Shoulder pain

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.83%

Unhappy Shoulder pain

Hey, I know there is probably a post on here like this already, but I could not find it. But my shoulder hurts ridiculously bad when I do dips. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help this. I googled it and someone said it was a rotator cuff thing and gave me some rotator cuff exercises to start doing.
    My shoulders dont hurt during shoulder works out:
    DB press
    military press
    side lateral raises
    shrugs

Anyways, all info is appreciated, thanks.

2. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.78%
  3. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

If you are serious about making it feel better.... try this out and follow it to the T.

Corrective Methods For Common Postural Deviations: The Shoulder by Marc McDougal
    •   

4. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.29%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I would stop doing dips, or atleast try and not lock out at the top and see if that prevents any pain.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.41%

first off doing presses for shoulders is overrated because the shoulders get worked on chest, back day . Do away with the presses, and dips and do just side lateral, rear delt fly, shrugs.

You can also start doing super slow lifting instead of using a rep speed you think is good enough.

Always warmup, don't stretch un warmed muscles, use good form, take glucosamine, put on pain cream, ice the shoulders and change your exercises.
  6. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.29%

I dont like rear delt flies, I think bent over on bench rear delt rows are great, like bent over row but with elbow inline with your shoulder and elbows never bent more then 90 degrees as your coming up.

Also Lateral raise done lying on your side.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.41%

i didnt like them at first either until i started doing them right. I prefer the standing cable rear delt fly in the cable crossover machine. It makes the rear delts scream.

ps: where do i go to change where i don't receive emails when someone posts, thanks
    Last edited by ttwarrior1; 02-21-2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: received email
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by supertones31 View Post
    Hey, I know there is probably a post on here like this already, but I could not find it. But my shoulder hurts ridiculously bad when I do dips. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help this. I googled it and someone said it was a rotator cuff thing and gave me some rotator cuff exercises to start doing.
    My shoulders dont hurt during shoulder works out:
    DB press
    military press
    side lateral raises
    shrugs

Anyways, all info is appreciated, thanks.

Just a question: do you sleep on your back with your arm over your head?
  9. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.29%

User CP > On the left "list subscriptions" towards the bottom. Select your subscriptions and goto the bottom of the drop down box.
  10. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.29%

Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCH View Post
    Just a question: do you sleep on your back with your arm over your head?
    I remember you saying it was bad, my cousin had a clicking shoulder and I asked him that question and he said he rested with that shoulder above his head all the time and it clicked in his head that that would of been the problem.
    Is it because your not resting your supraspinatus?
    What about resting your elbow outside the window up above shoulder level while driving?
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    What about resting your elbow outside the window up above shoulder level while driving?
    That could do it too, that position is pinching the supraspinatus. Then you'll feel it when doing pushing exercises.
  12. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.29%

I have started training into the 45-90degree range with neutral grip(I think the grip was the mistake) and for the 1st time ever I felt a sharp pain but it went away, I should of used pronated/internally rotated grip shouldnt I?
    Or do you think I should just avoiding abducting the arm above 70 degrees all together?
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

The best rule of thumb with RC stuff is, if it hurts, don't do it. Think of it like a form of tendonitis, every time you feel it, you're hurting it and prolonging the recovery. Generally if you can go a couple weeks without feeling it jab you, it will start healing up and the swelling that's going on will settle down.

Good luck with it!
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.83%

Hey, I do sleep with my arm above my head. I will try changing that, thanks for the advice!
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Hey, I do sleep with my arm above my head. I will try changing that, thanks for the advice!
    No problem, hope it helps.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.99%

Is that supertones like the band? And also, I like to do shoulder rotations before all chest and shoulder exercises. As in, before each set. I'm taling about the ones where you hold your arms out straight at your sides and rotate them in circles. The circles get larger and larger as I go. Then in reverse. I'm pretty sure you must have done these at some point. Anyways...give that a shot...it helped me A LOT...and also cubans are a really good exercise to do between sets.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.83%

Quote Originally Posted by calidood View Post
    Is that supertones like the band? And also, I like to do shoulder rotations before all chest and shoulder exercises. As in, before each set. I'm taling about the ones where you hold your arms out straight at your sides and rotate them in circles. The circles get larger and larger as I go. Then in reverse. I'm pretty sure you must have done these at some point. Anyways...give that a shot...it helped me A LOT...and also cubans are a really good exercise to do between sets.

It is supertones like the band, big fan! But I will try to incorporate the shoulder circle stuff next chest and shoulder work out. I changed my sleeping pattern and realized that help. I noticed that doing dips once a week is all I can do. I tried to do them on chest (day1) and tri's (day4) then comeback and do them on chest (day 1, again) and it was killing me. So, I just stick to doing them on chest day and I am still upping the weight or adding a rep every work out so I am feeling good about it.

I noticed a little talk of this earlier, but how far down should I go with doing dips, I did not really understand it w/ grips and stuff?
    I usually grab the bars right at shoulder width and when I lowed let my body sort of go back to hit chest more than tri's, and usually go til my arm gets parallel with floor, maybe right before parallel sometimes. I usually try to do like 5 quick ones focusing on the power up and catching myself as I fall, then like 2focusing on negatives with it. Right now I am upto a plate and 10 for about 6-8 reps, 3sets, I am pretty stoked about it. I know it isn't great, but don't hate, I weigh 200 and am probably at 18 BF% and I can live with it!
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.99%

It is supertones like the band, big fan! But I will try to incorporate the shoulder circle stuff next chest and shoulder work out. I changed my sleeping pattern and realized that help. I noticed that doing dips once a week is all I can do. I tried to do them on chest (day1) and tri's (day4) then comeback and do them on chest (day 1, again) and it was killing me. So, I just stick to doing them on chest day and I am still upping the weight or adding a rep every work out so I am feeling good about it.

I noticed a little talk of this earlier, but how far down should I go with doing dips, I did not really understand it w/ grips and stuff?
    I usually grab the bars right at shoulder width and when I lowed let my body sort of go back to hit chest more than tri's, and usually go til my arm gets parallel with floor, maybe right before parallel sometimes. I usually try to do like 5 quick ones focusing on the power up and catching myself as I fall, then like 2focusing on negatives with it. Right now I am upto a plate and 10 for about 6-8 reps, 3sets, I am pretty stoked about it. I know it isn't great, but don't hate, I weigh 200 and am probably at 18 BF% and I can live with it!
    That's cool. I've seen them live a couple times. They put on a pretty good show. Anyways. Dips is a big problem for me as far as shoulder pain. Although I get pain when I do pretty much any upper body exercise. It also helped when I started doing rear delt exercises (for my first few months of serious lifting I wasn't doing these). But I also like to slowly ease out of finishing the exercise when doing dips. What I mean by this is after I finish my last rep, I put my feet on the steps or whatever...and slowly ease the stress off of my arms and place it on my feet. Usually takes about 5 seconds or so. I've noticed this really helping take away the post exercise pain. The worst part for me was the 10 or 15 seconds post exercise.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pullups and Shoulder Pain
    By oldfart in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 11:18 AM
  2. shoulder pain after 6months??
    By Warhead_321 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 03:56 PM
  3. Shoulder pain
    By hypo in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7