Science behind deadlifting/squating without shoes?

CJNator

Awards
I have read a while ago that it is better for spinal support to deadlift/squat without shoes but are there are other actual benefits?

Krymzinn

Awards
Dont think it would be a good idea. If anything i think it would screw up your back because youre sitting flat footed

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have read a while ago that it is better for spinal support to deadlift/squat without shoes but are there are other actual benefits?
I'd prefer with shoes to be able to grip the floor and generate torque, enabling a tighter position. Flat sole for deadlift and squat, maybe Olympic shoe (hard sturdy heel) depending on individual mobility and squat style.

CJNator

Awards
Dont think it would be a good idea. If anything i think it would screw up your back because youre sitting flat footed
I wish I can find same article, i was a good explanation why it was good to do it without shoes. Well most drive is with the heels while doing SQ/DL, wouldn't a shoe not allow good heel drive therefore it might be easier to mess up. I can't SQ/DL with shoes anymore, if I do I absolutely hate it.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wish I can find same article, i was a good explanation why it was good to do it without shoes. Well most drive is with the heels while doing SQ/DL, wouldn't a shoe not allow good heel drive therefore it might be easier to mess up. I can't SQ/DL with shoes anymore, if I do I absolutely hate it.
What kind of shoes were you wearing before?

And I can understand conventional deadlift barefoot.

Either way, I feel a flat/stable soled shoe is more fitting to squat than barefoot. IMO

CJNator

Awards
What kind of shoes were you wearing before?

And I can understand conventional deadlift barefoot.

Either way, I feel a flat/stable soled shoe is more fitting to squat than barefoot. IMO
It was a running shoe so definitely not for DLs or SQs. I do agree with a flat soled shoe, I feel IMO it would be basically the same as flat foot.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It was a running shoe so definitely not for DLs or SQs. I do agree with a flat soled shoe, I feel IMO it would be basically the same as flat foot.
I guess it would be dependent on technique. I personally depend on a flat shoe with a good grip to the floor for my squats and sumo pulls. I'd be interested in that article.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I can't lift without shoes. Gives me muscle cramps in my feet. I supposes a good rollout with a lacrosse ball first might help though.

CJNator

Awards
I guess it would be dependent on technique. I personally depend on a flat shoe with a good grip to the floor for my squats and sumo pulls. I'd be interested in that article.
I wish I can find it, I read that a long time ago.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have never conventional deadlifted in shoes. I just prefer not to. I use 0 rise for sumo, just for grip.

CJNator

Awards
I have never conventional deadlifted in shoes. I just prefer not to. I use 0 rise for sumo, just for grip.
Same here, I tried sumo shoeless and slipped, also crushed my foot lol but its all good.

Edit: I looked up those shoes, might just get them.