Over Training

JG93

JG93

Awards
Is this really a thing?
I mean I can't seem to find anywhere, that tells me a general timeline on what would be overtraining.
Rotation of upper and lower body days, with one day a week of rest, enough rest on those muscles?

Would like to see what everyone's opinions are to this subject here.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
99.9% of the time there is no way you can overtrain. even professional athletes that train as their job will never overtrain. the body has many things in place to prevent overtraining.

one thing is underrecovering. most people experience this as their diet is crap and they do not sleep enough. they think they are overtraining when they just need a step it down a notch for a few days.

Tufts604

Tufts604

Awards
It is very hard to tell you if you are resting adequately based on so little info. Even with more info you still must asses the results and how you feel. I think if training upper lower split you should have at least two off days a week. Upper/lower/Off repeat. If you do not feel you need that much off time you may not be lifting with enough intensity or volume. IMO. When I did upper lower I did two days off a week and a third when I felt necessary.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Is this really a thing?
I mean I can't seem to find anywhere, that tells me a general timeline on what would be overtraining.
Rotation of upper and lower body days, with one day a week of rest, enough rest on those muscles?

There is no "one size fits all" timeline on what would be considered over training. For the majority of people, it never really comes into play. Now, for Pro athletes not on roids its a different story. But for your average fitness enthusiast, you won't likely reach that level of stress on your body.

NOW, that being said, there can be instances where your CNS gets burned out. Stress from life, depression, anxiety, drinking heavy/drug use, insomnia...any of which combined with a rigorous 4-5+ day intense training regimen would certainly result in overtraining (which is really CNS burnout as opposed to what many think means overworked muscles).

One easy (though not super accurate) indicator of "overtraining" is your resting Heart Rate. If you know your avg resting HR, you can compare your resting HR after a day of intense training to see if you've resumed back to baseline. Again, its not the end all be all test, but its accurate enough for our purposes here.

JG93

JG93

Awards
There is no "one size fits all" timeline on what would be considered over training. For the majority of people, it never really comes into play. Now, for Pro athletes not on roids its a different story. But for your average fitness enthusiast, you won't likely reach that level of stress on your body.

NOW, that being said, there can be instances where your CNS gets burned out. Stress from life, depression, anxiety, drinking heavy/drug use, insomnia...any of which combined with a rigorous 4-5+ day intense training regimen would certainly result in overtraining (which is really CNS burnout as opposed to what many think means overworked muscles).

One easy (though not super accurate) indicator of "overtraining" is your resting Heart Rate. If you know your avg resting HR, you can compare your resting HR after a day of intense training to see if you've resumed back to baseline. Again, its not the end all be all test, but its accurate enough for our purposes here.
Thank you.
I am currently on cycle, and my heart rate seems to be around 100 lately.

I only ask because, I am on a 6 day training reg. and wanted to make sure I wouldn't over do myself only being almost 2 weeks in.
I workout, and feel like I can keep going.
I come home, push ups/sit ups.
I feel as I am never muscle sore or tired. And I train hard.
I know that is the cycle I'm on, just wanted to verify sort of, overtraining without feeling it.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Thank you.
I am currently on cycle, and my heart rate seems to be around 100 lately.

I only ask because, I am on a 6 day training reg. and wanted to make sure I wouldn't over do myself only being almost 2 weeks in.
I workout, and feel like I can keep going.
I come home, push ups/sit ups.
I feel as I am never muscle sore or tired. And I train hard.
I know that is the cycle I'm on, just wanted to verify sort of, overtraining without feeling it.
No problem.

That sounds normal when "on cycle." What anabolics are you taking right now?

HR is maybe a little high (normal off cycle avg rest HR for a male is about 72...not considering other factors like age and fitness level). 60-100 HR is the medical range for normalcy. You watching your BP? Sometimes that can get a little out of hand as well when on AAS as well.

JG93

JG93

Awards
No problem.

That sounds normal when "on cycle." What anabolics are you taking right now?

HR is maybe a little high (normal off cycle avg rest HR for a male is about 72...not considering other factors like age and fitness level). 60-100 HR is the medical range for normalcy. You watching your BP? Sometimes that can get a little out of hand as well when on AAS as well.

Yea, bp is 121/72 pretty good.
Hr monitor may have been inaccurate. I don't pay as much attention to hr. I check bp every 3-4 days as it seems to be staying normal.
Just a 6 week epistane cycle (first cycle)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
100 RHR is pretty high unless you've trained within the past few hours.

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
would any of you guys consider 9 sessions a week of 1.5-2hrs per session overtraining as an 18 yr old natural? i dont really feel overly tired and eat alot to help repair (4-5,000 cals).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
would any of you guys consider 9 sessions a week of 1.5-2hrs per session overtraining as an 18 yr old natural? i dont really feel overly tired and eat alot to help repair (4-5,000 cals).
Without specifics, hard to say, but that kind of volume makes little sense unless you're an Oly lifter.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Is that all weight training or is that lifting + a sport of some kind?

I trained more hours than that a week preparing for kickboxing fights at that age.

Listen to your body. If you feel good then I don't see too much of a problem. As far as building muscle goes though, you'd benefit more from less training.

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
Without specifics, hard to say, but that kind of volume makes little sense unless you're an Oly lifter.
sorry for the late reply, i train all my muscle groups once + chest, back, abs and calves twice. 3-4 days a week i train morning and afternoon.
i train quite intense and dont feel worn out but from most peoples standards i am overtraining?

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
Is that all weight training or is that lifting + a sport of some kind?

I trained more hours than that a week preparing for kickboxing fights at that age.

Listen to your body. If you feel good then I don't see too much of a problem. As far as building muscle goes though, you'd benefit more from less training.
you think so? my main goal is to build muscle and yes all those sessions are weight lifting, i dont feel overly worn out or anything but at the same time i dont want to ruin progress by overtraining. my nutrition is quite good, would you say 6 sessions is better than 8-9?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This week I have one of my periodic bouts of insomnia. Never had insomnia until I started weightlifting in earnest.[beyond the beginner phase] I think it is due to over training. Been at it seven days a week. cardio boot camp, weights, weights, cardio, weights, weights, weights today.Nothing done easy. 1hr-1.20min each session. I feel beat right now after terrible sleep yesterday. Still going in this a.m.. I do not drink coffee past Noon. No stimulants otherwise.

Previously, I will take a day off and good sleep returns. Have been skimpy on food this week.

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
Is this really a thing?

Keep pushing yourself to your limits and find out for yourself.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
you think so? my main goal is to build muscle and yes all those sessions are weight lifting, i dont feel overly worn out or anything but at the same time i dont want to ruin progress by overtraining. my nutrition is quite good, would you say 6 sessions is better than 8-9?
EDIT: Forgot you were on cycle.

Keep eating like a horse and training as much as your body feels is right. IF you're not feeling burned out/fatigued or overly sore keep on rocking man.

While on cycle your body can handle greater stress and supraphysiological levels of hormones + good diet aid in faster than normal repair times. Enjoy it now.

Whats your PCT going to look like?

Willdawg

Awards
99.9% of the time there is no way you can overtrain. even professional athletes that train as their job will never overtrain. the body has many things in place to prevent overtraining.

one thing is underrecovering. most people experience this as their diet is crap and they do not sleep enough. they think they are overtraining when they just need a step it down a notch for a few days.
Agreeeeed

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
EDIT: Forgot you were on cycle.

Keep eating like a horse and training as much as your body feels is right. IF you're not feeling burned out/fatigued or overly sore keep on rocking man.

While on cycle your body can handle greater stress and supraphysiological levels of hormones + good diet aid in faster than normal repair times. Enjoy it now.

Whats your PCT going to look like?
hahaha nah im not on cycle man! never have been. ill take some of your advice though and maybe drop my training to 6 sessions instead of 8-9 or just have a month or two here or there were i have a couple of less sessions, to give my body a little bit of a rest

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
hahaha nah im not on cycle man! never have been. ill take some of your advice though and maybe drop my training to 6 sessions instead of 8-9 or just have a month or two here or there were i have a couple of less sessions, to give my body a little bit of a rest
My bad, it was the OP who is on AAS. I got you two confused. Drop back a few sessions and see how your body reacts.

What kind of a split are you on with that many sessions? You should be able to DEMOLISH your muscles with a 4-5 day split, giving them just enough time to completely recover before you hit them again.

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
yeah no dramas, my split is.

monday morning: chest
monday afternoon: back
tuesday morning: arms
tuesday afternoon: legs
wednesday afternoon: abs, calves, forearms
thursday morning: back
thursday afternoon chest
friday: shoulders

aim is to prioritise chest and back which are the two muscle groups which are slightly underdeveloped compared to the rest

anabolicanth

anabolicanth

Awards
My bad, it was the OP who is on AAS. I got you two confused. Drop back a few sessions and see how your body reacts.

What kind of a split are you on with that many sessions? You should be able to DEMOLISH your muscles with a 4-5 day split, giving them just enough time to completely recover before you hit them again.
sorry i forgot to quote, read above ^
i occaisionaly add another workout on saturday depending on how im feeling but thats the average routine, which i feel fine about apart from the early mornings which i can be tired for