Pull up problem

hmatthews50

Awards
When I do pull ups I have trouble pulling straight up to the bar. Instead I tend to pull up and end up with my chest too far away from the bar and struggle to get my chin over it. Is it a mobility issue or a strength issue?

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It could possibly be an issue with lat strength. Using an assisted pull-up machine to help work on and maintain solid form could be beneficial. Keep your chest up and focus on using your lats to execute the movement, as opposed to your biceps.

DonnieM

DonnieM

Awards
  • Established
Try doing like breezy11 said, assisted pull-up machine. Also do other lat exercises, cable lat pulldowns etc.
Instead of using a straight bar when doing pull-ups, try different grips, for some a neutral grip feels better.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
As others have mentioned assisted pull up....

You could use bands (rubber fitness bands) for an assisted pull-up on the bar if you don't have an "assisted pull up machine).

Capt Awesome

Awards
If you can maintain good form using some type of assistance, as mentioned by others, then it's most likely a strength issue. If, however, you still have the same issue then it may be more of a mobility/flexibility issue.

Holland

Holland

Awards
Put your legs slightly forward and brace your abs keep it all tight. And just see if that works.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prince IronMag Labs 1
General Chat 6
Localaxis Training Forum 14
Supplements 1
Supplements 8