manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
what does it mean when someone says they are doing 1 rest pause set?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Typically it means they are doing 3 "mini sets"

For instance...

Incline DB press 85x12(15sec rest) 85x6(15sec rest) 85x4

Those 3 sets make up 1 RP set. That example would be 1 RP set of 22, so 22RP.

Each portion is done to "failure" The reps naturally decrease from the first set to the last.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Typically it means they are doing 3 "mini sets"

For instance...

Incline DB press 85x12(15sec rest) 85x6(15sec rest) 85x4

Those 3 sets make up 1 RP set. That example would be 1 RP set of 22, so 22RP.

Each portion is done to "failure" The reps naturally decrease from the first set to the last.
Well thats how it is in DC,but can't a rest pause set be somehing like going untill failure and then waiting minimal time with the bar in position and all to just get one more rep?I have read that somewhere as a way to up the intensity...

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well thats how it is in DC,but can't a rest pause set be somehing like going untill failure and then waiting minimal time with the bar in position and all to just get one more rep?I have read that somewhere as a way to up the intensity...
sounds like it could be. ive never heard of that tho.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've always defined Rest Pauses as a long pause of 5 breathes, in between the completion of reps. For example, for me at least, having a Rest Pause at 6 and 12 means that on the 6th and 12th reps respectively, I paused for 5 deep breaths at the rest position of the lift.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
As far as DC goes. It means --- completing your working set (to failure), racking the weight (whatever the exercise is that your doing). Resting for ~15 seconds and going to failure again. Some will do this once more. I did this a lot...

Talking about DC makes me want to get back into it again....

EDIT: I was looking at one of my DC journals from a couple months ago, here is an example:

Flat BB:
225x10
275x5
305x3
Then move to working set--->315x11 --->RP(15 sec) 315x6 ---> RP(15 sec) 315x3

rick055

Awards
  • Established
I've always defined Rest Pauses as a long pause of 5 breathes, in between the completion of reps. For example, for me at least, having a Rest Pause at 6 and 12 means that on the 6th and 12th reps respectively, I paused for 5 deep breaths at the rest position of the lift.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

For example, doing an flat bench press, take the weight off the bar, lower to chest, pause a bit (one full second at minimum), explode through positive contraction, repeat.

It could also mean "Nahhh, I don't feel like working out today, I think I'll take pause and rest."

Or maybe I'm thinking of "pause rep". Is there a difference?

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
As far as DC goes. It means --- completing your working set (to failure), racking the weight (whatever the exercise is that your doing). Resting for ~15 seconds and going to failure again. Some will do this once more. I did this a lot...

Talking about DC makes me want to get back into it again.
It's taking your set to failure,wait 12-15 deep breaths,take set to failure,12-15 deeps breaths,and set to failure for the final time.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's taking your set to failure,wait 12-15 deep breaths,take set to failure,12-15 deeps breaths,and set to failure for the final time.
yeah i was going to say i believe its breaths with DC.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah i was going to say i believe its breaths with DC.
Yes sir!DC says not to rush the breaths and make them nice and deep cause the point of them is recovery........We need this in the any and everything DC!!!!!!!!thread.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Breaths/seconds.. It doesn't really matter.

I typically count breaths as it is easier for me to keep the rest consistent.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Breaths/seconds.. It doesn't really matter.

I typically count breaths as it is easier for me to keep the rest consistent.
I guess not.Except that is what dante tells you to do,12-15 deeps breaths,and it's for recovery reasons......getting oxygen into your blood and to the muscles.I'd say it's one of the DC things that should be followed to a T.He tells older guys to do higher reps than 11-15 rp,he says alternate stretches are fine,he has no approved exercise list,if you see one,it was written by another.No routine for abs or cardio,but I've never heard him say wait x amount seconds or take 12-15 deep breaths.I have heard him say as I just mentioned,make the breaths deep and don't rush them as the point of them is recovery.Plus 15 seconds is less than 12-15 deep breaths....

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I guess not.Except that is what dante tells you to do,12-15 deeps breaths,and it's for recovery reasons......getting oxygen into your blood and to the muscles.I'd say it's one of the DC things that should be followed to a T.He tells older guys to do higher reps than 11-15 rp,he says alternate stretches are fine,he has no approved exercise list,if you see one,it was written by another.No routine for abs or cardio,but I've never heard him say wait x amount seconds or take 12-15 deep breaths.I have heard him say as I just mentioned,make the breaths deep and don't rush them as the point of them is recovery.Plus 15 seconds is less than 12-15 deep breaths....
I just meant as far as counting the rest time.. In my initial response i was just giving an example, and wasn't really trying to get too far into "dc principles" as to not confuse the OP.
Breathing is obviously important.

I have a pretty firm grasp on DC training.

Last edited: