which is use for energy?

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Must be a long day already as I can't remember this simple little thing.

Which food groups are metabolized for energy first, second and third?

1) Carbs
2) Protein
2) Fat

???

bda55

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I always thought protein was the hardest and carbs the easiest to become used for energy... Let's hear it from the experts :)

kdent7

Awards
The way I understand it is that the ratios shift as inputs/outputs change, and also as certain body mechanisms are enacted by these changes.

Comparatively Increased Carb Intake = Increased Carb Utilization

Comparatively Increased Fat Intake = Increased Fat Utilization

Muscle Glycogen decrease, increased utilization of FAT and PRO catabolism.

Blood Sugar decrease, glucagon increase and increased FAT utilization.

Blood Sugar increase, insulin increase, increased glycogen, increased CHO usage.

Protein however is not used as readily, and when inputs of FAT and CHO drop then the ratio of PRO being broken down for E is increased.

FAT and CHO are both being used all the time, it is just a matter of conditions that alter the ratios of their utilization. And their are many others that may contribute, ie. Exercise intensity, and I would guess stress also.

The body systems are highly-malleable. Their plasticity fights for homeostasis. I'm quickly becoming convinced that BOBO is correct in "balanced" E inputs as elimination of one always leads to increased utilization of another, yet the imbalance that results always leads to increased detriment(s) of some kind, ie. Weight Gain or Catabolism. Manipulation of extremes doesn't get you any further ahead in the long run.

Hopefully all of the above examples are correct, someone more knowledgable needs to reply to this.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Simple carb...1
Complex carb...2
Dietary fat...3
Protein....4

IMHO

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Why does everyone put an S on the end of carb, or carbohydrate? Just a pet peeve of mine. It a carbohydrate or multiple carbohydrate. Just like 1 gram of protein or 10 gramS of protein (not proteins)

sorry, I am in a pisssy mood today.

bda55

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How many carb do you eat? Or should that be "how much"?

This is the internet, wth does it matter?

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
How much carbohydrate do you eat. How many proteins do you eat?

bda55

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How many proteins do you eat?
Just like 1 gram of protein or 10 gramS of protein (not proteins)
So which one is it? :D

Sorry, I'm not argueing, English is not my native language.. I was just pointing out that spelling and grammar or correct use thereof is minimal on the internet..

[/offtopic]

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
The sources are relative to intensity. For example, if you are doing an activity that is low intensity(HR<65%) then fat will be your primary source of fuel. If the activity is high intensity(e.g. sprints) then your primary source of fuel will be primarily carbs.

Essentially, the closer your heart rate is to your resting rate, the more % of kcals will come from fat.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Simple carb...1
Complex carb...2
Dietary fat...3
Protein....4

IMHO
Dont think so... Firstly, like Grim said it depends on intensity as to which macro the body will prioritise.

Secondly, in the case where carbs are prioritised, the body does not use the carbs as they are ingested; they have to be broken down/metabolized to glucose. Given that some simple carbs take longer to metabolize than complex carbs, carb molecular complexity is not a suitable classification.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Must be a long day already as I can't remember this simple little thing.

Which food groups are metabolized for energy first, second and third?

1) Carbs
2) Protein
2) Fat

???
Depends on "Fed State". Fat & Carbs are used throughout the day typically. Protein is used for energy when there is deficet of glucose. I think it is about 125-150 grams of carbohydrate per day that will help preserve LBM. Like stated above, it really depends on the environment. The human body can adapt quite easily. It also depends on the type of activity, oxygen availability, carbohydrate availability(needed to metabolize fat for energy efficiently, otherwise increase ketones). Baseline glucose is the primary source of energy for the brain, so its constantly being used. Fatty acids are also the primary source of energy for muscle at rest.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
This is all argumentative, as there are many many multiple page threads around that contridict everything we just said.

There is no way anyone can say 126 carb will preserve LBM as everyone is different. Also, there are many people that do only HI cardio and get great fatburning effects, so therfore is contridict the theory of sprint verses low intensity.

This is one that everyones results will differ IMO.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Dont think so... Firstly, like Grim said it depends on intensity as to which macro the body will prioritise.

Secondly, in the case where carbs are prioritised, the body does not use the carbs as they are ingested; they have to be broken down/metabolized to glucose. Given that some simple carbs take longer to metabolize than complex carbs, carb molecular complexity is not a suitable classification.
Everything I've read agrees with this info above. Depending on your HR and activity your body will pull from different sources. The high intensity your going to shift to predominantly carbs. The lower your heart rate or at complete rest which we are rarely even at your body is using mostly fat for fuel.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Alright. Let's adjust the question.

Foods consumed. Which group is used for energy first, second and thrid?

For example, only one group can be utilized for energy in the body at anyone time. If consuming carbs + protein, carbs are utilized. If consuming protein + fat, fats are used, if consuming fat + carbs + protein... one is used for energy, the other is stored as fat and protein is retained for muscle/hair,repair properities?

kdent7

Awards
Alright. Let's adjust the question.

Foods consumed. Which group is used for energy first, second and thrid?

For example, only one group can be utilized for energy in the body at anyone time. If consuming carbs + protein, carbs are utilized. If consuming protein + fat, fats are used, if consuming fat + carbs + protein... one is used for energy, the other is stored as fat and protein is retained for muscle/hair,repair properities?
If adequate carbs are being consumed then glycogen is being synthesized so that will be the preferential source of fuel, but fat wil still be utilized, just not relied upon as heavily (say 85 CHO/15 FAT not a scientific number but just for a clarification).

As glycogen becomes depleted fat stores will contribute more towards energy needs if further CHO are not being supplied (60 CHO/40 FAT). The body does not limit its fuel use to one source. It is a blend of CHO and FAT. PRO is being used as you said for synthesis, but then for breakdown if dietary stress is sufficiently high.

If glucose becomes scarce (muscular and liver glycogen are low) we employ alternate methods of supplying glucose, ie. gluconeogenesis. PRO and glycerol from increased lipolysis will contribute towards the newly formed glucose in the liver.

Otherwise ketones will be produced for "brain fuel" when glucose becomes too limited a substrate as gluconeogenesis is not all that efficient (from what I've heard/read, not sure if that is entirely true, but logically it makes sense given it is a back-up system).

Kevin

kdent7

Awards
Small Tangent.

There is also an awesome thread at Avant where Spook discusses the rate-limiting step of fat-loss. That being adequate fat oxidation, rather than actual lipolysis (fat breakdown and release to blood). Lipolysis it appears is consistently high enough to provide substantial continual weight loss it is just that the oxidation of those FFA's is exceeded by their re-esterification back to TAG. In other words, just be more ACTIVE.

Lookin for the link if anyone is curious.

Tangent End.

Kevin