Three times a week!?!

BPB

Awards
Have any of you tried a program where you would work each muscle group 3 times a week? I just read a few interviews with ed corney and he had mentioned a few times he trained 6 days a week, hitting each muscle group 3 times a week.

I am personally an Ed Corney fan and naturally i am temped to give this method a try...untill reality sets in and i realize what that actually means. But I was wondering if anyone has tried anything along these lines.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you could go with something that was spaced out and balanced, it may work for you. Personally, I would never try that kind of program out just because of the lack of rest.

If you're that interested, you could give it a shot for 5 weeks or so.

:burger:

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Never tried it...wouldn't ever try it either.

Phoenix rising

Awards
Have any of you tried a program where you would work each muscle group 3 times a week? I just read a few interviews with ed corney and he had mentioned a few times he trained 6 days a week, hitting each muscle group 3 times a week.

I am personally an Ed Corney fan and naturally i am temped to give this method a try...untill reality sets in and i realize what that actually means. But I was wondering if anyone has tried anything along these lines.

I've done a program like that and it worked as a natural.

I have to bed now is 0350 hes est and i just got home from work. I will answer your psot indepth later this morning.

BPB

Awards
Pheonix Rising I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts. If you could explain in greater detail your comment "...as a natural" I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
there's another thread in this forum where someone asked that same question .. check it out for responses

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
I have done a power lifting program that is similar to this and have gotten very good results from it. I am actually starting it up again today. It concentrates on a heavy, medium, light days throughout the week. So even though you are hitting a muscle 3 times a week, its not as ridiculous as you think. For instance, Squat on monday 5x5 with a backoff of 8, wed would be squat 5x5 but 50 lbs lighter than monday and friday would be squat 5x3 and 2x3. Bill Starr wrote a book on the program, "Only the strong shall survive" It is pretty much a full body workout everyday of the program. It integrates the big three in exercises.

BPB

Awards
I apologize if this was already a topic that has been discussed. I tried the search function but i must have either looked over the thread or not made the topic specific enough. I will check it out.

Phoenix rising

Awards
Pheonix Rising I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts. If you could explain in greater detail your comment "...as a natural" I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Natural as no ph's or aas

BPB

Awards
Sorry Pheonix Rising, i should have been more specific. I knew what you meant but from what i have read and it seems whenever i read about a volume/frequency debate i read the "this program will cause you to overtrain in no time since you dont have the enhanced recovery ability of an individual who is using ph's or aas."

On other boards when someone would post a workout by a pro bb, well i guess a big example would be arnolds encyclopedia. When people ask about the routines, even the most basic, the first reply is "Steriods." So i was wondering what the thought was in saying being natural (which i currently am) would yield better results. I dont mean to sound like i am questioning your comment but i am interested in your reasoning.

I looked again at corney's routine, the sample he gave, and it ends up being 30+ sets per muscle group/per week.

The Godfather

Awards
You can train muscle groups 2 or 3 times a week without the doing the massive amoutns of volume that you read in pros' workouts as that volume cannot be sustained naturally but a 2 or 3/week frequency at a sensible volume can be done naturally and can be very effective.

BPB

Awards
if you were to do the 3x a week gig, hitting your muscles in different ways i am assuming has to be a must. Would you recommend maybe, day 1 4-6 reps, 2 6-8, and 3 10-12? Hypertrophy would be my goal out of this, and I would take day 1 to failure, day 2 one or two reps shy of failure, and day 3 would mostly be to get blood in the muscles again. Is this sensible or am i completely out of my tree?

Phoenix rising

Awards
if you were to do the 3x a week gig, hitting your muscles in different ways i am assuming has to be a must. Would you recommend maybe, day 1 4-6 reps, 2 6-8, and 3 10-12? Hypertrophy would be my goal out of this, and I would take day 1 to failure, day 2 one or two reps shy of failure, and day 3 would mostly be to get blood in the muscles again. Is this sensible or am i completely out of my tree?
I would do days 1,2 15-12 reps days, 3,4 10-8 reps, and days 5,6 8-6 reps
I would also go easy on the volume say 3-5 sets per body part
No sets to failure
I would advise doing 1 exercise per body part.
The body parts that you are gifted with you may want to cut the volume down to the min. That will give you better energy and recovery for your lagging body parts.

There is alot of room to tweak with the variables

mildain

Awards
yeah 3x per week without roids seems like overkill. The most I've done was each bodypart twice a week and that beat the **** outta me :nutkick:

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
i hit each body part 3 times in 10 days. They are lower volume, but VERY intense. I'm still sore, and have seen the best growth EVER, hands-down.

I just don't understand routines that hit each bodypart once per week. With the high volume of reps/different exercises per bodypart, you just can't effectively train one body part that much. It's a waste to do 4 chest exercises, of 4 sets a piece. If your going hard, you've burned your chest out after one exercise.

Why not go hard on lower volume, give your body enough rest time (3-4 days) then hit it again?

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying, but this type of training has been so far superior to other routines it's not even close.

Oh, and this works FOR ME. Everybody is different, but I've seen maximum growth this way... but good luck in whatever approach you take!

agentgt

Awards
Training multiple times per week works.. as long as you don't go to failure... There is quite a bit of research to support this....

And it makes sense...

Do you eat one huge meal a day or do you break it up into six?

Is it better to pull an all-nighter cramer study fest or study a little each day?
(although many people prefer procrastinating research shows gradually studying is superior to cramming)

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Training multiple times per week works.. as long as you don't go to failure... There is quite a bit of research to support this....

And it makes sense...

Do you eat one huge meal a day or do you break it up into six?

Is it better to pull an all-nighter cramer study fest or study a little each day?
(although many people prefer procrastinating research shows gradually studying is superior to cramming)
Yeah, there are some advantages to keeping the bodypart "stimulated" more than once weekly, but three times is probably unecessary and most likely more destructive than constructive.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Isn't this HST training style? Or is it different from that in some way? I know that is 3x a week for each muscle, as weeks go on you decrease reps.

phil216

Awards
  • Established
How could you allow for recovery and over compensation when hitting a muscle this often? Remember you must recover before you could over compensate and that does take some time

Last edited:

CDONDICI

Awards
  • Established
Definitely, eh? Okay...now you have to explain.
Well I should have clarified, It is only better If you are looking to gain mass(hypertrophy) fast.

When you hit a muscle 3 times per week with less volume than you would with a 1x per week split it will induce more hypertrophy(muscle mass).

The University of Alabama, Department of Human Performance Studies, PO Box 870312, Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487

M.E. GUILLIAMS

KRUG Life Sciences, Inc., Houston, Texas.

ABSTRACT

There is not a strong research basis for current views of the importance of individual training variables in strength training protocol design. This study compared 1 day versus 3 days of resistance training per week in recreational weight trainers with the training volume held constant between the treatments. Subjects were randomly assigned to 1 of 2 groups: 1 day per week of 3 sets to failure (1DAY) or 3 days per week of 1 set to failure (3DAY). Relative intensity (percent of initial 1 repetition maximum [1RM]) was varied throughout the study in both groups by using a periodized repetition range of 3–10. Volume (repetitions × mass) did not differ (p 0.05) between the groups over the 12 weeks. The 1RMs of various upper- and lower-body exercises were assessed at baseline and at weeks 6 and 12. The 1RMs increased (p 0.05) significantly for the combined groups over time. The 1DAY group achieved 62% of the 1RM increases observed in the 3DAY group in both upper-body and lower-body lifts. Larger increases in lean body mass were apparent in the 3DAY group.The findings suggest that a higher frequency of resistance training, even when volume is held constant, produces superior gains in 1RM. However, training only 1 day per week was an effective means of increasing strength, even in experienced recreational weight trainers. From a dose-response perspective, with the total volume of exercise held constant, spreading the training frequency to 3 doses per week produced superior results.
http://nsca.allenpress.com/nscaonline/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.1519/1533-4287(2000)014<0273:CODADP>2.0.CO;2

CDONDICI

Awards
  • Established
How could you allow for recovery and over compensation when hitting a muscle this often? Remember you must recover before you could over compensate and that does take some time

The key is volume.

Say you do chest once per week and do 6 sets.

Say I do it 3x per week and do 2 sets each time.

Were both doing 6 sets per week.

Once you start doing higher frequency workouts, and spreading out your volume your recovery ability will actually increase, and you will be able to progressively add more volume, more than you could efectively fit into a 1x per week workout.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Eh, I'm not convinced.

If you want to increase sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, yes, lifting more frequently will probalby do it. More demand on intracellular fluids in that case. But, we want a combination. Sarcoplasmin hypertrophy is very limited.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Interesting study. Whats the best search engine to find exercise science studies?

BPB

Awards
Thanks all for the discussion, i am learning a lot from this. I have another question though, quick and easy, but i am thinking i am going to go to a 2x a week. The more I am thinking about 3x the more I am not liking it. My question is, when figuring out if you are recovered enough for another workout, do you go by feel? for example, i worked chest on sunday. (16 sets to failure) I right now do not feel sore, and feel like they are workable again. Is that sufficient evidence, or enough to bank on that fact that i could handle another chest workout tomorrow? Thanks in advance and sorry for the subtopic.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I go on the ammount of weight and rep's. Presuming that rep speed and form are relatively equal. If you did 225 for 8 on your first set of your 1st exercise, and if youve achieved supercompensation then youll be able to do 9 or 10 w/ 225, or 7-8 w/235. If you cant then something went wrong. Sometimes its because you hit it again just a bit to soon, sometimes it could be cuz you underestimated caloric, or protien needs, or cuz you didnt sleep enough for a couple nights, or even cuz youve been stressed out over something unrelated to training. But if you pretty sure those things are in place, and that you havent been overtraining for months w/ no break, then its probably because you needed an extra day or so to grow. Not only will different styles of trainining require diffeerent recovery time's, but also certain times (ussually when the style is new and fresh to your body) you'll need different recovery lengths with the same style. Plus theres so many ways you could interpret a chest wkout consisting of 16 sets. You could take each set to positive failure, no more no less. You could pyramid, failing at gradually lower #'s of reps, or pyramid while going 1-2 reps shy of failure except for the last set of each excercise. Or add forced reps, ect,ect. IMO soreness is only a vague indicator for anything. You can get sore and eat well and sleep well and still not grow, or vice versa. And subsiding soreness after a wkout that got you sore, only gives you a sort of "ballpark" idea of when you can hit it again, and can at times be misleading. Thats why weight and reps is the only concrete statistical way of telling if you grew. The visible growth happens to slow most of the time, so you cant really tell. Unfortunately, even the weight/reps predictor has its limitations though. IE: it fails to account for strength increases attributable to improvements in neuro muscular efficiency (motor unit recruitment), and conective tissue strength building. Plus you cant keep having the same exercises in the same order forever.

CDONDICI

Awards
  • Established
Thanks all for the discussion, i am learning a lot from this. I have another question though, quick and easy, but i am thinking i am going to go to a 2x a week. The more I am thinking about 3x the more I am not liking it. My question is, when figuring out if you are recovered enough for another workout, do you go by feel? for example, i worked chest on sunday. (16 sets to failure) I right now do not feel sore, and feel like they are workable again. Is that sufficient evidence, or enough to bank on that fact that i could handle another chest workout tomorrow? Thanks in advance and sorry for the subtopic.
Perform about
3 sets for chest (compounds)
3 sets for back (compounds)
4-6 sets for legs (compounds)
2 sets shoulders (compounds)
1 set bis
1 set tris
1 set calves
1 set traps (optional)
1-2 sets abs (optional)

Mon - Wed - Fri

Dont train to failure

You will experience less soreness and more gains.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
i don't know that your body could recover fast enough in 2 days to hit everything again..... excuse me, MY BODY can't... i opt for 2 days per week...

i'm a doggcrapp guy myself. say what you want bout it, but it's worked wonders for me and i stand by what's given me, without a doubt, the best gains, bare none. i'm sure there are those that will come in and blast me or that routine, but i stick by my results.

CDONDICI

Awards
  • Established
i don't know that your body could recover fast enough in 2 days to hit everything again..... excuse me, MY BODY can't... i opt for 2 days per week...

i'm a doggcrapp guy myself. say what you want bout it, but it's worked wonders for me and i stand by what's given me, without a doubt, the best gains, bare none. i'm sure there are those that will come in and blast me or that routine, but i stick by my results.
Will you really be too sore, 2 days later, from 3 sets that are not performed to failure?

I agree with you in your stick with what works mentallity, you say 2x per weeek gave you better results than anything you tried, but have you ever tried a 3x per week.

Im not trying to tell you what you should do, but If you like 2x per week I bet you'll love 3x per week if you spread out your volume correctly. Just something to think about.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
I've tried 3 like that, and with various volumes too. I couldn't get to a place where I was seeing results. either it was going to hard and I couldn't recover fast enough, or I wasn't going hard enough and didnt' see any growth.

Will you really be too sore, 2 days later, from 3 sets that are not performed to failure?

I agree with you in your stick with what works mentallity, you say 2x per weeek gave you better results than anything you tried, but have you ever tried a 3x per week.

Im not trying to tell you what you should do, but If you like 2x per week I bet you'll love 3x per week if you spread out your volume correctly. Just something to think about.

CDONDICI

Awards
  • Established
I've tried 3 like that, and with various volumes too. I couldn't get to a place where I was seeing results. either it was going to hard and I couldn't recover fast enough, or I wasn't going hard enough and didnt' see any growth.

Yea, it is tricky to get the volume rigth at first, you have to keep it low to get your body used to the high frequency, but once you get used to it you can add more volume, your recovery rate should increase, I think it works best.

But I definatley cant knock your opinion especially if you've tried 1x, 2x, and 3x.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
yeah, some of us like to torture ourselves and try damn near every routine, or modification we can... we're not happy just lifting and getting stronger/bigger... we wants results as fast as our bodies can handle...

that's why all of us are a little screwy in the head...

Yea, it is tricky to get the volume rigth at first, you have to keep it low to get your body used to the high frequency, but once you get used to it you can add more volume, your recovery rate should increase, I think it works best.

But I definatley cant knock your opinion especially if you've tried 1x, 2x, and 3x.

The Godfather

Awards
UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
I haven't had timew to compeltely read through the posts but let me throw this in as Bryan Hay**** does explain quite well how one can work out each muscle multiple times a week and why it is superior although I have to say some that I am not the greatest fan of HST:

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_artcls_trainingfreq.html

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/HSreport/iss02/index.html#art_2

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin/ib314/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=13;t=4617

LOL! the forum program automatically sensored the last part of his name cuz its Co*k. Thats classic.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Those HST threads probably sum it up. Anyone that's tried HST knows that you can hit muscles 3 times a week just fine. You generally just need to use less volume and stay farther away from failure.

According to Brian H. you should have some minor aches and very light soreness, nothing like the sometimes painful DOMS you can get from doing many heavy sets near failure.

Also, a major part of HST is the "strategic deconditioning" period. That means that after 8 weeks or so you take about 2 weeks off and do nothing but recover and basically let your body get used to not lifting anything.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
If you're going to try the 6 day split, I would make sure that none of your muscles are getting worked every day.

Something like this would be bad (IMO):

Day 1
Quads
Chest
Triceps
Shoulders

Day 2
Back
Biceps
Hams
Calves

Most of your bodyparts would be getting used at least somewhat six days a week.

I would try this instead:

Day 1
Back
Chest
Biceps
Shoulders
Triceps

Day 2
Quads
Hams
Calves
Abs

You may even consider eliminating tricep isolation exercises.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm currently doing a 3day split working out 5 days per week. I have to say I like it much better then 1x per week. Unless you are doing something like HST or you are superhuman, 3x per week is probably going to burn you out very fast.

The Godfather

Awards
Those HST threads probably sum it up. Anyone that's tried HST knows that you can hit muscles 3 times a week just fine. You generally just need to use less volume and stay farther away from failure.

According to Brian H. you should have some minor aches and very light soreness, nothing like the sometimes painful DOMS you can get from doing many heavy sets near failure.

Also, a major part of HST is the "strategic deconditioning" period. That means that after 8 weeks or so you take about 2 weeks off and do nothing but recover and basically let your body get used to not lifting anything.
I don't feel that the strategic deconditioning is as effective as Bryan envisaged it to be. Imo it does not allow the use of submaximal loads afterwards to still be able to stimulate hypertrophy. I do think you should tkae a week off every 6-8 weeks and you should then ramp up for 1 week and then do another 6-8weeks but the week off is mainly for your joints and tendons and CNS to do a bit of recovery.

Here is Lyle Mcdonald's Upper/Lower split that I have found to be very effective:

Mon: Lower
Squat: 3-4X6-8/3' (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3' rest)
SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3'
Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2'
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3'
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2'

Tue: Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3'
Row: 3-4X6-8/3'
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2'
Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'

For the thu/Fri workouts either rpeat the first two or make some slight exercise substitutions. Can do deadlift/leg press combo on Thu, switch incline/pulldown to first exercises on upper body day. A lot depends on volume tolerance, if the above is too much, go to 2-3X6-8 and 1-2X10-12
That's from this thread on his forum http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6324

Dan Moore

Awards
Interesting study. Whats the best search engine to find exercise science studies?
My website.

Ok, let me just chime in breifly.

Not sure who said it but they were right. Multiple studies show that training more often can increase translational activlty, this shouldn't really even be questioned.(see all the studies I have posted on Protein Synthesis) But in reality it comes down to a balance between enough of an acute stimulus vs. the ability to recover from the acute stimulus and provide a chronic stimulus over time. So in reality it's all relative. Relative to your training state, training regime, and the training variables within the regime.

Dan

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
My website.

Ok, let me just chime in breifly.

Not sure who said it but they were right. Multiple studies show that training more often can increase translational activlty, this shouldn't really even be questioned.(see all the studies I have posted on Protein Synthesis) But in reality it comes down to a balance between enough of an acute stimulus vs. the ability to recover from the acute stimulus and provide a chronic stimulus over time. So in reality it's all relative. Relative to your training state, training regime, and the training variables within the regime.

Dan
www.hypertrophy-research.com
Nice site Dan, looks like it will keep me busy reading for a good while. I've bookmarked it allready.
Oh, and :welcome: to AM.

BPB

Awards
Thanks Dan, Your webpage is turning out to be very informative.

Has anyone tried CW high frequency programs? I was considering giving it a go but i am not a fan at all of full body routines, and if i remember correctly that is what he is advocating.

A few posts up i beleive someone mentioned gradually increasing your volume over time, and this will allow the body/CNS to be able to handle a larger volume before it becomes overtrained. I was wondering what increments would be recommended. I have decided that hiting the muscle groups once per week (that is focusing on them) is not optimal for muscle growth(for me of course). So i am switching to hitting everything direetly 2 times per week. From looking at my past successes and programs I had previously done, my set count is looking to be 16-18 sets for smaller muscle groups and 22-24 for larger muscle groups. This is where i would eventually like to be. Would you all recommend starting with a lower set count and say every 2 weeks add 2 or 3 sets?

Dan Moore

Awards
Thanks Dan, Your webpage is turning out to be very informative.
Thanks it's my life's work for the last several years.

A few posts up i beleive someone mentioned gradually increasing your volume over time, and this will allow the body/CNS to be able to handle a larger volume before it becomes overtrained.

Would you all recommend starting with a lower set count and say every 2 weeks add 2 or 3 sets?
The human body is remarkable at dealing with stress, the slower the chronic increase in the stress the more able the body is able to handle it without seriously going nuts. So a gradual increase in sets would be more warranted than a sudden large jump. Again this is all relative to the other variables in the mix, IE load, frequency, among others. In other words the body will always try to maintain a status quo, ie. homeostasis, anything that seriously disrupts that usually doesn't increase the desired effect.

Now I'm sure many will jump all other this and say hey Dan you're f'in nuts, what about overcompensation. Well overcompensation doesn't happen that regulary even with untrained subjects. Well what about glycogen supercompensation?, they'll say. What about it, newer research has shown that glycogen supercompensation is very hard to acheive once the subject has reached a trained state. Protein synthesis is the same, as you become more trained the overall rate of PS doesn't really change except when accounting for duration. In many works they have shown that in an untrained state PS is elevated for around 48 hours, I'm sure we all know that, this is a normal physiological process and not overcompensation BTW. The catch 22 is, as you become more trained the time frame is diminshed to 12 to 24 hours, therfore it is even more critical to combat any catabolic events posts exercise as you become more trained, IE nutrition and energy expenditure becomes very critical to a trained BB or strength athlete.

So once again it's all relative. Simple rule of thumb; if you increase frequency and notice you can not maintain your previous strength levels, then either 1. Decrease acute training volume or 2. decrease the frequency. In most cases the answer lies in either of these.

Dan

BPB

Awards
Dan I have a quick nutritional question, i dont want to change the direction of this discussion but you above post made a direct reference to a concern of mine.

I workout at night, 9pm or later. I have found I am stronger at this time rather than in the morning, and during the day isnt an option bc of school and work. But the 12-24 hours, is the fact that I am only getting one meal in the 8 hours after my workout(one cup brown rice, 1 can chicken, .5 cup broccoli, 1 tsp olive or flax oil, 16oz casien protein shake with skim milk) hurting my progress?

Dan Moore

Awards
Dan I have a quick nutritional question, i dont want to change the direction of this discussion but you above post made a direct reference to a concern of mine.

I workout at night, 9pm or later. I have found I am stronger at this time rather than in the morning, and during the day isnt an option bc of school and work. But the 12-24 hours, is the fact that I am only getting one meal in the 8 hours after my workout(one cup brown rice, 1 can chicken, .5 cup broccoli, 1 tsp olive or flax oil, 16oz casien protein shake with skim milk) hurting my progress?
Probably not. The body is a flux machine, it operates constantly on in vs. out. Even with training late in the evening as long as you are ingesting sufficient calories throughout the day I doubt it would make a difference. I would however make sure that
1. You are getting enough calories to support growth. I can't stress this enough, calories are so important for growth and should be your first consideration, even before training.
2. Getting enough protein and carbs. Fats are important but carbs intake should be your highest concern then protein then fats in a ratio of around 60% carbs, 20% protein, 20% fats.

If there are days where this is off a bit no biggy, like I said the body is a flux machine. But also try to be consistent as possible.

Dan

phil216

Awards
  • Established
Just how hard are you guys training if you are able to work each bodypart 3x per week. That volume just seems far too high to me and would ever allow for over compensation as you are training the muscle again before it has had a chance to recover let alone grow.