Squatting problem

jjm

jjm

Awards
I have a problem when I do heavy squats. About half way up when I start to struggle with the weight, my knees will go inwards. Then once I get past the part I was struggling they'll go back out.

Is it ok that they do this?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
try taking a wider stance and placing all your weight on the outsides of your feet as opposed to your heels or the balls of your feet .. or (gasp) the insides of your feet

focus on this you should be fine

jjm

jjm

Awards
Thanks for the quick response! I'll give it a try on my next squat day.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yea it's normal, that's your sticking point

take a wider stance like glen said and point your toes out 45 degrees. also when going down force your knees out and on the way up force your knees out also. just keep forcing your knees out. also throw in the ab/adductors(good girl/bad girl) machines. do a set of 25 on each machine. and as always squat below parallel. anyone that tells you not to squat past parallel is wrong and it will just end up hurting you

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Don't let your knees come in like that. A good way to fix it is by using a miniband. The band pushes the knees in so the natural reaction is to push out.

Ibanez

Awards
The thighs tend to adduct due to weak abductors, meaning your glutes are weak or extremely fatigued, but most likely the former. You need to get those glutes up to par, especially the gluteus medius. Maybe you should incorporate unilateral work in some workouts such as lunges and Bulgarian squats.

Oh, I would also highly suggest adding in dynamic warmups for your legs and glute activation exercises to get them firing properly, if they are not already.

jjm

jjm

Awards
also throw in the ab/adductors(good girl/bad girl) machines. do a set of 25 on each machine.
Maybe I just have the wrong idea, but aren't those machines meant more for girls? I'm seriously asking.

The thighs tend to adduct due to weak abductors, meaning your glutes are weak or extremely fatigued, but most likely the former. You need to get those glutes up to par, especially the gluteus medius. Maybe you should incorporate unilateral work in some workouts such as lunges and Bulgarian squats.

Oh, I would also highly suggest adding in dynamic warmups for your legs and glute activation exercises to get them firing properly, if they are not already.
Would I put bulgarian squats in place of regular squats? Or would I throw them in afterwards?

Also can you elaborate on dynamic warmups? I've never heard the term before.

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
I have a problem when I do heavy squats. About half way up when I start to struggle with the weight, my knees will go inwards. Then once I get past the part I was struggling they'll go back out.

Is it ok that they do this?
Can one really hurt themselves by having these knee movement through the squat? I do this sometimes as well, have been for years and never suffered any knee pain

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Can one really hurt themselves by having these knee movement through the squat? I do this sometimes as well, have been for years and never suffered any knee pain
yes, your knees can buckle and once you get some decent weight on your back it will just torque your knee and blowouts will happen

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Maybe I just have the wrong idea, but aren't those machines meant more for girls? I'm seriously asking.

Would I put bulgarian squats in place of regular squats? Or would I throw them in afterwards?

Also can you elaborate on dynamic warmups? I've never heard the term before.

they aren't meant for girls but mostly only girls use them, all 1000lb squatters use them, so my advice would be to use them. they are perfect for your problem. just do high weight and a set of 25 each

and never substitute out regular squats.

dynamic warmups are basically warming up with the excersize you will be doing, just use low weight.