upper inner chest lagging

spoolin

Awards
I have been trying to get my lagging upper inner chest to grow. I have tried using a closer grip and i squeeze hard at the top. I only do about 9 sets a week for chest and dont get why its not growing. My outer chest overpowers my inner chest real bad. Any advice will be greatly appricated.

ching

Awards
Close grip dumbell raises(dumbell touching) works good

spoolin

Awards
Do you mean like front raises. If so i normally grab a 45lb plate and do raises on sholder day. I get what your saying in how that chould help. so should i used DB's instead of a plate?

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Close-grip incline bench press. Have sponges on top of your lifting gloves, this is REAL HARD on the outside edge of the hand. Keep the elbows wide and lower the bar to the lower chest. Use girlie-weights. Squeeze at the top.

One way to do it is do one full rep, then do a quarter rep at the top, squeezing HARD, then one more full rep.

Weights are low. FYI I use 225 on the incline, but 135 on the close grip. Nobody does this exercise but it works wonders if you give it time, because nothing will grow your upper/inner chest in a hurry anyways.........

spoolin

Awards
Thanks alot, Ill definatly give that a try. It sucks i look bigger with a cut-off on than shirtless cause my inner chest lags so much i guess that goes learning what to do correctly in the gym in the last year. If theres any other input give id appricate the advice.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I have been trying to get my lagging upper inner chest to grow. I have tried using a closer grip and i squeeze hard at the top. I only do about 9 sets a week for chest and dont get why its not growing. My outer chest overpowers my inner chest real bad. Any advice will be greatly appricated.
Ive got the same problem....delts take over b/c their overpowering.

SLOOOOOW smith incline press works great for me. Only thing I've found that does it.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Unconventional but try this...

I call it, the incline power press (closly related to charles glass's power press)

Get in a power rack. Set up an incline bench in side of it. Set up the adjustable bars so that when you bring the bar down, your arms are at about 90 degrees. EXPLODE up throught the weight, and come to a complete stop after EVERY rep by resting for just a sec on the adjustable bars. Good luck.

charliewat

Awards
Very slight incline dumbell presses and flys worked for me. Slight incline = less then 45 degrees, maybe 30.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established

I call it, the incline power press (closly related to charles glass's power press)

Get in a power rack. Set up an incline bench in side of it. Set up the adjustable bars so that when you bring the bar down, your arms are at about 90 degrees. EXPLODE up throught the weight, and come to a complete stop after EVERY rep by resting for just a sec on the adjustable bars. Good luck.
I like this idea.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
You can definitely target the clavicular fibers IMO.
Far be it from me to argue or try and dissuade any beliefs.

I've read a bit physiology in my time and i find it interesting that people think a close-grip will target "inner chest". I've never quite understood that one.

THE GREATEST

I'm Hungry
Awards
I agree with Charliewat, I used to have that problem, but I have found that incline (20-25 degree, or the first setting) flys going real deep and slow have made a huge difference....the slower and more controlled you go the better squeeze you'll get at contraction and you should feel it right where you want it...I stick with 10-12 reps for flys

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Far be it from me to argue or try and dissuade any beliefs.

I've read a bit physiology in my time and i find it interesting that people think a close-grip will target "inner chest". I've never quite understood that one.
Well the "inner" vs. "outer" chest debate is different from the "upper" vs. "lower" debate. The pectoralis major has fibers that attach to the sternum and fibers that attach to the clavicle. Benching on an incline and bringing the bar down to your clavicles hits the chest differently than doing a flat bench press and brining the bar down to your mid-lower chest.

Look at Franco Columbu's chest and you can see a clear distinction between the clavicular and sternal fibers of the chest:
http://www.muskulibg.com/gallery/best/Columbu19.jpg
http://www.2005olympia.com/new/images/40th/columbujpg.jpg
http://www.emusclemag.com/webimages/sandows/columbu/01_sm.jpg

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Well the "inner" vs. "outer" chest debate is different from the "upper" vs. "lower" debate. The pectoralis major has fibers that attach to the sternum and fibers that attach to the clavicle. Benching on an incline and bringing the bar down to your clavicles hits the chest differently than doing a flat bench press and brining the bar down to your mid-lower chest.

Look at Franco Columbu's chest and you can see a clear distinction between the clavicular and sternal fibers of the chest:
http://www.muskulibg.com/gallery/best/Columbu19.jpg
http://www.2005olympia.com/new/images/40th/columbujpg.jpg
http://www.emusclemag.com/webimages/sandows/columbu/01_sm.jpg
Yeah, Markus Rhul has this also. It's more genetics than anything.

BUT - stop trying to pull me into a physiology debate!

AgentOrange

Awards
Yeah, Markus Rhul has this also. It's more genetics than anything.

BUT - stop trying to pull me into a physiology debate!
I am not holding myself as any sort of expert, but I have studied a bit a physiology as well. My recollection is that there is a clear distinction between upper chest (pec minor) and lower chest (pec major). By contrast, however, there is no distinction between "inner chester" or "outer chest".

Any sort of incline press will work well to develop the pec minor. Poliquin had a good workout that inovlved lower the bench one notch between each set or some such.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
I am not holding myself as any sort of expert, but I have studied a bit a physiology as well. My recollection is that there is a clear distinction between upper chest (pec minor) and lower chest (pec major). By contrast, however, there is no distinction between "inner chester" or "outer chest".

Any sort of incline press will work well to develop the pec minor. Poliquin had a good workout that inovlved lower the bench one notch between each set or some such.
You'll need to read up on that again then, because the pec minor isn't the "upper" chest. It is beneath the pectoral major muscle, attached to ribs 3 and 5, i believe.

There's some theory that building the minor will "push up" the major in the upper region, but i doubt the difference would be hugely significant.

AgentOrange

Awards
You'll need to read up on that again then, because the pec minor isn't the "upper" chest. It is beneath the pectoral major muscle, attached to ribs 3 and 5, i believe.

There's some theory that building the minor will "push up" the major in the upper region, but i doubt the difference would be hugely significant.
Of course, my mistake. Pec major and anterior delt = horizontal flexion of shoulder joint (adduction). Pec minor and serratus anterior = scapula abduction?

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established

That sounds like a plan. I may give that a try for myself.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established

Ok, I tried this the other day and I liked it. I started chest off with this, but next time I'm lowering the bars one hole lower. My arms were just off 90 degrees on the high side by about an inch or so. Good one Spatch. Rep point for you.:clap2: