Deadlifting: Mixed grip or regular, palms-down grip? - AnabolicMinds.com

Deadlifting: Mixed grip or regular, palms-down grip?

1. Banned

Deadlifting: Mixed grip or regular, palms-down grip?

For those of you who hate reading: It's always safer to use a palms-down grip.

Pulling with a mixed grip in which one palm faces down and the other faces up puts way too much stress on the biceps of the palm-up hand, and it greatly increases your risk for injury. It's not uncommon to see biceps that have torn away from the elbow and crawled back up to the shoulder as a result of overloading the arm with a mixed-grip deadlift. The sholulder is also in a dangerous position when you're lifting with a mixed grip. It's at a mechanical disadvantage when your palm is up, and that's bad if you're trying to lift hundreds of pounds off the floor. If the risk of the injury weren't bad enough, the mixed grip can also lead to muscle imbalances, especially in the trapezius, which can end up bigger on one side than on the other. So much for that attempt to be proportionate!

The bottom line is only use the mixed grip if you're training for a competition in which you need every advantage to lift heavier. Otherwise, hold the bar with your palms down and wear lifting straps if your grip is weak.

2. I know nothing...

Yep, sounds good
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Really? I'd buy the biceps part, but imbalance? Hmm. Most DL'ers use a mixed grip only, AFAIK, and I wouldn't say imbalanced physiques run rampant.

What do I know, I'm a lightweight, shooting for 405 this year. I use mixed grip only. I'd like to know.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy9 View Post
    The bottom line is only use the mixed grip if you're training for a competition in which you need every advantage to lift heavier. Otherwise, hold the bar with your palms down and wear lifting straps if your grip is weak.
    I've heard this all before, but I hate using the double overhand grip for conventional deads and I can't stand using straps, just chalk for me.
  5. I know nothing...

If you been doing mixed grip for long time then your body adapted to it. But when I tried mixed grip it didn't feel right at all. I just use straps.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.

I've always done mixed, it's just more comfortable to me.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Yeah, sorry, I don't buy the 'wear straps if your grip is weak' line. How about strengthening your grip, hmm?
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  177 lbs.

From what I've heard, PLrs use the mixed grip because it is stronger and in comp you can't use straps. However, if you're in the gym and not training for PL comps (like me) I'd just use a pronated grip and straps.
  9. New Member

Don't use straps. Use chaulk. Stay double overhand till the weight gets to heavy. Then go mixed grip and make sure to change which hand is over and under each set.
  10. New Member

Mixing the grip also helps from the bar rolling in your hand
  11. I know nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by donk View Post
    Don't use straps. Use chaulk. Stay double overhand till the weight gets to heavy. Then go mixed grip and make sure to change which hand is over and under each set.

Or, or I just use straps when I dl 415 for 10 few sets on the row. I don't give a **** if my grip too weak for this kind of weight. Mkkkay?
    If mixed grip works for you, then... good for you, but don't tell me what I need to do.
  12. Senior Member

I pull mixed grip, but I'm careful to watch the strain on my bicep. The last thing I need is for the damn thing to tear on me. As with anything, you just have to be careful and listen to your body. Some guys do better with the hook than mixed grip. It's definitely an individual thing. I've got Shrek hands, so mixed works best for me.
  13. Elite Member

I use a mixed grip up to 405, and than palms down, with straps if necessary when I go heavier.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Looking for versa grips or good straps
    By MidwestBeast in forum Supplement Auction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 07:17 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 11:14 PM
  3. My close grip bench & regular grip problem
    By fruitpunch24 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 09:43 PM
  4. Esterified Creatine or Regular Creatine?
    By Fun2Train in forum Bulking
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 12:44 PM
  5. Back width, wider grip or weight vest.
    By Pumpitup in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-28-2006, 04:55 PM