Barbell rows Overhand vs Underhand

CJNator

Awards
Besides broscience, its there actually a difference in lat/back muscle recruitment or no?

FlexP

FlexP

Awards
I would also like to see some scientific proof, good thread.

I personally use underhand when going for 4-8 reps.. Overhand I will do with a lighter weight for reps.. I tend to vary positioning myself simply for the change up and recruiting new growth.

CJNator

Awards
I like to do both but usually depends on if it is a heavy deadift day(overhand) or if I DL at the end/volume day(underhand).

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
I feel that doing underhand I can tuck my elbows more vs overhand I feel it a lot more in lower traps. Not sure on any science though

CJNator

Awards
I feel that doing underhand I can tuck my elbows more vs overhand I feel it a lot more in lower traps. Not sure on any science though
I definitely agree with you on that. I do feel it differently with both grips. I've read pull up and chin ups recruit the same mount of lat muscle but they both feel way different(assuming due to the type of grip).

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
do both!
under for lower development bent more, pull bar to below or at navel.
overhand for upper development, pull an inch or so above navel/upper abdominals.

case closed and for the win for all. squeeze all that you got at the top of the range m'f'ers... try this and thank me later

coming from a winged beast, personal answer from Mr. Dorian Yates. The best back in history of mankind in my opinion.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Besides broscience, its there actually a difference in lat/back muscle recruitment or no?
You're gonna have to give me a min to find the study, but it measured width of grip AND under/over hand.

The nuts and bolts was that overhand recruited the lats more, and underhand recruited biceps more than lats (though both were recruited in the movement).

However, there was NO statistical difference in width of grip.

CJNator

Awards
You're gonna have to give me a min to find the study, but it measured width of grip AND under/over hand.

The nuts and bolts was that overhand recruited the lats more, and underhand recruited biceps more than lats (though both were recruited in the movement).

However, there was NO statistical difference in width of grip.
Thanks!