Can someone tell me how to get my hip flexors to grow?

  1. jjm
    jjm is offline
    Registered User
    jjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    111
    Rep Power
    159

    Can someone tell me how to get my hip flexors to grow?


    I do leg lifts laying down on a flat bench and I do weighted leg lifts either hanging or in the roman chair and I still can't get my hip flexors to grow. Are there any other exercises I can do?

  2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,085
    Rep Power
    918007

    Cleans, step-ups, lunges, incline sprints
  3. Registered User
    dontknowaboutme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    1182

    Deep squats, with controlled descent. Do not just drop down and use the momentum to extend. Control the eccentric, do not time it like a tempo, but control the weight. Hip flexors can often be strained from very fast eccentrics during squatting.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    712

    Full sit-ups actually engage the hip flexors a lot. Also the ab exercise (don't know the name) where you lay on your back, a partner stands with his feet just behind your head. You reach back and hold onto his ankles, then bring your legs up hard (keeping them straight) and have your partner push them back to the ground. You try not to let them touch the ground.

    They're considered ab exercises because you will feel them there first. The abs are pelvic stabilizers when performing the exercise. The hip flexors are much stronger than your abs. Nevertheless, it will work your hip flexors a lot, with some abs to boot.

    There's also the four-way hip machines. Performing the hip flexion exercise. That is, if your gym as one of these. Some get used to much with the older ladies doing their stupid-ass inner/outer thigh exercises. Those machines have their place for athletes and rehab though.
  5. Registered User
    CDONDICI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    360
    Rep Power
    287

    decline situps
  6. Registered User
    PVSkyHigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    562
    Rep Power
    386

    Using the cable cross-over, attach a strap around your ankle, walk across to the other side, grab a hold of the bar that you use to stabilize yourself, set your body position so that you are at about a 60 degree angle, and do knee raises. These will totally target your hip flexors. I used to do them for track, to work on knee drive while sprinting.
  7. jjm
    jjm is offline
    Registered User
    jjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    111
    Rep Power
    159

    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to add the step-up's and lunges into my leg day and see how that goes for a little while.

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH View Post
    Full sit-ups actually engage the hip flexors a lot. Also the ab exercise (don't know the name) where you lay on your back, a partner stands with his feet just behind your head. You reach back and hold onto his ankles, then bring your legs up hard (keeping them straight) and have your partner push them back to the ground. You try not to let them touch the ground.

    They're considered ab exercises because you will feel them there first. The abs are pelvic stabilizers when performing the exercise. The hip flexors are much stronger than your abs. Nevertheless, it will work your hip flexors a lot, with some abs to boot.

    There's also the four-way hip machines. Performing the hip flexion exercise. That is, if your gym as one of these. Some get used to much with the older ladies doing their stupid-ass inner/outer thigh exercises. Those machines have their place for athletes and rehab though.
    I workout alone That's sort of what I do on the flat bench though, except my legs don't get pushed down.

    And are you talking about using the hip adductor/abductor machines? We have those in my gym but I'm always worried that I'm going to look like a ***** using those lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by PVSkyHigh View Post
    Using the cable cross-over, attach a strap around your ankle, walk across to the other side, grab a hold of the bar that you use to stabilize yourself, set your body position so that you are at about a 60 degree angle, and do knee raises. These will totally target your hip flexors. I used to do them for track, to work on knee drive while sprinting.
    Do you have a link to that exercise?
  8. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    712

    Quote Originally Posted by jjm View Post
    And are you talking about using the hip adductor/abductor machines? We have those in my gym but I'm always worried that I'm going to look like a ***** using those lol.
    Definitely not ab/adductor machines. Yes, you would look like a *****...lol!

    The machine is called a four-way hip. You can do ab/adduction exercises on it, but you can also do hip flexion/extension. Ask the people at the front desk if there's one.
  9. Registered User
    ClandestineM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    92

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH View Post
    Definitely not ab/adductor machines. Yes, you would look like a *****...lol!

    The machine is called a four-way hip. You can do ab/adduction exercises on it, but you can also do hip flexion/extension. Ask the people at the front desk if there's one.
    Are you training for yourself and your muscular improvement? If so, why do you bother about what the opinions of your gym buddies are?

    Just only my 2 cents.


    Frank Mori
  10. Registered User
    CRUNCH's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    712

    Who are you asking that question of?

    And the answer was kind of tongue-in-cheek. Ab/adductor machines have their places in some sports, but are usually only seen with fat, old ladies on them.

    Interesting first post.
  11. Registered User
    ClandestineM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    92

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH View Post
    Who are you asking that question of?

    And the answer was kind of tongue-in-cheek. Ab/adductor machines have their places in some sports, but are usually only seen with fat, old ladies on them.

    Interesting first post.
    I agree with you. It's not a nice entry for my first post. But my motivation for this post is clear. You don't look like a ***** doing any exercise and if other people think this way its their problem.

    What I am trying to say, is that you don't need to bother about other people's opinions. Your motivation must be inside of you.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Frank Mori
  12. jjm
    jjm is offline
    Registered User
    jjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    111
    Rep Power
    159

    Ok so I've tried doing lunges on 3 seperate occasions, but everytime I get a few reps into my first set, it feels like I pull a groin muscle. The pain/sorness is gone in a few days, but I have no idea why this is happening. I stretch before I do them.

    The pain/soreness is in the area basically right next to my shaft...
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,085
    Rep Power
    918007

    Quote Originally Posted by jjm View Post
    Ok so I've tried doing lunges on 3 seperate occasions, but everytime I get a few reps into my first set, it feels like I pull a groin muscle. The pain/sorness is gone in a few days, but I have no idea why this is happening. I stretch before I do them.

    The pain/soreness is in the area basically right next to my shaft...
    What angle do your legs make when you take your step and where is your foot positioned?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    rpen22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,702
    Rep Power
    11091

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH View Post
    Definitely not ab/adductor machines. Yes, you would look like a *****...lol!
    Hey! I use that machine! :bruce1:
  15. jjm
    jjm is offline
    Registered User
    jjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    111
    Rep Power
    159

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    What angle do your legs make when you take your step and where is your foot positioned?
    I've tried using different angles and foot positions but nothing seems to work.

    I noticed that if I don't take such a huge step first and make it so my back quad is perpendicular to the floor, it will take me a few more reps to start feeling the pain.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2011, 09:26 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 06:49 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 06:42 PM
  4. can someone tell me
    By dino123 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 01:31 AM
  5. can someone tell me what 100pmol/L is in pg/ml?
    By rockstar6181 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 08:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in