Getting 20 pullups....

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Getting 20 pullups....

Hi all. I just got a rude awakening today. I do about 170x6 for cable pulldowns. However, I weigh 200 pounds and absolutely suck when it comes to pullups! I can only do three or four, and that is not even bar all the way to the chest. I am seriously considering joining the marines and to get a perfect entrance score I will need to do 20 pullups (as well as 200 situps in 2 minutes, I believe). You only need to do 3 to get in boot, but I know a very high entrance score looks good and ups my chances for promotion. Besides, being in tip top shape can only help me.

So my basic question is what is the fastest way to get where I need to be? This goes for the situps and the pullups. Should I just bust my ass multiple times a day doing as many pullups/situps as I can, or stick to once a week? What about other back exercises, stick to the 4-6 reps I'm doing now or should I change my whole body to 20 reps or so? I know I will lose weight but that actually helps me.

BTW- IIRC, perfect entrace score for running is three miles in 18 minutes. I'm not holding my breath on this one since I basically have no endurance now, but I will work on it. What is the fastest way to increase my running speed?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hypo
    Hi all. I just got a rude awakening today. I do about 170x6 for cable pulldowns. However, I weigh 200 pounds and absolutely suck when it comes to pullups! I can only do three or four, and that is not even bar all the way to the chest. I am seriously considering joining the marines and to get a perfect entrance score I will need to do 20 pullups (as well as 200 situps in 2 minutes, I believe). You only need to do 3 to get in boot, but I know a verý high entrance score looks good and ups my chances for promotion. Besides, being in tip top shape can only help me.

So my basic question is what is the fastest way to get where I need to be? This goes for the situps and the pullups. Should I just bust my ass multiple times a day doing as many pullups/situps as I can, or stick to once a week? What about other back exercises, stick to the 4-6 reps I'm doing now or should I change my whole body to 20 reps or so? I know I will lose weight but that actually helps me.

BTW- IIRC, perfect entrace score for running is three miles in 18 minutes. I'm not holding my breath on this one since I basically have no endurance now, but I will work on it. What is the fastest way to increase my running speed?

I am a former Marine who can still do over 20 dead hangs (at 245) so listen up. What worked for me was to do weighted pullups once a week, no more than a couple work sets, and then every couple of weeks I would do however many sets it took to get 50. I would log all of this in my green note book and every week, I would try to improve on the previous weeks performance. Of course this was in conjunction with a total body lifting program and running at least 3 days a week. Also, I would normaly train palms away but would do my PFT pullups with a supinated grip to bring my biceps into play (helped me squeeze out a couple more reps). As far as situps, they now do crunches instead so just practincing crunches and other ab exercises twicw a week helped me to hit 200 easy. As far as the running, the fastest I ever ran was about 19 minutes or so which is the only thing that kept me from scoring a perfect 300. Didn't matter too much though as I always scored a 1st class. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Bro I got the same problem. Weigjing 260+ I can only get 3 full motion reps with just bodyweight. Although I do slow TUT and get a really good stretch at the bottom, but still, I think that if I could get more reps, it would give my lats a better shape.

Since I don't train at the gym, I don;t have access, but they have those assisted pull-up apparatuses that may help gaining some more strenght little by little.
    •   

4. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by supersize77
    I am a former Marine who can still do over 20 dead hangs (at 245) so listen up. What worked for me was to do weighted pullups once a week, no more than a couple work sets, and then every couple of weeks I would do however many sets it took to get 50. I would log all of this in my green note book and every week, I would try to improve on the previous weeks performance. Of course this was in conjunction with a total body lifting program and running at least 3 days a week. Also, I would normaly train palms away but would do my PFT pullups with a supinated grip to bring my biceps into play (helped me squeeze out a couple more reps). As far as situps, they now do crunches instead so just practincing crunches and other ab exercises twicw a week helped me to hit 200 easy. As far as the running, the fastest I ever ran was about 19 minutes or so which is the only thing that kept me from scoring a perfect 300. Didn't matter too much though as I always scored a 1st class. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi
    Currently he can only do 175lbs on lat pull down. He weighs 200 lbs how is he going to do weighted pull ups?

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.
    Answers

do a search for pavels ladder &/or synaptic facilitation guys. hope this helps.
  6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Answers

thanks for the advice. I do remember reading something a while back on this topic regarding rest pausing. I do have an assisted pullup machine at the gym. I am thinking of doing whatever weight I can x20 every week and slowly lowering the assistance weight until I do not need it. So once a week training is best?

BTW- if they let you do the test with supinated palms that will make it a bit easier for me. Do they regulate how far away your hands must be?
  7. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Answers

also to any marines out there including supersize- is it more important to hit the perfect 300 or is the only thing that matters the "1st class" score? ie do they not look at the numerical score only the class score?
  8. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by supersize77
    I would log all of this in my green note book
    That's what I've been doing wrong! I have a yellow notebook!!!!

hey hypo i would keep practicing, even if u can only get a few pullups, strive to get ONE more every 2 weeks, then add weight.
    also if u practice running, you will start losing some weight so that will help you with your pullups if you're lighter.
    If you can do chins instead of pullups on the test (i think you can) then I would opt for chins--much easier.

good luck!
  9. Registered User
    Answers

i would definetly change out the pulldowns for pullups, even if they are assisted...which i really am not a fan of either. my advice is similar to lifted's but I would pullups 2x a week...but i would also do everything twice a week. try a upper/lower split 2x a week each. or more importantly since you need to increase your cardiovascular....I would do an upper/lower/upper split with some HIIT and distance cardio worked in. reduce back volume on other excercises....do only 1 vertical movement each session (and one horizontal) and make sure the vertical is pullups/assisted rather than pulldowns. once you can do 8-10, add weight. weighted pullups are where you want to get to. hell, i never do high volume besides a quick 15 for a warmup.
    If your really intent on doing higher volume...then do one upper body strength and one upper body volume day; during the volume do reps in the 10-12 range etc.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER
    Currently he can only do 175lbs on lat pull down. He weighs 200 lbs how is he going to do weighted pull ups?

CROWLER
    I was telling him what I did and while it may not be optimal to add weight until he can do at least 12, he could still quickly work his way up to the 4-6 rep range with 10 lbs. Low rep training was something I used successfully which translated into more total pullups performed.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Something else....I did very low volume training and hit each body part only once a week. This is because with the amount of running you are required to do, you will overtrian quickly if your weighttraining volume is to high. Just watch your green notebook (it has to be green, yellow is for babies) to make sure your numbers are improving and watch for signs of overtraining as it is very easy to "cross over" into that zone.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Answers

also to any marines out there including supersize- is it more important to hit the perfect 300 or is the only thing that matters the "1st class" score? ie do they not look at the numerical score only the class score?
    Not crucial at all to hit 300. I was in the 280s b/c my run time was never perfect and had a very good career. You just want to be above average in everything: PFT, rifle range, Pros/Cons, etc. and you will do great. Obviously you want to strive to score as high as possible, but if you never hit 300 its no biggie b/c 90+% of all other Marines never do either.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Answers

One more thing, you are allowed to do them either pronated or supinated as long as they are dead hang (all the way down).
  14. Registered User
    Answers

Just incorporate weighted Pull/Chin ups. Within a month you will be amazed at how many you can do with no weight. Just depends on how hard you push yourself.
  15. Registered User
    Answers

id have to say "just keep doin your pullups"
    i went from 2 to 18 in 4 months so
    i work back once a week and i do my pullups first 3 sets till failure

but then again the reason i was at 2 was because i was a lazy bumb for 3 years straight but normally ima high energy guy so i got back into the groove of things pretty quickly
  16. Ectomorph man
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Answers

If you don't gain weight much your pullup strength will increase if you keep hitting them
    I peaked at 180lbs for my maximum weight and could do about 9-10 before I crashed... I've dropped weight down to a lean 165 since I run a lot now (I'm training for the Navy btw) and I get about 15 widegrips in and over 20 narrow grips... closer to 30 chinups (supinated grip)
  17. Registered User
    Answers

I found this little article over at bb.com. Hope it helps.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...hmentid=231351
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Answers

Pullups are not made for heavy ppl

I'm lucky if I can get 8-10 at 230ish....maybe hwen i lose some BF i can get 12-15...To do lots of pullups, practice, and hope you're built for 'em
  19. Ectomorph man
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00
    Pullups are not made for heavy ppl

I'm lucky if I can get 8-10 at 230ish....maybe hwen i lose some BF i can get 12-15...To do lots of pullups, practice, and hope you're built for 'em
    Yeah I think its the whole power/weight ratio
  20. Registered User
    Answers

First of all, Corpsmen are the only ones who score perfect pft's, J/K, But seriously, I went from doing 8 pullups (wide grip) to 33 in 6 months, I used the lat pulldown machine with the modified hand grips on the outside, so your palms face in, really seemed to increase my power just doing something different, also, when doing regular pullups, do them in a pyramid fashion in 2's up to as much as you can do and then back down, looking something like this.

2, rest for 20-30 secs, 4, rest, 6, rest, to the max you can do and then come back down by 2's. It worked for me, but then again, I have been called a genetic freak.

P.S. Don't join the Marine Corps or any branch, just sell your body on the street, much less hassle same amount of getting screwed. lol.

-Pain
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Answers

Hey, p4p, how much do you weigh? And, how tall?
  22. Registered User
    Answers

Hey Beowolf where you at? I know Beo is supposed to know how to increase your pullup strength. All I can say is practice. Kids who can do a lot of pullups usually do a lot of them all the time. I mean you have big, big dudes who can do pullups in prison, why?....because they do them all the time! Check out the Ruff Ryders thug workout (no I am NOT KIDDING) They have a dude in there that is about 230lbs repping with the pullups in perfect form. I got better by doing them in the middle of other workouts and just throwing them in whenever.
  23. Registered User
    Answers

Somebody should look up Charles Poliquin, I'm sure he's posted something in regards to getting stronger on pullups.
  24. Registered User
    Answers

Hey, p4p, how much do you weigh? And, how tall?
    190 and 5'11", at least 150 of that is upper body . But I can still run though, Imagine that. lol. I keep a very low b/f percentage, so I am not lugging much extra around.

-Pain
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Answers

Still.....33 is nutz! At 190lbs that's a lot of pullups. GJ.
  26. Registered User
    Answers

Still.....33 is nutz! At 190lbs that's a lot of pullups. GJ.
    Thanks man, i bet you thought I weighed like 130-140 and only did calesthenics huh, hahahaha.

Hypo: hey bro, just work on your run, you will lose some b/f and that will help some, plus they will help you if you are still having pullup trouble when you get in, now if you are a slow bastard, they will have you up at 0430 running untill you puke, telling you what a fat piece you are the whole time. Thats if you go to a grunt unit, if you go to some pog unit then don't worry about anything, eat mcdonalds and get fat. Now if you are thinking about coming to a Recon unit, you should definitely be able to kill a 1st class pft, in fact you should be able to add 10 to every thing and subtract 1 from the run. How old are you by the way.

-pain
  27. Registered User
    Answers

i wish i could do ONE..... all my physical strength went to my legs....
  28. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I am definately working on my running since my cardio endurnace also sucks. I usually just walked at an incline whenever I did cardio, as I was more interested in fat burning that endurance. Don't worry, I definately plan on training enough to not get put in the extra PT unit, lol. I think the mistake most of those guys make is totally overestimating how fit they are without ever having tried. Either that or thinking recruit training will whip them into shape for them (which they will!).

I plan on going into 18xx. That is M1A1 or AAV crewman. Hopefully the M1A1 crewman, as I like the idea of 70 tons of armor surrounding me . All I have to do is NOT score swim level 2 in boot, because if you do they put you in AAV since not many recruits can get swim qual 2.

i only have about 12-13% bodyfat eating whatever I want, so I never did much cardio or got super anal on the diet as that was good enough for me for asthetics. I'm 20
  29. Registered User
    Answers

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I am definately working on my running since my cardio endurnace also sucks. I usually just walked at an incline whenever I did cardio, as I was more interested in fat burning that endurance. Don't worry, I definately plan on training enough to not get put in the extra PT unit, lol. I think the mistake most of those guys make is totally overestimating how fit they are without ever having tried. Either that or thinking recruit training will whip them into shape for them (which they will!).

I plan on going into 18xx. That is M1A1 or AAV crewman. Hopefully the M1A1 crewman, as I like the idea of 70 tons of armor surrounding me . All I have to do is NOT score swim level 2 in boot, because if you do they put you in AAV since not many recruits can get swim qual 2.

i only have about 12-13% bodyfat eating whatever I want, so I never did much cardio or got super anal on the diet as that was good enough for me for asthetics. I'm 20
    Hypo,

Killer I really hope you hit the 20 mark but here is just a little advice from someone who has done all this "cool" ****. It isn't that cool. When I joined I said, spec ops or nothin', good choice, however, combat is not paint ball, and when you see your friends (hard guys) screaming for their wife or mother with the lower half of their torso and legs missing, and then telling their wives and parents gee, he was a good ****ing guy, you kind of question how cool it is. Hey man I am going to give it to you straight, Armor is just the state that metal is in before it becomes shrapnel. If you want to be in a trac or aav, you got more balls than I do. You will learn real quick that T.V. and the recruiters lie. I joined when I was 17 young, dumb and full of cum, not saying that you are but, if you have any other alternative do that. If you think about it, any movie that you've ever seen always has at least one hero that survives and gets the girl and all that. I really hate to be the downer, we all hope to be that guy, but sometimes no one is. And if you do make it back, there is an 80% chance that your wife/gf has been sleeping with some other guy or you will get served with divorce papers or a break up because "it's just to hard". Sure every one is all patriotic right now, but how long is that going to last, you lose a limb, how are you going to support a family. Are all the pro-war supporters going to give you a job or send you donations. Its not worth it bro.

-Pain
  30. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by lifted
    Bro I got the same problem. Weighing 260+ I can only get 3 full motion reps with just bodyweight. Although I do slow TUT and get a really good stretch at the bottom, but still, I think that if I could get more reps, it would give my lats a better shape.

Since I don't train at the gym, I don;t have access, but they have those assisted pull-up apparatuses that may help gaining some more strenght little by little.
    Yeah man, its a little embarassing needing assistance for pull ups, but its hard to get pull ups for 10-12 reps like I want, so I suck it up and use the machine.
  31. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pain4pleasure
    Hypo,

Killer I really hope you hit the 20 mark but here is just a little advice from someone who has done all this "cool" ****. It isn't that cool. When I joined I said, spec ops or nothin', good choice, however, combat is not paint ball, and when you see your friends (hard guys) screaming for their wife or mother with the lower half of their torso and legs missing, and then telling their wives and parents gee, he was a good ****ing guy, you kind of question how cool it is. Hey man I am going to give it to you straight, Armor is just the state that metal is in before it becomes shrapnel. If you want to be in a trac or aav, you got more balls than I do. You will learn real quick that T.V. and the recruiters lie. I joined when I was 17 young, dumb and full of cum, not saying that you are but, if you have any other alternative do that. If you think about it, any movie that you've ever seen always has at least one hero that survives and gets the girl and all that. I really hate to be the downer, we all hope to be that guy, but sometimes no one is. And if you do make it back, there is an 80% chance that your wife/gf has been sleeping with some other guy or you will get served with divorce papers or a break up because "it's just to hard". Sure every one is all patriotic right now, but how long is that going to last, you lose a limb, how are you going to support a family. Are all the pro-war supporters going to give you a job or send you donations. Its not worth it bro.

-Pain
    Ooh rah.
  32. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Answers

well it sounds like you really had a ****ty time in the forces p4p. Thanks for the advice, but I'm not doing it because I think I'll be cool or because I saw it in a movie.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Answers

well it sounds like you really had a ****ty time in the forces p4p. Thanks for the advice, but I'm not doing it because I think I'll be cool or because I saw it in a movie.
    Ooh-rah
  34. More Cowbell
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pain4pleasure
    Hypo,

-Pain
    wow, one helluva pep talk there, Lou Holtz....
    now he's going to join the friggin' Navy.. Seriously though, you make good points. I went admin when I joined to help me get the better job when I got out. Now, I'm a firefighter w/ two co-workers that were grunts.. Admin was OK, I can now type faster..

As for getting those pull-ups, IMO, every time you hit the gym or go for a run, knock out a few pull ups. I too did them dead hang (absolutely zero rythem) I did them wide grip palms forward for training & then for PFT, palms in, narrow grip & got the 20 w/ no problems. Like someone else said, don't worry about the 300, just get your 1st class & you'll be fine.. 8 years & I never got below the 1st class mark...

JOIN THE CORPS!!! SEMPER FI!!
  35. Gold Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Ahh, I remember when the Marines tried to recruit me. It was awesome for a while cause they were so nice to me. I could do 45 overhand full-hang pullups and run 3 miles in about 14 minutes and I was always getting the thumbs up. Then, one day I caught the recruiter bull****ting me so I said, "When a gun is in my hand, I don't distnguish between friend and foe." That was the end of my relationship with the Marines.

But good luck to you man! I recommend a pullup program where every other day you do 40 pullups in as many sets as it takes but the fewer sets the better. Aim to increase the reps of the first set by 2 everytime.
    MOTIV8 II Challenge
    -=The Big Squirrel Nut Swingers=-
  36. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Answers

wow, a 14 minute 3 mile? Considering the world record is just a little under 13 minutes maybe you should start training for the olympics Not doubting you, I'm just saying.

I'm still working on just getting up to constant jogging, lol.

I'm up to about 7 pullups from my original of 3, for those who are curious. I'm working on it!

It seems like the services are a real love/hate relationship. I'm really in the mindset to have a good time though. Most of the people I've talked to who hated it hated it because they were forced to go or didn't have any other option, or went/were placed into an MOS they didn't really care for.
  37. Registered User
    Answers

So to get a perfect score you need to have a 3miles in 18min, 20 Pull ups, and 80 sit ups in 2 min? Am I correct?
  38. Board Supporter
    Answers

Hey shin, there's push-ups in there too somewhere. To the thread starter, good job with getting up to 7. Keep up the hard work bud. Spec. Ops. lead the way.
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Answers

wow, a 14 minute 3 mile? Considering the world record is just a little under 13 minutes maybe you should start training for the olympics Not doubting you, I'm just saying.

I'm still working on just getting up to constant jogging, lol.

I'm up to about 7 pullups from my original of 3, for those who are curious. I'm working on it!

It seems like the services are a real love/hate relationship. I'm really in the mindset to have a good time though. Most of the people I've talked to who hated it hated it because they were forced to go or didn't have any other option, or went/were placed into an MOS they didn't really care for.
    Good job on the progress. The military is pretty much what you make of it. My 1st Sergeant used to say: "It's not a good life, and it's not a bad life...it's just a life." Do you best, work hard, stay out of trouble (i.e. donít' be stupid, especially w/alcohol), and you'll be fine.
  40. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Answers

jshin- for a perfect score you will need 200 situps (crunches, actually) in 2 minutes, not 80. Also, pushups are not included in the USMC physical. They are inlcuded, however, for most of the other services.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. anyone get the chili's 2 for $20 for themselves......
    By hvactech in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 08:45 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 06:11 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 11:05 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-31-2011, 12:35 PM
  5. Help me get past 20 posts....
    By ksujosh6 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1