Squatting problem

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.99%

Squatting problem

I have a problem when I do heavy squats. About half way up when I start to struggle with the weight, my knees will go inwards. Then once I get past the part I was struggling they'll go back out.

Is it ok that they do this?

2. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.53%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

try taking a wider stance and placing all your weight on the outsides of your feet as opposed to your heels or the balls of your feet .. or (gasp) the insides of your feet

focus on this you should be fine
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.99%

Thanks for the quick response! I'll give it a try on my next squat day.
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.45%

yea it's normal, that's your sticking point

take a wider stance like glen said and point your toes out 45 degrees. also when going down force your knees out and on the way up force your knees out also. just keep forcing your knees out. also throw in the ab/adductors(good girl/bad girl) machines. do a set of 25 on each machine. and as always squat below parallel. anyone that tells you not to squat past parallel is wrong and it will just end up hurting you
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.73%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Don't let your knees come in like that. A good way to fix it is by using a miniband. The band pushes the knees in so the natural reaction is to push out.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.53%

The thighs tend to adduct due to weak abductors, meaning your glutes are weak or extremely fatigued, but most likely the former. You need to get those glutes up to par, especially the gluteus medius. Maybe you should incorporate unilateral work in some workouts such as lunges and Bulgarian squats.

Oh, I would also highly suggest adding in dynamic warmups for your legs and glute activation exercises to get them firing properly, if they are not already.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.99%

Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    also throw in the ab/adductors(good girl/bad girl) machines. do a set of 25 on each machine.
    Maybe I just have the wrong idea, but aren't those machines meant more for girls? I'm seriously asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibanez
    The thighs tend to adduct due to weak abductors, meaning your glutes are weak or extremely fatigued, but most likely the former. You need to get those glutes up to par, especially the gluteus medius. Maybe you should incorporate unilateral work in some workouts such as lunges and Bulgarian squats.

Oh, I would also highly suggest adding in dynamic warmups for your legs and glute activation exercises to get them firing properly, if they are not already.
    Would I put bulgarian squats in place of regular squats? Or would I throw them in afterwards?

Also can you elaborate on dynamic warmups? I've never heard the term before.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.56%

Quote Originally Posted by jjm
    I have a problem when I do heavy squats. About half way up when I start to struggle with the weight, my knees will go inwards. Then once I get past the part I was struggling they'll go back out.

Is it ok that they do this?
    Can one really hurt themselves by having these knee movement through the squat? I do this sometimes as well, have been for years and never suffered any knee pain
  9. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.45%

Quote Originally Posted by MiKeY ReSp
    Can one really hurt themselves by having these knee movement through the squat? I do this sometimes as well, have been for years and never suffered any knee pain
    yes, your knees can buckle and once you get some decent weight on your back it will just torque your knee and blowouts will happen
  10. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.45%

Quote Originally Posted by jjm
    Maybe I just have the wrong idea, but aren't those machines meant more for girls? I'm seriously asking.

Would I put bulgarian squats in place of regular squats? Or would I throw them in afterwards?

Also can you elaborate on dynamic warmups? I've never heard the term before.

they aren't meant for girls but mostly only girls use them, all 1000lb squatters use them, so my advice would be to use them. they are perfect for your problem. just do high weight and a set of 25 each

and never substitute out regular squats.

dynamic warmups are basically warming up with the excersize you will be doing, just use low weight.

Similar Forum Threads

1. 5/3/1 Squat problem - Smith machine or leg press
    By rangestormer in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 01:08 PM
  2. Squat Problems!
    By hr4surf in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
  3. Squating problems b/c of knee & other problems - help
    By gettin'old in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12