Chest & Triceps or Chest & Back

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44%

Cool Chest & Triceps or Chest & Back

Just want some opinion, which workout do you guys prefer Chest & Triceps or Chest & Back. Thanx in Advanced.

2. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.65%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Chest and Delts
  3. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.09%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Why don't you split up your workouts so you don't hit competing muscle groups?

chest/calves
    bi/tri
    back/shoulders
    quads/hams
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.3%

I agree you dont want to hit up completing muscle group.... you might should try chest and biceps
    shoulders
    back and triceps
    legs
    chest and biceps
    this give you a break in between days...
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.8%

I agree with the Chest and Bi's. Here is my current breakdown which has worked quite well for me:

Chest, Bis
    Legs
    Shoulders, Tris
    Back

Gumbo
  6. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  281 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.35%

ON cycle- chest and tris/ OFF cycle- back and bis
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%

there is no right way or wrong way... there is just the way that suits you.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.1%

Well, if you think about it, most chest exercises are already working your triceps. And most back exercises are already working your biceps (becides dealift).

So it makes sense to put these compound groups together on the same day:

Chest, triceps, shoulders,

back, forearms, biceps.

But it depends what you are trying to achieve. Lately, ive been doing chest and shoulders one day, arms another day, and back another day. This is working nice.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.45%

chest/tri
    legs/bi
    delts/tri/calves
    back/bi
    rest
    bi/tri/forearms/calves
    rest

i'm trying to get my bis and tris to catch up with the rest of me... they always seem to give out before chest/back on compound exercises
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%

Some people can handle higher frequency, and have a more overlapping split. Some people cannot and need to pair complimentary movements based on bodyparts. As I was trying to say earlier, you have to find what suits you. Some people ADAPT to higher frequency arm work, (be it direct or "indirect") so they can handle an arm day right after a back or pressing day.

I find that I am adapting to higher frequency training, and now can handle volume/intensity/frequency that I couldn't have a few years back.

I'm ramblilng, but in so many words, try a basic split (however you want to decipher that). If you see results, don't change it. When you stop seeing results, tinker around with it.

Sexually yours,
    Ubiquitous
  11. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

sexually yours....nice touch lol!
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.64%

Quote Originally Posted by CarterMalone View Post
    Well, if you think about it, most chest exercises are already working your triceps. And most back exercises are already working your biceps (becides dealift).

So it makes sense to put these compound groups together on the same day:

Chest, triceps, shoulders,

back, forearms, biceps.

But it depends what you are trying to achieve. Lately, ive been doing chest and shoulders one day, arms another day, and back another day. This is working nice.
    It does not make sense. If you do chest first, then your tris and shoulders are already fatigued. Why would you want to work a tired muscle?
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.45%

Quote Originally Posted by hack View Post
    It does not make sense. If you do chest first, then your tris and shoulders are already fatigued. Why would you want to work a tired muscle?
    I do a few sets of tris on chest day and again on shoulder day just to sort of burn them out... yeah theyre getting work from doing compound exercises, but i like to isolate and hit them directly

i would never do chest and shoulders on the same workout... i wouldnt be able to get good weight up with both
  14. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.37%

i think devoting 1 day a week to a muscle group is more effective then doing an over lapping split working say tris and bis twice a week. Even though the amount of sets will be higher per week by doing an overlapping split, it is highly likely that your arms are not healed 100%... therefore it would be counter effective shocking that muscle again if it has not recovered fully because you would be losing gains that could have been made off the first workout that week and possibly losing gains by overworking. that was a major run on sentence but **** english

it's all based on personal preference as mentioned already.

git'r'dun
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.64%

I agree
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Chest and back makes sense mechanically because it makes a push/pull split, but the volume may be too high depending on your training style. I have used chest/back and chest/bis and each is very useful. Chest/triceps is not as good because the primary movement for each muscle is pushing.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  275 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.18%

I do chest + calves and on a seperate day do back + shoulders.

If i do shoulders before chest then they kind of bug me while im doing chest, and if i do them after theyre already kind of fatigued and i can hit them as good as i can when i work them on a non-chest day.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.78%

There's no right or wrong just what works for you, I do chest/tris, back/bis,leg/shoulders for a while then switch to chest/back, arms/shoulders,legs/lower back, then switch it up again after I feel like I need a change. If your growing than roll with it and if you don't feel like your getting enough mix it up. I find that I don't grow well on a five day split but I have friends that only train that way and get great results. Each to their own.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7%

I have always preferred chest/back supersetted. As others have said, do what works for you; try out different routines. I like to work opposing muscle groups on the same day (chest/back monday, legs tuesday, shoulders thurs, and bis/tris friday). For me, doing chest/back together makes sense b/c I can concentrate on going full out on my chest (which I feel is lagging behind other muscles). Then on my friday workout I do a couple more chest lifts before hitting arms. I keep the arms on a separate day so I can do a relatively short toned down workout for them b/c they are my fastest growing muscles. Obviously my reasons for going about things this way are very specific to my own goals.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.34%

when you work your chest you have already worked your tris, so if you then try to do your regular tricep exercises you will not be able to push as much (not necessarily a bad thing as the fatigue is a result of use anyway). Leave them for another day you will be able to lift more, however, by working triceps twice a week you might then be overworking them as they are also used for shoulder exercises (and might impede your ability to perform these to the best of your ability).
    Personally I do not tend to give my arms a whole workout to themselves because they tend to get used in the process of doing core exercises (eg bench press, lat pull down, military press etc.). If you were to do chest and back on the same day then you will be working two of your most major muscle groups on the same day; I'm not sure what this would mean in terms of how much protein etc you would need to consume for recovery/build? any ideas?
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Buracho View Post
    Just want some opinion, which workout do you guys prefer Chest & Triceps or Chest & Back. Thanx in Advanced.
    i prefer lifting. i have done splits, full body, movement based, etc. based workouts. i found as long as i ate hard, slept hard, lifted hard i got the results i should have. so i ask you, what do you want?

currently i am training for my first powerlifting meet so its deadlift day, squat day, and bench day with an event day. so yes for bench its chest, shoulders and triceps. after the bench i work on the parts that are the weakest, not to add more volume so they will grow. but to do less on the other parts so i can balance out my weaknesses.

in other words, train your weaknesses so they can catch up to your strong points.

Similar Forum Threads

1. wednesday chest and triceps
    By Danielz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 02:20 PM
  2. Legs and chest, to shave or not to shave.
    By Kurruptive in forum General Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 01:51 AM
  3. Need advice for lifts for chest and triceps
    By Kobaltic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 01:21 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2005, 05:22 PM
  5. Dumbbell Pullovers - Back or Chest Exercise
    By Skark in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3