Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Isolation Exercise or Other

Votes: 11 2.4%

• Total voters
colindep

colindep

Awards
  • Established
What exercise do you use to start your chest workout? I know its kind of a stupid question but I've always started with flat bench but I'm wondering what kind of success people have with other exercises.

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
incline bench - my upper pecs need a lot of work

S

SnapmoneyR2

Awards
I change it every week, been training so long if I do the same workout two weeks in a row my body adapts and I will not be sore in wk3.

I rotate something like this

Wk1
Incline DB
Flat BB
Weighted Dips
Flat DB
Repeat

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
believe it or not....warm up with db flys

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Furious masturbation.

Assuming you mean warmups, I usually start and end with Dips.

Not counting warmups, I start with whatever area needs the most work (upper, middle, lower).

W

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
Furious masturbation.
Absolutely kills my workout if i do it within like 3 hours of going to the gym. Interesting idea of doing dips first though; i've never done them anything but last

vince spider

vince spider

Awards
  • Established
incline benches all the way, :thumbsup:
flat benches:dump:
since i stopped flt benching about 4 or 5 months ago my chest started improving

S

satyricon

Awards
bench

most of the good strength coaches say to warm up then do your regular bench work and then alternate assistance work regularly. like bench/inlines/pressdowns or bench/dips/skullcrushers. charles poloquin and also westside have exellent routines you can try.

Mega NRG Man

Mega NRG Man

Awards
Straight bench. I like to get it out of the way first.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Flat bench - the main exercise for chest. You need all your strength for it

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I start with the dumbell presses. As a side note to dsade's comment, I like my masturbation post-workout :D

hman85

hman85

Awards
  • Established
i switch between flys and incline to start sometimes starting with flys really makes it burn

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
Incline db
start with dips sometimes to change it up

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Flat bench - the main exercise for chest. You need all your strength for it
Only if you are lowering the bar to your clavicle with your elbows flared out. Other wise, the bench press is a great triceps and shoulder exercise.

I prefer the Incline press for chest development.

dalvare1

dalvare1

Awards
incline DB or cable crossovers. Either way those are always my first two exercises.

M

meb019

Banned
Awards
ive always been starting with flat benching, but i havent been experiencing any substantial chest growth... a lot of good ideas here.

generally the first exercise you do for any muscle has the greatest effect on strengthening and enhancing that body part. to add mass to the upper chest, it seems like incline presses should be a good starting exercise.

but then again, its important to change it up often i guess

Mickfootie

Mickfootie

Awards
  • Established
At the Moment Incline BB Press to help build my upper chest.

I rotate my exercises around however every 3rd session.

biggerthantex

biggerthantex

Awards
Regular DB Bench, but like everone else i rotate

C

camaroguy18

Awards
I guess I'm the only one who's going with decline for starters...I've personally gotten the best gains from it when compared to flat or incline

EDIT: I tried doing 30 degree inclines today with db's and I gotta say I love it! I usually refrained from incline in the past because the fixed angle benches for a bb were always too steep and seemed to work my shoulders more than anything, but I think I've seen the light in using db's now!

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
First cable pushdowns and then DIPS. With these my arms and chest are well warmed up.

J

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
flat bb bench, then incline db's, then decline bb, then usually some cable work pulls, then decline macnhine for high reps! :)

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Dips - Bodyweight exercises rule. I figure this is like my goal of doing chins, then once I can do enough chins / dips with BW I'll add some plates on the chain etc.

B

bics56

Awards
I see a lot of talk about doing incline first for upper chest development...Hasn't it been proven you cannot isolate lower, mid and upper chest? All incline does is bring front delts into the movement more.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see a lot of talk about doing incline first for upper chest development...Hasn't it been proven you cannot isolate lower, mid and upper chest? All incline does is bring front delts into the movement more.

Take a look at this article, it gives a way to isolate mid chest

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1597765

Furious masturbation.
Dsade, he said for chest, not forearm and wrist. Unless you masturbate a lot differently than I do.

J

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
^ i need pictures in all that text to help capture my attention behond 1 paragraph! :)

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
almost 90% of the time i start off with either flat bench or flat db bench.. on occation I'll start off with inclines.. Rarely do anything other than Flat, inlcine, and either dips or decline..

g29er

g29er

Awards
What exercise do you use to start your chest workout? I know its kind of a stupid question but I've always started with flat bench but I'm wondering what kind of success people have with other exercises.

I love dumb bell flys,,,,they get the blood flowing.

jbono731

jbono731

Awards
  • Established
I switch it up from starting with flat to incline, and from barbell to dumbbell. Keep shocking the muscles. Pretty much anybody you will come in contact with that is the least bit informed, will change it up.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I switch it up from starting with flat to incline, and from barbell to dumbbell. Keep shocking the muscles. Pretty much anybody you will come in contact with that is the least bit informed, will change it up.
I've read conflicting views on "shocking" the muscles. I think progressive overload is more important...

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
pretty common for me to start with incline bb

J

jerm

Awards
All these excercises are joke if you aren't doing dips.
Dips are compound, work the chest and the triceps, and are body weight. If you want a big chest you need strong triceps which means doing dips.

hman85

hman85

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but i never start with dips, i usually finnish with them

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I rotate from flat/incline bench, or flat/incline db. The only thing I never "start" on is decline anything.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I start with any of the above mentioned. It depends on how I feel, and what kind of mood I'm in. Lately a nagging shoulder injury has been forcing me to warm up w/ rotator cuff exercises or cable flys. If I want to go straight for the juggular I start with incline barbell.