Split help needed

seefooddiet

Awards
This is my first post but I've been reading for a while. Based mostly on the advice found on this board I've started a using a lower volume/higher intensity method of training and its been working well so far, especially since I'm an ectomorph. I wanted to post my split here and see anyone could offer advice as to what I might want to consider changing. I go three weeks with this program and one backoff week (with half the volume and light weight). - Thanks

Pull (monday)
Pullups - as many sets as it takes to get 30
Bent-over BB rows - 4x6-8
Seated rows - 4x6-8
Shrugs - 4x6-8
BB curls - 2x6-8
DB curls - 2x6-8

Legs (wednesday)
Leg extension - 3x6-10
Squats - 4x6-8
STDL - 4x6-8
Hack squat or leg press - 4x6-8
Leg curl - 3x6-8
Standing calf raise - 3x6-12

Push (friday)
BB bench - 4x6-8
Incline DB - 4x6-8
Military Smith - 3x6-8
Upright rows - 3x6-8
Close-grip bench - 3x6-8
Skullcrushers - 3x6-8

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Pull (monday)
Pullups - as many sets as it takes to get 30
Bent-over BB rows - 4x6-8
Seated rows - 4x6-8
Shrugs - 4x6-8
BB curls - 2x6-8
DB curls - 2x6-8

Legs (wednesday)
Leg extension - 3x6-10
Squats - 4x6-8
STDL - 4x6-8
Hack squat or leg press - 4x6-8
Leg curl - 3x6-8
Standing calf raise - 3x6-12

Push (friday)
BB bench - 4x6-8
Incline DB - 4x6-8
Military Smith - 3x6-8
Upright rows - 3x6-8
Close-grip bench - 3x6-8
Skullcrushers - 3x6-8
I would say, start off with no more than 2 exercises per area, and try to choose exercises that are slightly different to recruit all the muscles in a given area. 3-5 sets per exercise is a good starting point. Get rid of isolation exercises for the most part, go ahead and keep one of the two curl exercises though (good luck getting a bodybuilder to give up curls). Get rid of the hack squat, leg extension and leg curl. You also don't need that many benching exercises, and upright rows are bad for your shoulders. I'd stick with flat BB bench and military press (not on that stupid smith contraption, it doesn't develop stabilizer muscles and the groove is slightly unnatural). I would add 1 set every other week to each workout, work up for 8 weeks, then drop two sets from each workout and start over (this is called pendulum loading). This will slowly increase your work capacity and fitness over time while avoiding stagnation, and some good hypertrophy should come along with it.