Shoulder pain not sure what it is

Jason11111

Awards
For the last couple of weeks when ever I bench pressed or shoulder pressed my shoulder what start to hurt.

It only hurts on bench when the bar is close to my chest.

I've been doing 4 sets of face pulls throughout my training history so I don't think it's a muscular imbalance.

Pretty much the pain is more towards the outside of my shoulders and only on the left side.

When I do arm swings ( swinging arms in a circle) I can somewhat feel the injury in a way.

I did upright rows today and that is when my shoulder started to hurt the most out of all exercise. Which is weird because that's a trap movement?

Is this a rotator cuff injury or another type of shoulder injury? Could it be from overtraining? Or a muscular imbalance? What can I do to fix it?

If there's anything else you need to know that might help me identify what the injury is from please ask.

Thank you to everyone who responds.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sounds like a possible shoulder impingement to me or the beginning of one...start with some good stretching/ mobility exercises. There are a ton of videos out there. You can use bands, bars, brooms, etc. I would also suggest rolling and mashing with a lacrosse ball to help loosen any tight muscles.

YouBet33

YouBet33

Awards
See an ortho/sport doc. I don't mess with shoulders myself. I've tried the wait and see approach to find out I've further hurt myself.

Jason11111

Awards
I don't wanna see a doc unless it gets really bad.

I'm gunna go easy on it for now and see if it heals.

I would try to rolling approach but the point in which it hurts can't really be reached. It hurts on like all the way on the side of my left shoulder near the bone.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Try a wider grip or a decline barbell bench and see if the pain lessens,

I injured my ac joint in January and it still nags me on occasion. Same feeling as you describe.

I used to have my pinky finger on the barbell ring and moved to where my index finger is on the ring. Feels much better when the barbell is close to the chest.

Another suggestion I have tried is using an underhand grip with barbell rows.

There are shoulder stretching and rehab videos. I used the ones from Eric Cressey thanks to folks here.

sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
My shoulder has been bugging me lately, too. Google FMS shoulder screen and there are a few tests there or on breaking muscle that can help isolate if it is shoulder impingement, bicep strain, or rotator cuff. All of those can cause pain in the shoulder area, according to my research.

Mine is sore in the positions you describe, and when arms overhead taking off a shirt. Shoulder impingement is what I am suspecting mine is. Shoulder is a REALLY complex joint and if yours is bad you really should see a doc. I am working on stretching pecs and lats, mobility, and strengthening my back. Switching to DB bench has helped. Also lowered the weight and going for reps with strict form.

PS Agree Eric Cressy is great. First heard about foam rollers from him years ago. Please let us know how it goes!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4 sets of facepulls alone seldom fixes the internal:external rotator balance. It sounds like it could be the suprasinatus and you likely have some internal rotation and protraction as well.

sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
4 sets of facepulls alone seldom fixes the internal:external rotator balance. It sounds like it could be the suprasinatus and you likely have some internal rotation and protraction as well.
I think mine personally was aggravated by internal rotation and posture. Started a desk job 1.5 years ago and 5-6 hrs per week in the gym cannot make up for 40 hours hunched at a desk...