Flat Bench VS Dumbell Bench

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.21%

Flat Bench VS Dumbell Bench

What one do you think is better, would your chest grow faster using dumbells or barbells? I tried looking up this thread but nothing came up =\, I'm not worried about strength more size than anything, so if you had to pick one to use to get more chest mass/better looking which would you choose? Feel free to tell me how stupid i am to ask this question, but its been on my mind every time i workout chest now...someone relive me of this anxiety lol, Because i think i read in one of my BB magazines that Jay Cutler only uses Dumbells... leads to curiosity(puts on flame retardant cape =P)

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.25%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I don't have a whole lot to say other than dumbells are easier on the shoulder joints.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.15%

I hate BB for incline. It just feels really awkward. Only thing I tend to do with a BB for chest is my decline. DUMBBELLS FTW!!!!
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

DB tends to make sure you don't get inconsistencies across your chest.. my right pec has been/is stronger than my left one because I always used BB and have literally zero coordination on the left side of my body..

I would switch it up -- I feel it more with DB's but I can press more with BB -- both would work together to build mass
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.8%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I love dumbbells. You isolate both sides and ensure that they're both doing the same amount of work. Of course barbell is going to allow for higher numbers and it's always good to mix everything up. Dumbbells just feel way more intense to me. I agree with Red Dog, do em both. Maybe a month of db, followed by a month of bb.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.21%

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    I love dumbbells. You isolate both sides and ensure that they're both doing the same amount of work. Of course barbell is going to allow for higher numbers and it's always good to mix everything up. Dumbbells just feel way more intense to me. I agree with Red Dog, do em both. Maybe a month of db, followed by a month of bb.
    sounds like a good idea, i just want my pecs to look the same lol, one is bigger than the other =\ not by alot though
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.91%

for over all chest size incline bench is the best
    switch it up every couple weeks or a month as previously mentioned but if you focus on incline your chest will blow up
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.21%

Quote Originally Posted by Benderzzz View Post
    for over all chest size incline bench is the best
    switch it up every couple weeks or a month as previously mentioned but if you focus on incline your chest will blow up
    The thread was about which of the flat would you prefer i got incline down...
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.73%

For what it's worth. I get a much greater pump out of flat bench. Wide grip. Though it is tough on the shoulders when heavier, they will adjust. My chest has grown both in size and strength tremendously since I started going high volume with heavy weight and low reps.
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.65%

Dumbbells should actually be better for chest growth for two main reasons:
    1. Higher use of stabalizers so more muscle fibers are activated and utilized on each rep.
    2. Dumbbells allow you to follow a range of motion that is more focused on chest than barbell. while sitting reading this post place one hand out in front of you a little wider out than your shoulder. Next place your other hand on directly on your chest. Finally take your hand that is out in front of you and move it from shoulder width to the center of your body and you will notice a fuller feeling in your chest.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.59%

I think you feel DB's more, and plus its evenly spread across the chest. But BB you can use more weight so, you can simulate more growth. Id say use them both BB, more for strength, DB's more for growth, and recovery. Just my opinion. Mark
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  242 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.3%

just wondering...would it be advantageous to utilize both techniques during the same workout?? say start with BB press and perhaps finish the workout with DB's to failure?? or would it be better to alternate the techniques week to week?? my main concern is that my gyms DB's only go up to 100lbs so I don't feel that a flat DB press would be enough to stimulate my chest.
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.65%

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEZE View Post
    just wondering...would it be advantageous to utilize both techniques during the same workout?? say start with BB press and perhaps finish the workout with DB's to failure?? or would it be better to alternate the techniques week to week?? my main concern is that my gyms DB's only go up to 100lbs so I don't feel that a flat DB press would be enough to stimulate my chest.
    You would probably be better off picking just one flat press. try fly and pullover variations as well. Just my opinion though.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.15%

Alrght so earlier today I switched it up and did all DB's besides decline, haven't done flat/incline with dumbbells for about a month. I'd have to say it was a great work-out and definitely had a great pump. I think I'm gonna do DB's for a few weeks then switch up to BB again.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.62%

what a confusing thread.

tip: flat would be the opposite of incline regarding this thread.

BB would be the opposite of DB.

Which do you like better? Flat or DB?

Uhh....i prefer Incline.

WTF?!
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.8%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by CornFed View Post
    what a confusing thread.

Uhh....i prefer Incline.

WTF?!
    Yes we have no bananas?
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.21%

Quote Originally Posted by CornFed View Post
    what a confusing thread.

Uhh....i prefer Incline.

WTF?!
    all i got to say is lol...., its about what flat bench chest workout you would prefer, not about incline, flies, dips, or anything but bench. Dumbell Flat Bench or BarBell Flat Bench, see its easy just read =p. Sounds like Dumbell is winning. hmm..
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.25%

What I would like to know why the f8ck is it that I can bench 145lbs but if I split that weight in half i.e 70lb'rs DB's I can't even lift em?

For DB's I can only get up to 55's for 5 roughly?

19. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82%

whether dumbells are better or not for growth i dont really know, but if you aren't changing up your workout monthly you are wrong. so i dont see how it would be possible to avoid either one.

the reason that dumbells are harder is simple, you have to balance the weight. of course you do on a barbell too but not like dumbells. this is why people that do bench on a smith machine and think they can do 400 pounds are dckholes.
  20. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.58%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    What one do you think is better, would your chest grow faster using dumbells or barbells?
    It is all relative bro. Longer armed guys seem to often benefit more from DBs. Shorter armed guys often like the BB. Most of us like to use both.

By-the-way it is "how you perform" the exercises and how you integrate them into your routine that determines growth not necessarily which exercise. Do you do them in such a way as to create maximium fiber damage? Tempo/TUT...constant tension... explosive vs slower eccentric just to name a few. Order of exercise is important: Are you following this exercise w/ one that creates a maximum stretch under load?

In other words how you do the exercises, how you incorporate them into the routine you have structured as well as your physical proportions all play a part in determining which exercise is most beneficial.
  21. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.58%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dynomite View Post
    ...this is why people that do bench on a smith machine and think they can do 400 pounds are dckholes.
    Which came first...the Smith machine bencher or the dckhole? In other words do you need to first be a dckhole to develop that belief or does the process of forming such a belief turn you into a dckhole?

The reason I ask is if it is the latter I bet their are several guys doing say 350lbs on the Smith Machine that I can warn.

"Hey you over there on the Smith Machine! You are in serious danger of becoming a dckhole!"

"Oh thanks bro...what can I do?"

"Stop what you're doing and immediately have a loud cell phone conversation...that way you just become an @sshole!"
  22. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82%

just "benching" on a smith machine is not enough to make one a dlickhole. however, if you push any weight on a smith machine and then say that you "benched" that weight, then that means you are a dickhole. this is just one way of becoming a dlckhole. there are many other ways to become one.
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

on the topic of Smith Machine benching, I think it has its place to go extremely heavy from time to time.. with a Smith you can focus solely on pushing the sh!t out of the weight instead of focusing on controlling it..

I dont advocate a Smith-heavy workout, but I think incorporating it every now and again might be acceptable.. the true dckholes are the ones with ILS
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.68%

Right now I am doing 2 Incline exercises. I am starting with barbell incline, and then go to dumbbell incline. After that I go to dumbbell flat (I switch between dumbbell flat and barbell flat every so often). I am doing this to get my upper chest stronger, and symetrical as well as defined. I only throw in decline once every couple weeks. So bottom line is variety, shocking muscles, and not becoming regular in your exercises.
  25. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.58%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jbono731 View Post
    Right now I am doing 2 Incline exercises. I am starting with barbell incline, and then go to dumbbell incline...
    Just be careful that one of these incline benchs isn't merely duplicating the other. Make sure they differ in some way and play productive parts in your routine.

...variety, shocking muscles, and not becoming regular in your exercises.
    Very good point! Last time I worked out in the UK I had a discussion with a very knowledgeable owner of a gym/trainer. He reinforced the concept that it is possible to get stronger week in & week out but not to gain mucle mass. The problem is that if you do the same exercises, in the same way as part of the same routine your body quickly adapts to the method of performance. The body becomes efficient at doing those exercises and arranges the firing off of neurons to become stronger at it each week. Over time...could be a month or two...the body becomes so good at neurol [sic?] recruitment that it doesn't need to use precious resources or intitiate time consuming processes to grow new muscle tissue.

So changing exercises on a regular basis is important...often we all get caught up in the numbers game on a favorite exercise and we stay with it too long...sure we get stronger but do we get bigger? The latter needs to be the primary measure of a bodybuilders success & determines if THAT particular exercise is more or less beneficial then the OTHER at any given point in time.
  26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.21%

Quote Originally Posted by datBtrue View Post
    It is all relative bro. Longer armed guys seem to often benefit more from DBs. Shorter armed guys often like the BB. Most of us like to use both.

By-the-way it is "how you perform" the exercises and how you integrate them into your routine that determines growth not necessarily which exercise. Do you do them in such a way as to create maximium fiber damage? Tempo/TUT...constant tension... explosive vs slower eccentric just to name a few. Order of exercise is important: Are you following this exercise w/ one that creates a maximum stretch under load?

In other words how you do the exercises, how you incorporate them into the routine you have structured as well as your physical proportions all play a part in determining which exercise is most beneficial.
    I know how to "perform" my exercises, im talking about how Jay Cutler only does dumbells and look at him, hes been Mr. O for a while.
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.68%

He is a professional, and not to mention obviously blessed with freak genetics. Everybody starts somewhere and no 2 people are alike. You cant just base your statements off of one person because dumbbells work for him, it might not be what maximizes YOUR growth.
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.21%

He is a professional, and not to mention obviously blessed with freak genetics. Everybody starts somewhere and no 2 people are alike. You cant just base your statements off of one person because dumbbells work for him, it might not be what maximizes YOUR growth.
    I'm not saying it will, i was simply asking which worked better for everyone here, and if they would have said dumbells more i would have asked what body type they were, and if it were ecto i would've ask them about their chest workout, im simply trying to learn like everyone else here... i want to become big like all of you, our goals are the same, im not trying to start conflicts im just wanting to maximize my growth potential. Every winner starts out a loser.
  29. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.68%

I understand that, I wasnt flaming you. I was just trying to get you to understand that everybody has their sweet spot. The biggest thing is dont get yourself into a repetative workout. Keep shocking the fibers.
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.91%

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    I'm not saying it will, i was simply asking which worked better for everyone here, and if they would have said dumbells more i would have asked what body type they were, and if it were ecto i would've ask them about their chest workout, im simply trying to learn like everyone else here... i want to become big like all of you, our goals are the same, im not trying to start conflicts im just wanting to maximize my growth potential. Every winner starts out a loser.
    then just do dumbbells and do not touch a barbell during your chest days for a month and see what happens. that is long enough to tell one way or the other.
    no one can tell you if using dumbbells is going to work better or worse because everyone is drastically different physically as you know.
  31. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.02%

I agree that DB bench is definitely better for growth, however, do not neglect BB bench. One problem with DB bench is that it does promote free range of motion. Free range of motion allows the body to find the path of least resistance, basically the easiest way to push up. For most people this means the arms come in closer and you tend to use more of your triceps than you would had you been using a BB. A lot of people notice that even though they are extremely strong using DB, when they get under a BB they feel weak.

I have found it works best for me if I use two sets of workouts rotating week by week. One week I have about 2-4 sets of BB bench to start out my chest day and the next week I don't use any, this way I am increasing strength throughout my chest.

This may work for some of you .
  32. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  242 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.3%

Quote Originally Posted by grantr View Post
    When the arms come closer, you can incorporate more of your chest.

I go through phases of benching and doing DB work. I recently started benching again after a 20 week break and my numbers are greater than what they were before. I prefer DBs but I don't have access to heavy enough DBs ( I only have up to 130, and thats with putting magnetic weights on the 120s ) so first I tire myself out on bench, then I hit it with DBs.

The problem is not BB vs DB. The problem is with the form you use. When benching or db pressing you MUST keep your shoulders out of the picture. Do this by squeezing your shoulder blades together and keeping your shoulders DOWN. You don't have to extend your arms all the way up, and you'll see you can't extend them as far if you keep your shoulders back and down. That is a sign you are doing the exercise CORRECTLY. God don't even ask me how many people I see doing chest presses wrong, its like 98% of the people I see, and it bothers the piss out of me.

I recently started incorporating DB press into my chest routine. I now rotate the two every few weeks. It was hard to break the BB Bench habit but I am loving the pump from the DB's. I also have the same problem as you but worse...@ my gym the DBs only hit 100lbs! Tonight I incorporated a modified rack-drop set...100-80-60-50 to failure no rest. DAMN!!!

I think a big part of my increased pump from DB presses is the advice from Charles Glass...which you make mention of here. Keeping the arms close and elbows slightly forward allows for more pectoral contraction and virtually eliminates delt work. The slower controlled movements allowed me to feel all the work directly in my chest. In fact, I did an entire chest workout w/DB's tonight and it was one of the best chest pumps I've had in months. DB Bench, DB Incline, DB Flyes, DB Pullovers. Burned out with Perfect Push-Ups to failure. Great stuff! Great thread!!
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.33%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I always do Barb Bench first and later in the workout ill do Dumbell Bench. Is this really bad? i just never feel like im spent after benching and my chest has more
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.15%

Depends how many exercises you do. I wouldn't overly kill my chest if I feel like doing a bit more I go to the chest press machine quick and rock out a few sets to put the icing on the cake. If you find your chest isn't really killed why not add in something different to take advantage of it.

The question I have is when doing DB press how many of you turn the dumbbells at the top position (palms facing).
    Another question I know this is totally side-tracking but how important do you think decline press is, I haven't been doing it these past 2 weeks because I'm doing lower volume.
  35. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.38%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I like bench for strength, Db for contour.
    NSCA - CSCS
  36. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.39%

I did dumbell last summer during my cut. When bulking came back on I did flat bb and incline db. Few months later I see people I havent seen since and they go MAN YOUR CHEST SHRUNK! Back to dumbell I went! Im gonna keep flat dumbell, but might incorperate bb incline just to see what happens.

Similar Forum Threads

1. smith machine vs reg bench ?
    By J4cK3dx in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 11-13-2011, 12:22 PM
  2. Flat Bench vs. Incline Bench
    By noviceiron in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 04:33 PM
  3. manual benching vs machine benching
    By darkvard in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5