Proportions, symmetry

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, I've been wondering about this for a while: what are the best proportions? I mean, sure you want to be BIG and RIPPED, and have a pleasant physique. But what does the tape say?

Steve Reeve's measurements, when he won his Mr. Universe title, would possibly qualify you for a local show. And was this all natural? Testosterone was first made available as a supplement in the '40s so there is no guarantee that it was 100% unassisted. BUT what about today? Does everyone have arms the same size as their neck? Probably not... And calves = arms? Chest = 2x thighs? How does one calculate the weak points?

Maybe if you've got them, post some of the top BBers' measurements for comparison? I'd like to get an idea how it all works out...

I've found only some old ones, which might be considered more aesthetic :

Steve Reeves: height 6ft 1, weight 214lbs, arms 18 in, chest 52 in, thigh 26 in, calf 18 in, neck 18 in, forearm 14", wrist 7¼"

Kevin McNamara: height 5 ft 7½ in., weight 198 lb , arms 18 in, chest 49½ in, waist 29½ in, thighs 25 in, calf 17 in.

Casey Viator: height 5 ft 8 in, weight 217 lb, arms 19½ in, chest 50 in, waist 31½ in, thigh 28 in, calf 18 in.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Proportions and symmetry have obviously taken a back seat to overall mass, and b/c of that I have a feeling that most BBers don't pay as much attention to it as much as in the past. Its a damn shame IMO.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
when the old-time strongmen mutated into physical culturists, they looked to the ancient Greeks as ideals of bodily proportions. All those statues of human form (seem to) speak a universal language of agreeable propoortions....

Google can be frustrating when you're chasing this down, but here's something to play with: "Good Proportions for Bodybuilders."

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I went to that link. It's a nice idea. BUT when I enter Steve Reeve's weight and height, the "good measurements" ALL come up under what he had...

Same thing for all the other guys. So I guess that would be "Good proportions for an off-season BBER..."

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Proportion, symmetry, etc are all subjective.

Olivia and a few others said Reeves was not all natty. I'm sure his use waas probably minimal and definitely totally experimental.