Chest and back on the same day?

remeizo

Awards
I was wondering how many out there do chest and back on the same day. And, if they notice a bigger pump on their chest after doing back work. I tend to do one set of chest excercises then a set of back excercises and alternate that way and I really feel like my pump is twice as good working out in this fashion. How about the rest of you?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Some people say that working opposing muscle groups (I forget the word atm, but in essence anti-synergists) together will help provide greater strength/gains in the gym (like working tri and bi on the same day ~ so the same principle would play into this.) However I personally would never want to put back and chest on the same day because the core exercises would just be way to draining (and which ever one you do second I would feel it would be short changed.)

You would still get a good pump going but that translates into very little as to how effective the workout is.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I do Chest, Shoulders, Tri, Back on the same day.:cheers:

firestation

Awards
I do chest and back together and have been for some time. I have made more gains on both chest and back since doing this than I ever did when doing each seperately. I alternate a chest exercise with a back exercise. When I've tried to seperate the two and do them on seperate days I have noticed less strength. It has worked for me....doesn't mean it would work for everyone. Also, it is very taxing and I take a rest day after.

Saurabh

Awards
I was wondering how many out there do chest and back on the same day. And, if they notice a bigger pump on their chest after doing back work. I tend to do one set of chest excercises then a set of back excercises and alternate that way and I really feel like my pump is twice as good working out in this fashion. How about the rest of you?
I used to do that and was greatly impressed. However a problem that I would observe would be of people hogging machine/benches in crowded gym. Say I am doing chest. I can hog a bench and make sure I do a bunch of stuff there. When I superset back and chest, I do dumbell press on bench then say did some wide grip pull ups. By the time I come back the bench is gone and so I have to wait..often I would end up using lot more machines that I would like to.

But if you can have access then go for it.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
i just NOW started a new routine TODAY that has chest/back together. i did chest/back today! weird! but yeah, it was a good workout, and i find that it goes quicker than i expected. i save my deadlifts for legs, but today's scheme was:

4 sets dips
6 sets wide pullups (was 8 but too much)
4 sets db flys
4 sets bb rows

i do them all in ten reps in superset fashion. it was pretty good!