hack squats

hawkeyes56

Awards
what are some opinions on hack squats in gaining size and strength in the legs as compared to regular squats.... I have been doing hacks and leg presses to try and add some size

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
nothing beats regular barbell squats below parallel, nothing

hawkeyes56

Awards
I totally agree but since I do not have a rack... just wondered if you thought the hacks were my next best option or should I just do lighter free standing squats

CDONDICI

Awards
  • Established
Im assuming you mean machine hacks, but if not, BB hack squats performed on a platform are just as effective as regular squats.

hawkeyes56

Awards
yes I did mean machine hacks... sorry I guess I am unfamiliar with the other kind

az2u

Awards
My legs respond better to hack squats than regular squats. Actually I do both exercises. High reps(15-20),heavy weight,and vary your feet positions. Straight leg deadlifts are great for hamstrings and inner thigh development.

BBAddict

Awards
I find hack squats to be particularly effective in hitting the teardrop head of the quads. I typically use it as a finishing lift, never as the first lift in my quad workout. I only do BB hacks though, never machine hacks. It's definitely complementary to a regular squat, no way you could replace standard squats with hacks.
Leg presses, on the other hand, work basically the same muscles as a regular squat, but they don't recruit all the stabilizer muscles that are required for real squats.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I do hack squats every other week. I like them b/c you can load on the weight and do TUT reps. No way can I do a 3 second negative on BB squats w/ any weight. Just doesn't feel right. Hacks also allow full emphasis on the upper legs.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I do hack squats every other week. I like them b/c you can load on the weight and do TUT reps. No way can I do a 3 second negative on BB squats w/ any weight. Just doesn't feel right. Hacks also allow full emphasis on the upper legs.
Agreed sir.

The emphasis on the tear drop is also quite nice. I bottom right out so I get FULL quad/ham involvement in the exercise.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
so that's what that is. my TP was trying to tell me about it one day, he described it as a backwards deadlift or some sh1t. might have to give that a whirl.
They be old school hacks that the golden boys of Iron used to do when thack machines weren't around.

I prefer these. The teardrop just smokes with these ones.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
been looking for something to replace machine hacks. they hurt my knees so much it's ridiculous.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
been looking for something to replace machine hacks. they hurt my knees so much it's ridiculous.
you will like these then.

Akward at first but you get the hang easily enough.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i'm sure some jackass will tell me i'm doing deadlifts incorrectly. just like i'm going too low on squats. :rolleyes:

CDONDICI

Awards
  • Established
so that's what that is. my TP was trying to tell me about it one day, he described it as a backwards deadlift or some sh1t. might have to give that a whirl.

They are a great change of pace, thye hit almost all of the same muscles as deads and squat, but in a slightly different way. I love doing them they are almost an equal to deads in my current routine.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
My legs respond better to hack squats than regular squats. Actually I do both exercises. High reps(15-20),heavy weight,and vary your feet positions. Straight leg deadlifts are great for hamstrings and inner thigh development.
Couldnt agree more. Variety is the key.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
You might want to put some 5 or 10 lb. plates under your heels so you don't lose your balance and fall backwards. You'd look like a big, goofy demon if that happened, wouldn't ya' ;)

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
barbell hacks are no joke, that's how i used to do them

Synthetik

Awards
I remember from an old bb book i once read about hacksquats being great for shaping up the leg, especially for those that had "carrot" shaped legs. I implemented them in my routine and have noticed a difference. Of course, nothing beats the good ol' SQUAT.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I had done barbell hacks before, but when I tried them again last week it seemed to put my back into a ridiculous position. The only way to get to the botton of the movement was to round my back ridiculously. I couldn't go above 135lbs b/c it felt so awkward, so my legs felt basically unphased by the exercise; my back, however, did not.