Doing calves on "day off"?

  1. LunaHotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    47
    Posts
    325
    Rep Power
    301
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    40.8%

    Doing calves on "day off"?


    Is this OK?

    For my cutting plan, I'm switching to the following split

    Day 1 : Shoulders & Triceps
    Day 2 : Back & Calves
    Day 3 : Chest & Biceps
    Day 4 : Thighs & Calves
    Day 5 : Off

    Every morning, a swim of 40-60 minutes on an empty stomach is planned, as soon as the exterior swimming pool opens next weekend.

    Now, I'm going to be going to the gym anyways for aerobics on my day off, swimming. I'm thinking of doing calves on that day, as they respond well to FREQUENT training... Is this going to affect my recovery?

    I'm not taking AAS nor PH at the moment.

    Thanks for your advice.

  2. New Member
    Skunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    147
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    15.33%

    Calves recover faster than most bodyparts, much like abs. There are people out there who train calves 3-4 times a week. I would personally say 2 times a week is enough to create growth. Hell, one time a week, assuming you are putting them under more stress than the last workout, would cause growth. So whatever works best for you.
  3. Obese Member
    Alpha Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    935
    Rep Power
    614
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    41.44%

    Originally posted by Skunk
    Calves recover faster than most bodyparts, much like abs. There are people out there who train calves 3-4 times a week. I would personally say 2 times a week is enough to create growth. Hell, one time a week, assuming you are putting them under more stress than the last workout, would cause growth. So whatever works best for you.

    Not Necessarily. I could do calf lifts all week long with Rosie Odonels fat ass sitting on my shoulders and my claves still would not grow.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Skunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    147
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    15.33%

    Cool


    Originally posted by bow



    Not Necessarily. I could do calf lifts all week long with Rosie Odonels fat ass sitting on my shoulders and my claves still would not grow.
    What do you define growth as? Not necessarily just size, but also the ability to withstand more force, or strength. If you did calve raises with Rosie on your shoulders, your calves might not "get larger" but it doesn't mean they won't grow to withstand more force.
  5. LunaHotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    47
    Posts
    325
    Rep Power
    301
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    40.8%

    Well, you know, my calves can use getting STRONGER but heck, I really need them to be *BIGGER*... You know, to go with my sweeping Vastus Lateralis that just keeps growing thanks to those beautifully painful squats...
  6. Advanced Member
    SCORPIO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    512
    Rep Power
    401
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    80.21%

    I'm with you guys on this one. No matter what I try I can't get my calves to grow. I've gone heavy.....twice a week....high reps....low reps....lighter weight. They do look a little better, but never any bigger. I wish I would find some thing that would work.
  7. New Member
    Flavor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    177
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    65.24%

    Re: Doing calves on "day off"?


    Originally posted by LunaHotel
    Is this OK?

    For my cutting plan, I'm switching to the following split

    Day 1 : Shoulders & Triceps
    Day 2 : Back & Calves
    Day 3 : Chest & Biceps
    Day 4 : Thighs & Calves
    Day 5 : Off

    Every morning, a swim of 40-60 minutes on an empty stomach is planned, as soon as the exterior swimming pool opens next weekend.

    Now, I'm going to be going to the gym anyways for aerobics on my day off, swimming. I'm thinking of doing calves on that day, as they respond well to FREQUENT training... Is this going to affect my recovery?

    I'm not taking AAS nor PH at the moment.

    Thanks for your advice.
    Don't swim on an empty stomach. You'll burn more muscle fiber than fat. I refer you to http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/satter2.htm for some good information on cardio, HIIT most importantly.

    About calves... some respond well to frequent training, sure. Not everyone's. Asking such a question on a message board is pointless, nobody can tell you how you'll respond. Try it. If your strength is lessened, and/or you don't grow... then change it. Good luck with your cutting.
  8. Advanced Member
    wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    638
    Rep Power
    466
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    42.64%

    As a martial artist, I am quite well endowed in the calf department. My best growth suprisingly came from doing things like plyometric excersises as well as lots of standing calf raises.

    It may sound silly, but I saw great calf growth from an excersize we do on occasion, which is to simply stand on one leg and hop....for up to 5 minutes, past the burn, and well into the pain zone. When you just cannot take anymore, do the other leg. I wouldnt recommend doing this at the gym cause it looks silly, but give it a shot at home. Worst case is you get more explosive calf muscles..lol..best case, you gain size.
  9. Senior Member
    sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,606
    Rep Power
    956
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    49.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Originally posted by wardog
    It may sound silly, but I saw great calf growth from an excersize we do on occasion, which is to simply stand on one leg and hop....for up to 5 minutes, past the burn, and well into the pain zone. When you just cannot take anymore, do the other leg. I wouldnt recommend doing this at the gym cause it looks silly, but give it a shot at home. Worst case is you get more explosive calf muscles..lol..best case, you gain size.
    sounds like a plyometric exericse then anything else. ill contribute my above average size/toned calves to basketball plyometrics back in HS as well. a method which i think is overlooked in bodybuilding (plyometric training that is....)
    Sage
  10. New Member
    ProBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    140
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    48.67%

    Originally posted by wardog
    As a martial artist, I am quite well endowed in the calf department. My best growth suprisingly came from doing things like plyometric excersises as well as lots of standing calf raises.

    It may sound silly, but I saw great calf growth from an excersize we do on occasion, which is to simply stand on one leg and hop....for up to 5 minutes, past the burn, and well into the pain zone. When you just cannot take anymore, do the other leg. I wouldnt recommend doing this at the gym cause it looks silly, but give it a shot at home. Worst case is you get more explosive calf muscles..lol..best case, you gain size.
    At this point I'll try anything.
  11. New Member
    RaulJimenez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    278
    Rep Power
    281
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    6.23%

    calves are pretty much genetic, but you can still add some size to them.
  12. New Member
    ProBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    140
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    48.67%

    Spoken like someone born with anaconda calves. lol. dude it's rough. the rest of my body is great, everything where I want it. Calves non existent. I've tried and will continue to try everything. I'm the only person who watched that kid on MTV get calf implants and didn't call him a friggin' chump. lol. I was like, I feel you man. But I couldn't ever go that far. Not yet. LMAO.
  13. LunaHotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    47
    Posts
    325
    Rep Power
    301
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    40.8%

    Well, with my currently near-overtrained state, I changed my routine.

    It's the same, except having 4-on, 1-off, I'm doing the split on a 1-on, 1-off cycle. I'm going to do the Biceps/Chest workout more often than the others because these are my weak spots.

    Anyways, with the 1/1 split, which makes sure I do NOT overtrain, I can do calves at home now on the days in between, making sure that I work them at LEAST 4x a week.

    I went to my dad's place in the country and made myself a "calf stand" i.e. two 2x4 screwed together with the top one cut at about a 70 angle. Just perfect for doing calf raises with a heavy dumbell.

    I'll keep you posted as to my calf progress on this. Check back here in a month.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Cardio on my day off good or bad for muscle growth?
    By UCSMiami in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-08-2013, 10:00 AM
  2. 2 days on 1 day off
    By Troyboi in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-24-2013, 06:08 PM
  3. anything wrong with 4 days on 3 days off?
    By luka5 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 12:29 PM
  4. 6-oxo 3 caps a day 5 days on 2 days off continuous, safe?
    By DanielS3368 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in