Weight Training and Elevated Liver Values

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I have read countless references to exercise's effect on elevating certain liver enzymes, and that this is sometimes mistaken for a potential liver issue. I've been searching the forums, but I only find shared wisdom, not references. I tried google, google scholar and pubmed. The only info I've come up with is from other boards (hepatitis, etc), and the study which actually showed that exercise improved liver enzymes :think:

Can anyone point me in the direction of some more specific resources? If anyone can explain why exercise raises certain enzymes, that would be great too, but...

Part of the reason I want to find resources is b/c a friend of mine had some high liver values last year. He had some bullshit, shady insurance plan and he ended up dropping about $10G on medical expenses. After repeated tests, the elevated enzymes mysteriously appeared. He had been exercising intensely throughout, but I didn't know at the time about exercise-induced elevated liver enzymes. I would just send my friend here, but there is a very good reason that I don't.

Much obliged,
Beo

Here is a good thread: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/anabolics/37039-high-alt-alp-levels.html?highlight=exercise+elevated+liver+enzymes

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Ahh, so that is why you kept telling Daemonium to check GGT instead of ALT/AST. That makes sense.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
One of the things I was trying to figure out was if exercise-induced elevated ALT/AST was in itself harmful to the liver. Obviously it is not, as these enzymes are simply being released into the bloodstream from damaged muscles.

Thanks for clearing that up Jonny. Definitely rep worthy, but I have to recharge. There has been a lot of good posting lately :thumbsup:

Tahq

Awards
SGOT (AST) and SGPT (ALT) enzyme levels are released during normal function of the liver. These levels increase as the liver function is increased, such as by the use of methylated compounds. These same enzymes are also release, more so the SGOT (AST), from other tissue such as the kidneys, brain, heart and MUSCLE and can be elevated by the act of body building alone.

I had my blood work done a couple years ago during a 'break' in my work out routine due to an injury and my liver value were as follow: AST - 21 and ALT - 24. Last year I had another blood work up completed this time while I was well into my work out program and my liver value had increased to AST - 35 and ALT - 53. I was not on any 'supplementation' during either blood test period...not even creatine (Which I don't repond to anyway.) and my liver enzyme value were increased basically from the increased actions of the muscle damaging and repairing itself from my work outs.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
SGOT (AST) and SGPT (ALT) enzyme levels are released during normal function of the liver. These levels increase as the liver function is increased, such as by the use of methylated compounds. These same enzymes are also release, more so the SGOT (AST), from other tissue such as the kidneys, brain, heart and MUSCLE and can be elevated by the act of body building alone.

I had my blood work done a couple years ago during a 'break' in my work out routine due to an injury and my liver value were as follow: AST - 21 and ALT - 24. Last year I had another blood work up completed this time while I was well into my work out program and my liver value had increased to AST - 35 and ALT - 53. I was not on any 'supplementation' during either blood test period...not even creatine (Which I don't repond to anyway.) and my liver enzyme value were increased basically from the increased actions of the muscle damaging and repairing itself from my work outs.
So basically, the elevated levels had nothing to do with your liver; the enzymes were coming from other tissues.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
So basically, the elevated levels had nothing to do with your liver; the enzymes were coming from other tissues.
Exactly. AST/ALT are found in other tissues besides the liver...however, most Doc's deal with non-bodybuilders/athletes and see raised liver values as evidence of liver damage.

Recommend your friend to stop training for at least the day before the test.