German Volume Training

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Okay boys, since I have had so many questions on it, I will post it here. For me, GVT is one of the BEST routines when I am "on" I have found nothing like it for putting on size. The only issue is by set 8-9 the pump gets painful, but you poush thru it. I suggest anyone going for another good cycle give it a shot.

German Volume Training
By Charles Poliquin

Supersets and tri-sets allow you to perform a lot of work in a short period of time. The rest-pause method allows you to use heavier weights, so you can recruit the higher threshold muscle fibers, and eccentric training enables you to overcome strength plateaus. The bottom line is that almost any training method will work (provided you do it with intensity!), at least for the few weeks it takes for your body to adapt to it. There is, however, one training system that stands above all the rest. It's brutally hard, but I've found it to be a very effective way to pack on muscle fast!

In strength-coaching circles, this method is often called the "ten sets method." Because it has its roots in German-speaking countries, I like to call it German Volume Training. To the best of my knowledge, this training system originated in Germany in the mid-'70's and was popularized by Rolf Feser, who was then the National Coach of Weightlifting. A similar protocol was promoted by Vince Gironda in the U.S., but regardless of who actually invented it, it works.

In Germany, the ten-sets method was used in the off-season to help weightlifters gain lean body mass. It was so efficient that lifters routinely moved up a full weight class within 12 weeks. It was the base program of Canadian weightlifter Jacques Demers, Silver Medalist in the Los Angeles Olympic Games. Jacques was known in weightlifting circles for his massive thighs, and he gives credit to the German method for achieving such a spectacular level of hypertrophy. The same method was also used by Bev Francis in her early days of bodybuilding to pack on muscle.

The program works because it targets a group of motor units, exposing them to an extensive volume of repeated efforts, specifically, 10 sets of a single exercise. The body adapts to the extraordinary stress by hypertrophying the targeted fibers. To say this program adds muscle fast is probably an understatement. Gains of ten pounds or more in six weeks are not uncommon, even in experienced lifters!

Goals and Guidelines
The goal of the German Volume Training method is to complete ten sets of ten reps with the same weight for each exercise. You want to begin with a weight you could lift for 20 reps to failure if you had to. For most people, on most exercises, that would represent 60% of their 1RM load. Therefore, if you can bench press 300 lbs for 1 rep, you would use 180 lbs for this exercise.

For lifters new to this method, I recommend using the following body-part splits: Day 1: chest and back, Day 2: legs and abs, Day 3: off, Day 4: arms and shoulders, Day 5: off.

When using this program or any other, for that matter, you should keep a detailed journal of the exact sets/reps and rest intervals performed, and only count the repetitions completed in strict form. Here are a few more guidelines to ensure optimal progress:

Rest Intervals: When bodybuilders start with this method, they often question its value for the first several sets because the weight won't feel heavy enough. However, there is minimal rest between sets (about 60 seconds when performed in sequence and 90-120 seconds when performed as a superset), which incurs cumulative fatigue. (Interestingly enough, you might find you get stronger again during the eighth and ninth sets. This is because of a short-term neural adaptation.) Because of the importance of the rest intervals, you should use a stopwatch to keep the rest intervals constant. This is very important, as it becomes tempting to lengthen the rest time as you fatigue.

Tempo: For long-range movements such as squats, dips, and chins, use a 4-0-2 tempo; this means you would lower the weight in four seconds and immediately change direction and lift for two seconds. For movements such as curls and triceps extensions, use a 3-0-2 tempo.

Number of Exercises: One, and only one, exercise per body part should be performed. Therefore, select exercises that recruit a lot of muscle mass. Triceps kickbacks and leg extensions are definitely out, squats and bench presses are definitely in. For supplementary work for individual body parts (like triceps and biceps), you can do 3 sets of 10-20 reps.

Training Frequency: Because this is such an intense program, it'll take you longer to recover. In fact, if you're familiar with the writings of Peter Sisco and John Little, you'll find that the average "Power Factor Rating" of the 10-sets method is about 8 billion. Consequently, one training session every four to five days per body part is plenty.

Overload Mechanism: Once you're able to do 10 sets of 10 with constant rest intervals, increase the weight on the bar by 4% to 5%, and repeat the process. Refrain from using forced reps, negatives, or burns. The volume of the work will take care of the hypertrophy. Expect to have some deep muscle soreness without having to resort to set prolongation techniques. In fact, after doing a quad and hams session with this method, it takes the average bodybuilder about five days to stop limping.

Beginner/Intermediate Program: Phase 1
This is a sample routine based on a five-day cycle. Once you've used this method for six workouts per body part, it's time to move on to a more intensive program for a three-week period.

Day 1: Chest and Back
Exercise Sets Reps Tempo Rest Interval
A-1 Decline Dumbbell Presses,
Semi-Supinated Grip
(palms facing each other) 10 10 4-0-2 90 seconds
A-2 Chin-Ups (palms facing you) 10 10 4-0-2 90 seconds
B-1 Incline Dumbbell Flyes 3 10-12 3-0-2 60 seconds
B-2 One-Arm Dumbbell Rows 3 10-12 3-0-2 60 seconds

Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset. Incidentally, I only recommend three sets of ten in this program for the "B" exercises. The "B" exercises constitute supplementary work, and doing ten sets of them would result in overtraining.

Day 2: Legs and Abs
A-1 Back Squats 10 10 4-0-2 90 seconds
A-2 Lying Leg Curls 10 10 4-0-2 90 seconds
B-1 Low-Cable Pull-Ins* 3 15-20 2-0-2 60 seconds
B-2 Seated Calf Raises 3 15-20 2-0-2 60 seconds

(*Take a weightlifting belt and buckle it. Attach it to the low pulley of a cable crossover machine. Lie down on your back in front of the machine, and hook your feet in the belt. Then pull your knees towards your chest.)

Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset.

Day 3: Off
Day 4: Arms and Shoulders
A-1 Parallel Bar Dips 10 10 4-0-2 90 seconds
A-2 Incline Hammer Curls 10 10 4-0-2 90 seconds
B-1 Bent-Over Dumbbell
Lateral Raises* 3 10-12 2-0-X 60 seconds
B-2 Seated Dumbbell
Lateral Raises 3 10-12 2-0-X 60 seconds

(*While seated on the edge of a bench with your torso bent over, raise the dumbbells out to the side, making sure the top two knuckles (the ones closest to your thumb) are in line with your ears at the top of the movement.)

Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset. "X" in the tempo means to move as fast as possible, keeping the weight under control.

Day 5: Off

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Beginner/Intermediate Program: Phase 2
After six of those five-day cycles, I recommend you do a three-week phase where the average set is six to eight reps, and do only four to six sets per body part over a five-day cycle, or you can do any other split that suits your recovery pattern. After this three-week block, you can return to the German Volume Training method by doing the following ten sets of six reps routine. In the exercises that are prescribed for 10 sets, use a load you'd normally be able to do 12 repetitions with. The goal in this phase is to do ten sets of six with that load.

SAMPLE 10 sets of 6 routine:

Day 1: Chest and Back
A-1 Incline Dumbbell Presses 10 6 5-0-1 90 seconds
A-2 Wide-Grip Pull-Ups
(palms facing away from you) 10 6 5-0-1 90 seconds
B-1 Flat Dumbbell Flyes 3 6 3-0-1 60 seconds
B-2 Bent-Over Rows with EZ Bar 3 6 3-0-1 60 seconds

Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset.

Day 2: Legs and Abs
A-1 Bent-Knee Deadlifts 10 6 5-0-1 90 seconds
A-2 Seated Leg Curls 10 6 5-0-1 90 seconds
B-1 Twisting Crunches 3 12-15 3-0-3 60 seconds
B-2 Standing Calf Raises 3 12-15 3-0-3 60 seconds

Day 3: Off
Day 4: Arms and Shoulders
A-1 Parallel Bar Dips 10 6 5-0-1 90 seconds
A-2 Incline Hammer Curls 10 6 5-0-1 90 seconds
B-1 Bent-Over Dumbbell
B-2 Seated Dumbbell

Day 5: Off

wardog

Awards
  • Established
German Volume Training for the Advanced Trainee
For the advanced trainee, variety in training is even more important to elicit adaptation. With the advanced trainee, I use a system called the four percent method. That is, I increase the load four to five percent every workout for two workouts in a row, and I reduce the target rep by one rep for every weight increase. Then I reduce the weight four to five percent and increase the rep bracket to its original starting point. Since this is very mathematical, let's look at an example that will clearly illustrate this point.

Let's say you can barbell curl 100 lbs for 12 strict reps, and you haven't been able to increase the amount of reps or weight on this exercise. Here's a sample routine that would increase your curling strength:

Workout 1: 10 sets of 6 @ 110 lbs
Workout 2: 10 sets of 5 @ 115 lbs
Workout 3: 10 sets of 4 @ 120 lbs
Workout 4: 10 sets of 6 @ 115 lbs
Workout 5: 10 sets of 5 @ 120 lbs
Workout 6: 10 sets of 4 @ 125 lbs
Workout 7:
Test day. At this point, you would curl 120 for 12 reps, a 9% gain over 6 workouts!

Here's an example of the German Volume Training method with the 4% to 5% method for someone who can bench press 300 lbs 10 times in strict form:

Workout 1: 10 sets of 5 @ 300 lbs
Workout 2: 10 sets of 4 @ 315 lbs
Workout 3: 10 sets of 3 @ 330 lbs
Workout 4: 10 sets of 5 @ 315 lbs
Workout 5: 10 sets of 4 @ 330 lbs
Workout 6: 10 sets of 3 @ 345 lbs
Workout 7:
Test day. At this point, you would bench press 330 lbs for 10 reps.

To recap, perform the Beginner/Intermediate Phase 1 program for six weeks (six 5-day cycles). Then, progress to the Beginner/Intermediate Phase 2 program for three weeks. After that, you'll be ready to graduate to the Advanced program.

This program is elegant in its simplicity, but that's what the Germans do best. Just ask any Mercedes Benz or BMW owner.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Bump fro Wardog! I use it at least twice a year and love it. GVT is incredible!

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
wardog, this the same article thats from BB.com right? ya, thats a good read. thanx man for bringing it up here for us. im sure many people on this board are interested in GVT.

wardog

Awards
  • Established
If it is from BB.com then they took it from the site I have always refered people to. I wasn't aware they had an article on it.

ChaseRoy

Awards
lets see some pics. that display the fruit of your labor!  I think every thing looks great, and i am not saying that we must jusge your work through how you look...but, lets judge your work through how you look!  haha, lots of love bro.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
If it is from BB.com then they took it from the site I have always refered people to. I wasn't aware they had an article on it.
you know what...it is the same and the dude that posted it over there took it from the same Charles Poliquin. good read man.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Thanks for the post wardog, awesome, should get a lot of karma for this one.....I just have one question, to be honest I wasnt too familiar with GVT, but 10 sets of 10 reps for say bench press seems like over training to me....and then to do another chest exercise for 10 sets and 10 reps...wow. I know you've done it and a lot of other bro's have as well Im sure, can someone set me right and maybe drop me some honest feedback on the results?

Thanks again wardog

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I've seen it around ever since I started training years ago, but never actually tried it. Many people like it and switch to this a couple times a year I hear. I'm going to start GVT 2 weeks from now, when I start my next PH cycle. Great post Wardog.

crazypete

Awards
hey YJ i think you may have misread something. its 10 sets of 10 reps (or less for the advanced routine). also you would do it as a super set so you could get 4-5 min rest between sets. a routine could be:

day 1: bench, chinups, repeat nine times for a total of ten sets
- do set of bench, rest 2 min, set of chins, rest 2 min, bench,etc.
- also the tempo is important lower the weight for 4 sec, explode up
day 2: squats & deadlifts as above, can do 3 sets of calves after (yeah right!)
day 3: rest
day 4: french press, barbell curl as above, 3 sets of lateral raises (poliquin recomends not doing shoulder presses as front and rear delts will get plent of work on day 1)
day 5: rest
cycle repeats 5 times for a total of 6, that's 30 days, perfect for a 4 weeker of ph for those inclined

PS YJ do you think that i could maybe set up a separate section with poliquin's theories, i have hundreds of pages of his writings (archives from the t-rag website before they sucked and he left), perhaps we can get around copyright issues by citing as this is an educational forum, maybe and ian king section too (i know he's still with t-rag, but his training methodology in my opinion is pretty good)

anyway, good night all, pete

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established

day 1: bench, chinups, repeat nine times for a total of ten sets
- do set of bench, rest 2 min, set of chins, rest 2 min, bench,etc.
- also the tempo is important lower the weight for 4 sec, explode up
day 2: squats & deadlifts as above, can do 3 sets of calves after (yeah right!)
day 3: rest
day 4: french press, barbell curl as above, 3 sets of lateral raises (poliquin recomends not doing shoulder presses as front and rear delts will get plent of work on day 1)
day 5: rest
cycle repeats 5 times for a total of 6, that's 30 days, perfect for a 4 weeker of ph for those inclined

good layout. good chance ill try this next cycle through. only thing i dont like is the lack of miliatary/presses for shoulders. (one of my favorite lifts) also, (as you said)...ya right for the 3 sets of calve raises.....20 sets of squats/deads total....ya right

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the post wardog, awesome, should get a lot of karma for this one.....I just have one question, to be honest I wasnt too familiar with GVT, but 10 sets of 10 reps for say bench press seems like over training to me....and then to do another chest exercise for 10 sets and 10 reps...wow. I know you've done it and a lot of other bro's have as well Im sure, can someone set me right and maybe drop me some honest feedback on the results?

Thanks again wardog
The weight you choose makes the first 2-3 sets seem pretty light. I usually get thru sets 1-5 without a huge effort, it is the next 5 that really "work" me. You also just do ONE excersize for a bodypart, plus the optional 3 sets of a little "finishing excersize" So your workout for chest back would look like this:

Bench Press 10x10
T-bar rows 10x10

These two excersizes are supersetted back and forth. So a set of bench, rest, a set of rows, rest, bench...etc.

Then the three set finishers really are optional. If you wanted to do them it would be say:

db flyes 3x10
pulldowns 3x10

Again, these are supersetted also. You keep the SAME weight the entire time. So say a guy who can bench 225 for one rep, he would start GVT at around 135 to start. The first sets would seem light, but then it gets rougher. The soreness is real bad the first few times you do it, but you get used to it.

Later,
Wardog

wardog

Awards
  • Established

good layout. good chance ill try this next cycle through. only thing i dont like is the lack of miliatary/presses for shoulders. (one of my favorite lifts) also, (as you said)...ya right for the 3 sets of calve raises.....20 sets of squats/deads total....ya right
You pick your excersizes bro. I do a shoulder/arm day where I do military press, close grip press, and bar curls.

Leg day is....insane to say the least. Don't think of walking much after.

Sean

Awards
Just got back from doing legs the GVT way. :)

One word: Ow.

crazypete

Awards
yeah, leg days on GVT are good times, can't wait for the next time around.

a couple notes:
1. read the original carefully and follow it to a T.
2. especially read the part on tempo
3. charles poliquin is in favour of not performing direct shoulder work other than three sets of lateral raises on arm day. i superset with external rotations to correct a muscle strength inbalance. CP figures that enough work is done during chest/back day (bench hits anterior delts, chins, the posterior). when i did this two months ago, i didn't do shoulders and still gained strength. the shoulder workout would possibly hurt the next workout 2 days after when you hit chest again (this is due to the ridiculously high volume).
4. wait 12 weeks to do again.

hey could we get a workout forum (kind of goes hand in hand with nutrition, i volunteer to moderate)

gvt rules, cheers, pete

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
BTW some people call this the "Perfect 10"

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
hey could we get a workout forum (kind of goes hand in hand with nutrition, i volunteer to moderate)
ya, i mentioned it once in the "what to add to this forum" thread. Its a good idea.

pjorstad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
sorry but doing 10 sets of 10 reps never worked for me AT ALL, except to give my body a rest. And im talking about using a weight that you can only do for 20 reps for 10 sets of 10 reps.

I give this method 2 thumbs down, hardly got sore off of it too.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by pjorstad
sorry but doing 10 sets of 10 reps never worked for me AT ALL, except to give my body a rest. And im talking about using a weight that you can only do for 20 reps for 10 sets of 10 reps.

I give this method 2 thumbs down, hardly got sore off of it too.
Increase the weight then some bro. I dont care who you are if you find that perfect weight where your hitting failure your last 2-3 sets, you will grow on GVT. JMO.

pjorstad

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I use it as a way to get off heavy lifting not as a time to grow. And i did it for 2 weeks and tried to get my weights closer the 2nd time so i would hit almost failure after 10 reps on the lat 2 sets and i came pretty close and yet still nothing phenomenol. In my opinion its best for taking a break from heavy lifting and to build up endurance, did nothing else for me.

macattack

Awards
I tried it on legs

And it worked great, could barely finish .

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
absolutely the leg days are the most grueling. ive done squats and deads combo....had to actually wimp and and stop after 3 weeks (3 days) :( and lighten it up a tad and replace deads with stiff-legged deads/leg curls.....others at my gym ask why the reps are moderately high when this training main focus is on strength/size gains (yup...the standard "high rep=toning, low-rep=mass" philosohpy they have). but shoot, when you see results from gvt, along with a sound diet, rest, and ph/supps, how can anyone question eh?

macattack

Awards
I dont know but next cycle i will try it out and see just where i get with it, still researching it Sage, everyone i talk to thats done it say they got great results especially with a cycle. I forgot to mention i tried doing 10x10 of hamstring curls with the 10x10 sqauts and couldnt finish:)

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Well, pretty good so far!! I'm on week 4 of 6 and each week I'm increasing nicely. Of course I am on cycle right now, but whatever helps :)

The leg days are still killer and don't get any easier!

Other than that all is well, I'd recommend this for anyone who wants a change or is starting a cycle.

yourdaddy

yourdaddy

Awards
quick question. while using the GVT program, should one change the exercises they perform for a bodypart each time they work that bodypart or do the same exercise for each of the 6 workouts?

Buck

Awards
DAMN!!!

I can't think of a better way to say it. I started doing a build up to full GVT last night (5 sets to begin with) and I must say that it kicks major butt.

I did my lower body last night and today I have a deep soreness in the quads and glutes. Not sure I will ever be able to do something to make my calves sore the next day, they just recover to damn fast.

Now the strange part. I have what seems like a full body pump going on right now. It started up shortly after lunch and it is kind of wild. I feel like my pecs are about to rip my shirt open (they aren't I just feel that way). I really don't know how to explain this, but damn it feels good! All I know is if this is the same tomorrow after my upper body tonight I am gonna be sold on GVT before I even get up to the 10 sets.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
BTW some people call this the "Perfect 10"
On Anthony Ellis's program; its called 10x10s

i didn't gain much when i went on 3 weeks of it; of course i wasn't hitting it true to form either... not enough reps or too many...

i'd like to try it; i just don't wanna be disappointed when i try it on my upcoming fina cycle

txwakeskater

Awards
GVT is hell bros, I did legs on monday and they still very sore. Did back last night and the soreness is starting too set in :D good post Wardog ! karma fo u :D

crazypete

Awards
for you guys out there doing the squat/deadlift superset, you might want to try a squat/leg curl superset and a deadlift/leg press superset separated by 3 days. BTW this is for those who have done the advanced routine before and recover quick. one of my clients put on 20 lbs in 12 weeks without any supplementation other than whey (okay hes a big boy 6'3", 220 before, 240 now).

doing a squat/deadlift superset is alot of stress on the lower back, this routine is less stress and more volume, but reps are 5±1 so total reps per workout is ~50 per muscle group.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE THE BEGINNER (10x10) WORKOUT. YOU WILL GET BETTER RESULTS FROM THAT THE FIRST TIME.

cheers, pete

moe4you

Awards
stregth?

Wardog,
How much has your strength gone up in this routine?

Nelson

Duration of Workout

Not that this is much of a concern when `on`, but how long does a routine in the Beginner/Intermediate Program take to complete.
I calculated that it would take about 63 minutes to complete if done according to the article.
Does this sound right?
Also, there`s no way I could do 10 sets of 10 reps for chins.
Do I just do my best or change to a different exercise?

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Re: Duration of Workout

Originally posted by Nelson
Not that this is much of a concern when `on`, but how long does a routine in the Beginner/Intermediate Program take to complete.
I calculated that it would take about 63 minutes to complete if done according to the article.
Does this sound right?
Also, there`s no way I could do 10 sets of 10 reps for chins.
Do I just do my best or change to a different exercise?
Yeah, took me a little over a hour. I would suggest using bent-over rows instead of chins, that's what I did. If you feel you can get to 10 sets of 10 fairly quickly, then go with chins. Other exercises could be the lat pulldown, or if your gym has an assisted chin machine, you could use that.

Nelson

B Exercises

Cheers jweave.
I think I`ll do the bent bb rows as an A & do the chins as a B superset.
It says to use 60% of 1RM for the exercises.
Does this apply to both the A & B supersets?
Since the B supersets are only 3 sets, I thought that maybe I could use a little more weight.

I`m a little confused about the rest periods.
Is it a set of decline db then onto bb rows without a rest followed by 90 seconds rest & repeat; or
decline db 90 seconds rest then bb rows, 90 secs rest & repeat.

BTW, this is the split I plan on using once my order arrives from AnabolicMinds:

Chest/Back
A1 decline db
A2 bent bb row
B1 incl flyes
B2 chins

Legs/Abs
A1 squats :eek:
A2 seated leg curls
B1 incline hip raise
B2 smith standing calf raise

Arms/Shoulders
A1 ezi close-grip
A2 ezi curls
B1 rear lateral raises
B2 side lateral raises

How`z it look guys?

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
the split is fine. GVT can be tinkered by different individual to fit their needs. (example, my split was chest/shoulders, back/traps, bis/tris, legs) from A1-A2 exercises, rest 90secs between, along with rest between A2-A1 sets. Imagine the :eek: with doing squats and deads for the two movements instead of the leg curls..... :eek: :eek: :mad: :gore:

what gets most lifters with GVT is not really the # of sets/reps at 10 each but the tempo one should maintain and be strict about....just picture it my friend...no mas! Sage

Irishman

Awards
Re: B Exercises

Is it a set of decline db then onto bb rows without a rest followed by 90 seconds rest & repeat; or
Good question, bro. Can anyone with experience elaborate on this?

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Re: B Exercises

I do it as 60 second rests between each exercise in sequence (i.e decline db, rest 60s, decline db, rest 60s....). This is easiest to do in most gyms as you don't have to arrange equipment or walk to another part of the gym to set up. Get a stopwatch also. You can superset, but this way it's easier while at the gym, and will fatigue you quickly.

BTW, this is the split I plan on using once my order arrives from AnabolicMinds:

Chest/Back
A1 decline db
A2 bent bb row
B1 incl flyes
B2 chins

Legs/Abs
A1 squats :eek:
A2 seated leg curls
B1 incline hip raise
B2 smith standing calf raise

Arms/Shoulders
A1 ezi close-grip
A2 ezi curls
B1 rear lateral raises
B2 side lateral raises

How`z it look guys?
Looks fine to me, it'll hurt like a mutha when you first do it! Everyone who's done it knows the leg days all too well *shudders* :)

Nelson

Thanks jweave

That`s a good point about doing the same exercise in succession.
My gym doesn`t have a lot of equipment, so this would work better for me.
You don`t think it would detract from the workout by not doing the supersets, eh?

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Re: Thanks jweave

That`s a good point about doing the same exercise in succession.
My gym doesn`t have a lot of equipment, so this would work better for me.
You don`t think it would detract from the workout by not doing the supersets, eh?
Nope, won't hurt at all. You can superset if you like (90 second rests inbetween sets), but I think once you do it you'll find you like the successive sets.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
If doing a four on/four off/ four on cycle of PH's then on your down month do yo keep the training level high or back up on the ass busting?

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
If doing a four on/four off/ four on cycle of PH's then on your down month do yo keep the training level high or back up on the ass busting?
you would cut back on volume of your lifts while off. Even if you can maintain the high level of intensity and "deeboness" throughout cycle and into your post, one should lay low on the volume however, the intensity of each set should always be a good one. Sage

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
these good for ph cycles or only for real gear? im doing 1T pro cycle for 4 weeks.. two squirts a day..

also in what order should these exercises be done? exactly how they are shown?

one more thing, 3 sets of calves? doesnt seem too effective in that respect..

Last edited:

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I have a feeling your calves will respond.. try it!
Yes it will work for someone on ph as well as gear.

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
I have heard mixed results about GVT, some like it while others say it hasnt done much for them. I dont know who to believe, all I know is I prefer going heavier.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I have heard mixed results about GVT, some like it while others say it hasnt done much for them. I dont know who to believe, all I know is I prefer going heavier.
so you respond better to heavier weights on ph's and gear?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
im still kind of confused on a few things.. like doing 10 sets of just decline bench? and on the advanced training it says 10 sets of incline... how you supposed to build different parts of your chest ?

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well GVT has WORKED WONDERS FOR ME. IN REFERENCE TO THE DECLINE QUESTION. EACH WEEK I CHANGE UP DOING DECLINE ONE WEEK,INCLINE THE NEXT,FLAT THE NEXT.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Well GVT has WORKED WONDERS FOR ME. IN REFERENCE TO THE DECLINE QUESTION. EACH WEEK I CHANGE UP DOING DECLINE ONE WEEK,INCLINE THE NEXT,FLAT THE NEXT.
were you on a ph? and so you did 10 sets of 10 reps? and sorry for the newbie question but what kind of gains did you see during your cycle and which ph did ya use? i am bout to buy some t1 pro

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wasn't taking a PH at the time just animal pack,creatine,and Z-mass. I did the 10 x 10, I cained 10 pounds in 12 weeks and I lost 2% BF. I was very hungry all the time while on the training.