Awards
  • Established
Hey folks.

Any thoughts on rack pulls? benefits?

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
I have used them before. You can go a lot heavier than BLDL off the floor. I enjoyed them a lot!

It also takes the legs out of most of the exercise, so if you are also squatting heavy it won't detract from that, IMHO.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
I have used them before. You can go a lot heavier than BLDL off the floor. I enjoyed them a lot!

It also takes the legs out of most of the exercise, so if you are also squatting heavy it won't detract from that, IMHO.
Agreed I love them alot. Helps me out cause of my size deadlifts are hard for me not trying to make excuses. I like them alot cause it thickens my traps and upperback and like Wilman says it takes the legs out.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It helps to build an insanely thick back. I alternated between rack deads and traditional deads for about 6 months and I went from 315x3 to 425x4 in that time frame.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
That's awesome progress Rodja! That's my favorite thing about them, you can pull some insane weight! You feel like a freakin' beast!!!

Thanks MrT (couldn't help it :D) I'm adding those again to my back routine! :dl:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's awesome progress Rodja! That's my favorite thing about them, you can pull some insane weight! You feel like a freakin' beast!!!

That's MrT (couldn't help it :D) I'm adding those again to my back routine! :dl:
I did feel awesome when I was pulling 515 on rack pulls about a year ago. I am not that strong currently, but I will get back there within the summer.

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
where do you guys pull from

knee level?

slightly lower?

i pull from knee level and want to make sure its correct

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I usually set the pins about an inch below the knees.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great for building back, as well as improving deadlift (Just above the knee is a sticking point for me).

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
I set it so that when I address the bar (hello bar :D) it is right above my knee caps w/ my legs slightly bent.

Nice pulls, R. I think the most I did was 405, don't rememeber. I'll find out next week! ;) Rack pulls and RPM - dangerous combo!!! :head:

Customizer

Black Star Labs
Awards
great upper back builder, I've seen some folks use absolutely ridiculous poundages on these, upwards of 1500 (no typo)

also if you have a thick bar, 2.5 or 3 inch, these are simply an even more amazing exercise, it opens up a whole new dimension of training your torso which would especially benefit a wrestler or grappler

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
thanks for the replies guys...I cant wait to do rack's tonight :dl:

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
I started rack pulls as of thursday. Always making excuses to not do deadlifts so I had to try something. I have to stand on 3 plates to get the bar the 2" below the knee cap, really felt them the next day. I love it

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks much for the replies guys I am goign to be thrwoing that into back day on thursday. I did heavy deads this past thursday. heavey for me that is. So I am hoping ot add more for the rack pulls. :dl:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just make sure to keep your form good. You may also notice that you get a little stronger for the first several WO's because your body is adapting to the additional poundages.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
I Love Rack Deads!!!! I set the bar a couple inches below my knees so as to get some leg work but without putting my lower back in danger. I work up to a couple sets @ 365 X 8 reps with good form. My goal is higher but for me it takes time. There is nothing, absolutely no other exercise that makes me feel better. I get leg, back and shoulder work all at the same time. I warm up with heavy Hammer Strength Pulldowns (360 X 6) and Low Rows (410 X 6). I also do some plate raises (45 lbs) and some HS Shoulder Presses. I then finish off with some Barbell Shrugs. Everything is planned around getting myself ready to do the Racks.

FWIW, I find my back is so strong that if I concentrate on "throwing" my lats into my BPs I actually get a better lift off which I trace back to the Racks.

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I threw them in on Sunday as a double session. Damn RPM wont let me rest. THey were great and hit a "largeer" number than I expected.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
Alright fellas, hit some rack pulls today... worked my way up to my last 2 sets for 8 @ 405. Just above my knees (couldn't set the pins any lower) with straps on the last 2 sets and belt. I want to try a different rack where I can set the pins to just below my knees.

I did rub my thighs a bit raw with the bar...forgot to wear pants! ;)

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Put some plates under your feat to get higher. On my rack I need to have 3 25's under each foot to get proper height. I feel like a giant when at the top of the rep

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
Put some plates under your feat to get higher. On my rack I need to have 3 25's under each foot to get proper height. I feel like a giant when at the top of the rep
Good idea! :thumbsup: Reps to you my man!

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
Man...my back is already sore form this morning's pulls!!! :head:

I can feel it in my traps and upper back mostly and a little in my lower back. SWEET! We'll see how sore I am tomorrow morning!

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
I take it you love the soreness as much as I do? The next day after I did pulls I was so sore, I was really happy and went around the house going YA WHAT A WORKOUT YESTERDAY!

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah buddy!!! It's like a badge of honor! If I wince at work when I get up from my chair, one of the girls will look at me and say "Leg day?" LOL

DOMS is where it's at! :D

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah buddy!!! It's like a badge of honor! If I wince at work when I get up from my chair, one of the girls will look at me and say "Leg day?" LOL

DOMS is where it's at! :D
I used to love DOMS, but now I try to avoid bad DOMS. Training MMA while extremely sore is not fun.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
I used to love DOMS, but now I try to avoid bad DOMS. Training MMA while extremely sore is not fun.
I bet it must be BRUTAL!

Training MOW is OK with DOMS!

Mixed
Office
Work

:rofl:

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
man sometimes I just get greedy. Did 505 for 2 on rack pulls this afternoon, and put the weight back a little too fast and smacked it right into my right knee. Damn the bruise is already there:frustrate

tunnelrat

tunnelrat

Awards
  • Established
rotate with deads!!!

i rotate pin pulls with sumo deads; just started this routine 2 months ago.

i do the pin pulls with a double-overhand grip from varied heights- from lowest hole to just below knees.

the deads are done with a mixed grip.

this combination of pulls has been nothing short of AMAZING, from an absolute strength standpoint, to hypertrophy.

ManInTheBox

ManInTheBox

Awards
I love rack pulls. You will have the sorest traps and lower/middle back for days. You can do quite a bit more weight than regular deads. Just use good form and don't bounce the weight too hard.

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just hit a pr for myself with RP's 510 4 reps. It was like christmas for me

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 3
Training Forum 30
Training Forum 3
Training Forum 8
Training Forum 4