Awards
I do legs about once per week...

Usually it consists of

leg press
squats
leg ext
leg curls
calve raises...

i need some tips for adding mass to my legs. They are seriously lacking...

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Drop isolation exercises for one. Stick to compound movments (ie squats, leg press, hack squats, SLDL, good mornings, etc). Form and progressive weight are key. Two, you need to add bodyweight to add mass so diet is very important here. There is numerous posts on what can be done, just do a search.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Stick with compounds like mentioned above. Also, a 4-6 rep range should do you nicely. Just make sure you bump the weight up 5-10 lbs each week (form permitting) and you will make big progress. My current leg day goes:

Front Squat 3 sets
Leg Press 3 sets
Leg Press Calf Raise 3 sets
Straight Leg DL 3 sets

I usually alternate the calfs with soleus every other workout schedule change, so I can concentrate on one at a time.

I think you will also find some serious stretching will release some potential from those legs as well...

JordyRoc

Awards
Honestly im not that big of a squatter.. I had a pretty serious back injury from a car accident when i was younger.. I have a hardtime keeping it straight... I suck it up tho... just not enough

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried using a belt? Make sure you're warming up. Sometimes it takes me 5 to 6 light warm up sets just to loosen up and feel good about moving on to my work sets.

JordyRoc

Awards
Have you tried using a belt? Make sure you're warming up. Sometimes it takes me 5 to 6 light warm up sets just to loosen up and feel good about moving on to my work sets.
Actually i dont use a belt....

Im going to try this tho.. Thanks for the tip

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I have a back injury as well. I only squat with the Smith machine and for 3 years I didn't squat at all. I still made serious progress on my legs and, in fact, some of the big squatters in my gym thought that I must be able to squat a shitload of weight. So I disagree that you must squat to get big legs. My workout partner, who has lifted his entire life, has made more progress since training with me for 2 years than all of the squatting that he has previously done in the past.

What I do is isolate the quads by changing foot position on the hack, Smith and leg press. I also do weighted walking lunges to hit the stabilizers. I do a lot of circuit and drop sets, rest pauses and slow reps. I also do ball squats and sissy squats.

One thing to note is that if you have a choice, use the Smith machine with vertical rails on it. The ones that are slanted suck ass IMO.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
I like pre-exhausting my hammies first (leg curls and stiff-leg deads) and then going right to squats, presses, etc.

Good change of pace.

Gumbo

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Travelling lunges with barbell on your shoulders is hardcore. My ass is always sore after these even when squatting doesn't cut it.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Honestly im not that big of a squatter.. I had a pretty serious back injury from a car accident when i was younger.. I have a hardtime keeping it straight... I suck it up tho... just not enough
Start doing rack deads and weighted situps.

You're back will probably be able to handle squats within a few months.

Strong abs, strong lower back == no probs :D

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Start doing rack deads and weighted situps.

You're back will probably be able to handle squats within a few months.

Strong abs, strong lower back == no probs :D
I'm loving rack deads. Much easier on my lower back. Hit some side bends too.

foo.c

Board Supporter
Awards
I have a back injury as well. I only squat with the Smith machine and for 3 years I didn't squat at all. I still made serious progress on my legs and, in fact, some of the big squatters in my gym thought that I must be able to squat a shitload of weight. So I disagree that you must squat to get big legs. My workout partner, who has lifted his entire life, has made more progress since training with me for 2 years than all of the squatting that he has previously done in the past.
My results tend to echo yours. I have no problems squatting, and I always go ass-to-grass.

But, I feel squats work my ass much more than my legs. I feel my quads being worked more on the leg press and hack squat machines.

CSK

Board Supporter
Awards
You ever try front squats or safety squats?

jonesboy

jonesboy

Awards
  • Established
I've been using HST and been making some good gains on my legs. Just like Natedogg said progressive load is the key. A good example is to find your 10 RM and then go no lower than 70% of that and progressivly increase your weight. On HST that would be over 6 workouts. RM on HST is not to muscle failure but form failure. www.hypertrophy-specific.com

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
My legs grow fine with Squats and SLDL's. After those two, I usually move on to single leg presses, smith machine lunges, and hamstring curls.

Also, try doing 'foxsets', supersetting hacks with legpresses. Then you will know pain!!!:)

BV

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
My legs grow fine with Squats and SLDL's. After those two, I usually move on to single leg presses, smith machine lunges, and hamstring curls.

Also, try doing 'foxsets', supersetting hacks with legpresses. Then you will know pain!!!:)

BV
Smith Sumos yesterday, finishing with 315 for 8. That was just the beginning. :cheers: I downloaded Ronnie Coleman "The Unbelievable" from Shareaza and the rest is history. If you haven't, check it out. :eek:

Shredmn21

Shredmn21

Awards

What I do is isolate the quads by changing foot position on the hack, Smith and leg press. I also do weighted walking lunges to hit the stabilizers. I do a lot of circuit and drop sets, rest pauses and slow reps. I also do ball squats and sissy squats.

One thing to note is that if you have a choice, use the Smith machine with vertical rails on it. The ones that are slanted suck ass IMO.
Straight up. Whoever says squatting is absolutely necessary to have big legs is incredibly misinformed. There is nothing magical about the squat. It’s just another tool for hypertrophy and it’s not far superior to a hack squat or a leg press.

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Trying the belt should help big time... get a buckled leather one tho, felt 100x's more supportive than a nylon velcro one.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I was going to type some recommendations but my head hurts from all the reply’s.

But, start doing heavy high reps sets, like 20+ sets and you’ll see growth.

Last edited:
Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I was going to type some recommendations but my head hurts from all the reply’s.

But, start doing heavy high reps sets, like 20+ sets and you’ll see growth.
Please reply need some advice

stacy1212

stacy1212

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fvck, I messed up, I didn’t see the original date of the thread, if OP haven’t got bigger legs in the past 16 years he should probably give up on lifting weights
This is awesome! Thanks for the laugh this morning. Love it.

xsports76

Awards
20 rep leg press sets on 90sec splits for 5 sets.
Yep I quit siding squats all together so I could continue to work legs twice a week while still deadlifting...I’m 45 so my lower back could t take the volume...I do 20-25 rep sets with 5-7 plates depending on how I’m feeling on leg press twice a week...my legs are pretty damn muscular...all about volume if you want to grow