iamhuge3

Awards
is this the way to a big back?

I do lots of pull downs, wide and close. I feel its the same ****

Sprawl

Sprawl

Awards
Pullups are the way to a wide back.

I guarantee the reason you're not feeling them right is because you are pulling with your hands. Try pulling from your elbows in, rather than your hands down.

iamhuge3

iamhuge3

Awards
i can only do about 6 reps at a time which is why im skeptacle about it doing anything

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
i can only do about 6 reps at a time which is why im skeptacle about it doing anything
Keep working at it.

Pulldowns and pullups produce a wide back;
rows produce a THICK back.

My pullups were weak - i could only manage about 6 like you.

I started doing 100 pullups once per week, on back day. I can now manage 15-20 reps easily.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Weighted pull ups and weighted dips are best upper body mass builders of all time.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Use the assisted pull up machine...

Here is a tip i read a while back by "doggcrapp" Makes allot of sense.
lat width: If some of you guys really realized lat width is all about the stretch and only secondarily pulling that weight down so you can call it a rep, you would be such the better bodybuilder for it. I guess thats all im going to really say on that subject....you want to overthink lat width here ill give you something to think about.....you know that last 12 inches or so on the return (eccentric) of a various form of chin or pulldown? Overthink that on how to work that hard (flaring/leaning back against the return/resisting against it/stretching against the return) instead of just "getting to the top so you can start your pull again "and youll end up a very happy man. Take that to the bank.
I do nice slow negatives, fighting against them and really focusing on my lats.. Really blasts them.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
70 degree barbell rows, deadlifts, powercleans give you a big, big back

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
if i was a teen again trying to build my back i would do deadlifts one row and pullups/chinups/variations. That is all you need. It would actually be more effective than all the machines i see people use.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts, Rows, Cleans, Pullups/Chins > Everything else including weak machines.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Keep working at it.

Pulldowns and pullups produce a wide back;
rows produce a THICK back.

My pullups were weak - i could only manage about 6 like you.

I started doing 100 pullups once per week, on back day. I can now manage 15-20 reps easily.
nice :box:......i'm gonna try that. set aside the ego and pride, and just have patience. my chins suck. right now anyway.......

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pull ups man and with weights and like people said deadlifts are good, but try sumo deadlift high pulls

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Pull ups suck...only because they are soo good for you.

BLANCO7

BLANCO7

Awards
you'd be surprised how many people can't do 1, let alone 6. once you can get to 3x10 easily, add weight. it's like anything else that is hard to do at first: the more you do it, the easier it becomes over time.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
:box:

IMO, they target the delts and traps a bit more than the back, but a great lift nonetheless.

My bad then, I thought he was referring to sumo deadlifts and high pulls as two separate exercises.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
you'd be surprised how many people can't do 1, let alone 6. once you can get to 3x10 easily, add weight. it's like anything else that is hard to do at first: the more you do it, the easier it becomes over time.
Agreed..Ive seen a couple of guys with great back width/development who didnt do any pulldowns, but did lots of weighted pullups and chins.