Shoulder Problems?? This will fix it!!!

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established
Ok this little exercise will fix 90% of your shoulder problems........if done often and w correct form

1. Take a broom stick handle (or something like it).

2. Hold it at ur thighs w your hands spread apart on it.

3. Slowly raise it up towards the sky (DO NOT BEND YOUR ELBOWS)

4. Continue with that motion and bring it all the way behind your back and down towards your butt

5. Now bring it all the way back from your back and up and
back to the starting position

*Try to scoot your hands as close as possible w out cheating. After a few days it will become very easy to move your hands closer
*Do not bend ur elbows and cheat at any time
*Taking it to the back and back to the starting position is 1 rep. Try to do about 25-50 reps perday or every other day
*The first couple times will be tough

If done correctly this will create a nice lil pump.

Heres a clip on how one set is done
http://66.241.223.243/champs/video/Exercise21.asf

Remember the goal is to be able to move you hands closer each time

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Damn I'll try it but is that girl double jointed or something!

Freak30

Awards
Is this a move that has helped you personally?

I have some rotator pain in my right shoulder and will give this a try. I can't get the damn video to play though.

never mind, I got it to play finally. That looks painful.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've used this stretch a few times previously with varying amounts of success. One key to performing it correctly is to go slow, especially through any sticking points that you find. The girl in the video obviously has very healthy/flexible shoulders. If I perform the exercise anywhere near that fast, I get alot of popping and clicking in my right shoulder (bad one) and it tends to aggravate it worse than it was before. I can't keep my hands nearly that close together either. I've found the easiest thing to use to perform the exercise is a very thick piece of rope, balled up on one end. The broomstick is hard on the hands/wrists/elbows when you start to move your hands closer together, but the rope is much less painful to use.

The exercise helps for sure, but for me hasn't magically cured anything. Lately I've been loosening up my shoulder with a foam roller, and that has helped immensely in easing up the impingement in the joint. Currently I perform the exercise in the video, foam/pvc pipe rolling (painful as hell), rotator exercises, take various joint care supplements and utilize tiger balm after this routine on the bad shoulder in a comprehensive rehabilitation program. I've not been able to completely loosen up my shoulder as of yet to ease the impingement fully, I suspect I'll be trying out ART treatment down the road for the first time.

miked512

Awards
I've used this stretch a few times previously with varying amounts of success. One key to performing it correctly is to go slow, especially through any sticking points that you find. The girl in the video obviously has very healthy/flexible shoulders. If I perform the exercise anywhere near that fast, I get alot of popping and clicking in my right shoulder (bad one) and it tends to aggravate it worse than it was before. I can't keep my hands nearly that close together either. I've found the easiest thing to use to perform the exercise is a very thick piece of rope, balled up on one end. The broomstick is hard on the hands/wrists/elbows when you start to move your hands closer together, but the rope is much less painful to use.

The exercise helps for sure, but for me hasn't magically cured anything. Lately I've been loosening up my shoulder with a foam roller, and that has helped immensely in easing up the impingement in the joint. Currently I perform the exercise in the video, foam/pvc pipe rolling (painful as hell), rotator exercises, take various joint care supplements and utilize tiger balm after this routine on the bad shoulder in a comprehensive rehabilitation program. I've not been able to completely loosen up my shoulder as of yet to ease the impingement fully, I suspect I'll be trying out ART treatment down the road for the first time.
Just to add to this a towel works very well also.

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established
Is this a move that has helped you personally?

I have some rotator pain in my right shoulder and will give this a try. I can't get the damn video to play though.

never mind, I got it to play finally. That looks painful.
yes it has helped me. my had sergury on my ac joint and developed some rc/deloid poblrms that physical therapy, pain med, message, nor chiropractor could help

started doing this and within one week i felt better. the first month or so i did it almost every day. no i only do it like 1-2 times aweek

as far as hw hard it looks, it really isnt that hard

the first time wil be tough but after that it becomes really easy

im guessing flexability is the root on most pain, this fixes that

Freak30

Awards
Hey thanks, I am going add this to my shoulder excercises. Been on a heavy strength program for several months, and finally pushed a little too far. Now I am pretty much on a shoulder rehab and legs program. lol. Sucks.

SuperChicken1

Awards
There is a sticky at intensemuscle.com in the Dogg Pouond on this from Dante (of DC fame) that goes through it pretty thoroughly.

SC1

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I am not mistaken this stretch is part of the "Frozen Shoulder" rehabiliation program. If you google that, you will come up with the whole program which is pretty good. Another amazing rehab. program is the Thrower's Ten

Gator762

Awards
:eek:

I've suffered numerous dislocations and watching that video made me cringe. Worse than any horror movie I have seen in the past 5 years!

I think anyone with shoulder probs should talk to their doc first before doing an exercise like that. Be careful.

Gdawg

Awards
Well, you're supposed to stop when you start to feel tension. Also, the farther you space your arms, the easier it is. That being said, it's always a good idea to get an doctor's opinion, though.

Gator762

Awards
Yeah, I really just wanted to point out that all shoulder injuries aren't the same. If you really aren't sure, check with your doc!

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I really just wanted to point out that all shoulder injuries aren't the same. If you really aren't sure, check with your doc!
Excellent point! Just because you have some shoulder pain doesn't mean it's your AC joint or rotator cuff. There's a lot of things that can go wrong at the shoulder joint AND shoulder girdle.

Don't get me wrong though, that's a good therapy program, but only for the right injuries.

And better than a doc is a physical therapist.

littlemack

Awards
Dude...she's like a slinky or something! She must have noodles for arms or something. That's amazing to watch!
I will give it a try. Will have 911 programmed into my phone just in case I get stuck.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
When I first started working out, my progress was constantly stalled by shoulder probs. I do this exercise periodically, learned about it from DC. It is very effective. I haven't had shoulder probs in at least 18 months. If it starts to flare up at all I start this and I'm back to 100% w/in 1-2 sessions.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok this little exercise will fix 90% of your shoulder problems........if done often and w correct form

1. Take a broom stick handle (or something like it).

2. Hold it at ur thighs w your hands spread apart on it.

3. Slowly raise it up towards the sky (DO NOT BEND YOUR ELBOWS)

4. Continue with that motion and bring it all the way behind your back and down towards your butt

5. Now bring it all the way back from your back and up and
back to the starting position

*Try to scoot your hands as close as possible w out cheating. After a few days it will become very easy to move your hands closer
*Do not bend ur elbows and cheat at any time
*Taking it to the back and back to the starting position is 1 rep. Try to do about 25-50 reps perday or every other day
*The first couple times will be tough

If done correctly this will create a nice lil pump.

Heres a clip on how one set is done
http://66.241.223.243/champs/video/Exercise21.asf

Remember the goal is to be able to move you hands closer each time
One thing that I see as missing from the description is to keep the shoulders back as much as possible while doing this. This may not be an issue for people with proper shoulder alignment, but for myself is paramount. My shoulders tend to slump forward, so I've been recently focussing on shoulder retraction, during the day, when walking, when exercising, and particularly when performing this stretch. For me personally, the stretch seems all the more effective if I really focus on squeezing my shoulderblades together all throughout the movement. I suffer from shoulder impingement syndrome, and I am beginning to suspect that it is mostly because of the slumped nature of my shoulders. If I fail to keep my shoulders back when doing this stretch, pressing, opening doors, etc. I tend to notice alot of clicking, and pain when the shoulder is loaded with any amount of weight.

The following is an excellent article focussing on activation of the rhomboid muscles. It was an eye opener for myself, and I hope is something that helps me finally fix a longstanding bad shoulder.

Movement Patterns and Rhomboid Activation for Optimal Shoulder Health by Taylor Simon