscle. She will eat a high protein, high fiber diet... Low carbs.

She likes supplements that 'taste good'. I told her it would help her to build some muscle if she would swallow... That didn't go over too well.
    Questions to ask:

1. What's her diet like?

'Toning' is either:
    a) losing bodyfat;
    b) gaining muscle mass; or
    c) gaining muscle mass, whilst simultaneously losing bodyfat.

She needs to decide what her PRIMARY goal is. Either she wants to gain muscle. Or she wants to lose bodyfat. If she wants to attempt option c, then her DIET had better be 110% perfect.

If her diet is ****e (and to lose bodyfat, she doesn't need to have ridiculously low carbohydrates (she needs at least 50-100g/day to ensure optimal fat metabolism); or low calories), she may as well forget supplements.

Although, in saying that, regardless of diet, she should be using the basic staples:
    * Creatine (especially if she's resistance training, which she SHOULD be if she wants to gain muscle);
    * Multivitamin (and a Calcium supplement as well (especially being a female, for bone health), if she's not getting enough from her diet);
    * Good Fats (~60g/day);
    * Protein (~1g/lb/bw/day); and
    * BCAA's.

And as for "supplements that 'taste good'"; not everything good for you is pleasant. But she should be able to find a protein powder that tastes fine (the taste of the rest of the staples is pretty much nothing). However, protein CAN be gotten predominantly from REAL food, especially if she doesn't weigh much (I get my 120g/day from my diet, using the addition of only 1 scoop of protein powder to make it up).

2. What's her training history?

If she has just started training, or is relatively new to everything, then she needn't worry about supplements, as most of her gains will be made through adaptations in her diet and through her training.

3. What is her body compostition right now?

The valerian root is fine. However, unless your girl is <15% bodyfat, then I really think it's a waste of time for her to be using the Hydroxycut (especially if her diet is not great).
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    Questions to ask:

1. What's her diet like?

'Toning' is either:
    a) losing bodyfat;
    b) gaining muscle mass; or
    c) gaining muscle mass, whilst simultaneously losing bodyfat.

She needs to decide what her PRIMARY goal is. Either she wants to gain muscle. Or she wants to lose bodyfat. If she wants to attempt option c, then her DIET had better be 110% perfect.

If her diet is ****e (and to lose bodyfat, she doesn't need to have ridiculously low carbohydrates (she needs at least 50-100g/day to ensure optimal fat metabolism); or low calories), she may as well forget supplements.

Although, in saying that, regardless of diet, she should be using the basic staples:
    * Creatine (especially if she's resistance training, which she SHOULD be if she wants to gain muscle);
    * Multivitamin (and a Calcium supplement as well (especially being a female, for bone health), if she's not getting enough from her diet);
    * Good Fats (~60g/day);
    * Protein (~1g/lb/bw/day); and
    * BCAA's.

And as for "supplements that 'taste good'"; not everything good for you is pleasant. But she should be able to find a protein powder that tastes fine (the taste of the rest of the staples is pretty much nothing). However, protein CAN be gotten predominantly from REAL food, especially if she doesn't weigh much (I get my 120g/day from my diet, using the addition of only 1 scoop of protein powder to make it up).

2. What's her training history?

If she has just started training, or is relatively new to everything, then she needn't worry about supplements, as most of her gains will be made through adaptations in her diet and through her training.

3. What is her body compostition right now?

The valerian root is fine. However, unless your girl is <15% bodyfat, then I really think it's a waste of time for her to be using the Hydroxycut (especially if her diet is not great).
    I'm not in control of her diet right now, but I will be when she finally starts going to the gym with me. I'm going to push for option C, and help her lose body fat while gaining muscle. It's easy to do, and I'll tell her what to eat and what not to eat. She's pretty skinny, which is why option C is even an option for her. I'm thinking about having her try NO Shotgun, it has tons of BCAAs and creatine. Not to mention that it would help her with workout intensity and keep her focused. She used to workout with me about a year ago, but I could never tell her how to eat. She agreed to let me help her with diet this time.
    •   

4. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  123 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Delita420 View Post
    I'm not in control of her diet right now, but I will be when she finally starts going to the gym with me. I'm going to push for option C, and help her lose body fat while gaining muscle. It's easy to do, and I'll tell her what to eat and what not to eat. She's pretty skinny, which is why option C is even an option for her. I'm thinking about having her try NO Shotgun, it has tons of BCAAs and creatine. Not to mention that it would help her with workout intensity and keep her focused. She used to workout with me about a year ago, but I could never tell her how to eat. She agreed to let me help her with diet this time.
    Well, diet is the KEY thing here (and evern moreso with simultaneously trying to gain muscle and lose bodyfat, since they're at OPPOSITE ends of the diet spectrum; you have to get it next to PERFECT)!!!

If she's pretty skinny, then she should just concentrate on gaining muscle mass, IMO. There's no point trying to lose bodyfat if you have little to lose.

It's NOT easy, but if she realizes that, and is prepared to put in the discipline and hard work for it, then good luck.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    Well, diet is the KEY thing here (and evern moreso with simultaneously trying to gain muscle and lose bodyfat, since they're at OPPOSITE ends of the diet spectrum; you have to get it next to PERFECT)!!!

If she's pretty skinny, then she should just concentrate on gaining muscle mass, IMO. There's no point trying to lose bodyfat if you have little to lose.

It's NOT easy, but if she realizes that, and is prepared to put in the discipline and hard work for it, then good luck.
    No worries, I'll keep her on track.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Whats Your Favorite Supplement/Supplement Stack?
    By R1balla in forum Supplements
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-28-2012, 08:28 AM
  2. Whats Your Favorite Supplement/Supplement Stack?
    By R1balla in forum Supplements
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 09:51 AM
  3. Check My Log!
    By nattydisaster in forum Celtic Labs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 08:20 AM
  4. Go check out the supplement auction
    By vika808 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 01:19 AM