Question about push/pull balancing - AnabolicMinds.com

Question about push/pull balancing

  1. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4373

    Reputation

    Question Question about push/pull balancing


    Are lat pulldowns classified as scapula depression and lateral raises classified as scapula elevation?
    I am putting together a routine for a beginner and want it balanced.

  2. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,982
    Rep Power
    917959

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I use lateral raises as a pull exercise, but now that I think about it, it is a push because the contraction is when the resistance is distal.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4373

    Reputation

    This is the routine incase anyone would like to comment.

    Its 2 days per week, push/pull split.

    day 1
    DB Bench press 3x8-12
    Decline DB Bench press 3x8-12
    Lying Lat raises 3x8-12
    Decline tricep ext 2x8-12
    Hyper ext 1x8-12
    Squats 3x12

    day 2
    Bent over DB rows 3x8-12
    Rear delt row 3x8-12
    Lat Pull down 3x8-12
    Bomber Curls 1x8-12
    Leg curls 3x8-12
    calf raises 3x8-12
    VKR 3x8-12
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,982
    Rep Power
    917959

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Why did you exclude military press? Also, are you going to alternate push/pull exercises during each session?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4373

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I use lateral raises as a pull exercise, but now that I think about it, it is a push because the contraction is when the resistance is distal.
    Im going by point #5 in this article http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531

    But according to that I think I should have only 3 sets for bench instead of 6 because bench counts as a protraction and an internal rotation. I wished the author used an example routine.
  6. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4373

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Why did you exclude military press? Also, are you going to alternate push/pull exercises during each session?
    The negatives are outwaying the positives for me.
    I dont want too much internal rotation and front delt dominance, its just so commom to see that these days, and OHPs do have there risks although minor.

    What do you mean alternate push pull excercises?
  7. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,982
    Rep Power
    917959

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    Are lat pulldowns classified as scapula depression and lateral raises classified as scapula elevation?
    I am putting together a routine for a beginner and want it balanced.
    Yes and yes. Side laterals and upright rows have similar motions and I know that upright rows are scapular elevation.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,982
    Rep Power
    917959

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    The negatives are outwaying the positives for me.
    I dont want too much internal rotation and front delt dominance, its just so commom to see that these days, and OHPs do have there risks although minor.

    What do you mean alternate push pull excercises?
    In your exercise order, do you go push-pull or push-push-pull-pull?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4373

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    In your exercise order, do you go push-pull or push-push-pull-pull?
    Im abit confused. Monday push, thursday pull. all other days off. The person only wants to work out 2 days per week, seeing as though there just starting out I want to make things easy for them, I know its not the best routine but after 2-3 months I am going to put them on full body 3 days per week which they should appreciate due to shorter work outs.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,982
    Rep Power
    917959

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    Im abit confused. Monday push, thursday pull. all other days off. The person only wants to work out 2 days per week, seeing as though there just starting out I want to make things easy for them, I know its not the best routine but after 2-3 months I am going to put them on full body 3 days per week which they should appreciate due to shorter work outs.
    You answered my question. Monday is push and Thursday is pull. In that case, I would say to do push and pull exercises on each training day.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4373

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You answered my question. Monday is push and Thursday is pull. In that case, I would say to do push and pull exercises on each training day.
    Sort of like a 2 day per week full body workout? makes sense, I will think something up after breakfast.
  12. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,982
    Rep Power
    917959

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    Sort of like a 2 day per week full body workout? makes sense, I will think something up after breakfast.
    Something like that.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4373

    Reputation

    Decline DB Bench press 2x8-12
    Incline DB Bench press 2x8-12
    Bent over DB Row 4x8-12
    Lying Lat raise 3x8-12
    Lat pulldown 4x8-12
    Shrugs 1x8-12
    Cuban press(w scapula depressed) 1x40
    DB Rear delt row 3x8-12
    Bomber Curl 1x8-12
    Decline Skull Crusher 2x8-12
    Hyper extension 2x8-12
    Squats 3x12

    I dont know how, but I realised lat pulldown is an internal rotation, and bent over rows are not an external rotation.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. push- pull movement question
    By jhizzle in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-08-2014, 03:56 PM
  2. pulling vs pushing exercises balance
    By luka5 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 02:16 PM
  3. Want to ask a question about injectables.
    By CROWLER in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 12:18 PM
  4. Question about T-1 Pro??
    By windwords7 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-31-2002, 04:07 PM
  5. questions about a few roids
    By hamper19 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-29-2002, 10:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in