Rep Fatigue? Advice please

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
so I feel a bit discouraged that my muscles get fatigued quickly after my first set. It really doesn't matter what weight, I can go light as the bar but its still kind of hard to get the required reps.

For example-
Over head press 3x10 for 30kg (66lb)
Set 1 - 10 reps easy
Set 2 - first 7 reps ok, then hard
Set 3 - first 5 reps ok, then hard and very hard. Stop at 8 lol. Took 15 second break and did 2 more to finish.

If I take 5 kg off for set 2 (11lb) the same thing happens.
In set 3 I tried with the bar and same thing, first 5 reps ok and then the bar doesn't want to move lol.

Can you guys help to see what I am doing wrong? I don't think its the weight because this happens even if I take weight off. And my trainer is having a week and a half off so I feel a bit lost haha.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How long are you resting between sets?

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The same thing happens to me too and it doesn't matter how much or how little of rest between sets(i have tried everything from 30secs to 3 mins). I'm interested in hearing the responses.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Reps 1-5: 3-5 minutes
6-12: 90-150 seconds
12-15: 60-120s

Those are usually what i go by.

Edit: key word usually. Intensity techniques such as rest pause, drop sets, occlusion training, etc are exceptions to the rule.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
^^^agreed. Unless this weight is only in like the 50-60% range of your 1RM, 15 seconds is insufficient rest without sacrificing performance.
I failed at 8 so I had to rack and then waited minimal time poss (15 sec) to get the 2 to make up for 10 reps :)

How long are you resting between sets?
About 1 minute because its not heavy intensity day! So basically rest a bit more?
jswain34; well I like the sound of those guidelines! I will try it today and see if it makes a difference.

p.s I know that hydration, getting enough energy (food), and stress also affects fatigue.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rest between sets, lack of overall conditioning (this one likely doesn't apply here), or lack of glucose are the usual suspects.

ToughMech

Awards
I think what you are experiencing is pretty normal because the same thing happens to me. I either have to rest pause or do lighter weight. I normally go with rest pause when trying to achieve a specific number, otherwise I end up doing the same old weight week after week while getting no where. I think as long as you are not having to rest pause on the first set then its fine. If I find myself giving out too soon I also rest longer in between the next set which helps a lot.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
When is the last time you took a recovery period? This varies by individual but when I was on fire with lifting I had to take a week off every couple months or I would grow extremely weak(in terms of stamina during lifting, muscles fatigued easily). After encountering others with the same issue I realized it it could be a few things. All of that being said it is just something to think about. My CNS has issues here and there.

Tufts604

Tufts604

Awards
so I feel a bit discouraged that my muscles get fatigued quickly after my first set. It really doesn't matter what weight, I can go light as the bar but its still kind of hard to get the required reps.

For example-
Over head press 3x10 for 30kg (66lb)
Set 1 - 10 reps easy
Set 2 - first 7 reps ok, then hard
Set 3 - first 5 reps ok, then hard and very hard. Stop at 8 lol. Took 15 second break and did 2 more to finish.

If I take 5 kg off for set 2 (11lb) the same thing happens.
In set 3 I tried with the bar and same thing, first 5 reps ok and then the bar doesn't want to move lol.

Can you guys help to see what I am doing wrong? I don't think its the weight because this happens even if I take weight off. And my trainer is having a week and a half off so I feel a bit lost haha.
Could you be putting in a little too much the first set? if i grind out my first set it always ruin's secondary sets for me.
Is your rest time long enough? If your goal is more reps I would increase rest times. don't get excessive. It is OK for your HR to come down between sets. Save cardio for cardio. IMO not to say there is no place for keeping hr up in training but it's not necassary to success.
is this a new feeling? is weakness coming on faster than normal? if so take three or four days off. I back off untill I wake up feeling energized again. At that point my nervous system is usually good to go. A week off won't hurt if its deserved.
Are you eating correctly? Enough protien to have recovered proper?. Unless your keto have you had enough carbs and overall calories for the day. I have had success with a whey and OJ blend in the gym. Non fancy intra workout nutrition. You get whey aminos and carbs and keeps me from feel hypoglycemic upon finishing a workout.
Don't look narrowmindedly at the problem. I explained it to a friend the other day like the fire triangle but here its training, rest, and nutrition. Without anyone everything falls apart

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
When you say muscle fatigue, do you mean actual muscle failure (or feeling like your are about to fail), muscle burn, or lack or energy/feeling drained? It seems your rest times are adequate enough to not play a big factor.

Are you newish to lifting and not well conditioned yet, or is this something you've been fighting with for a while? Just trying to better understand so I can throw out some educated suggestions.

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Beta alanine +
epicatien+
citrulline=quicker recovery between sets

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I am reading this correctly, you are essentially running your sets in a rest pause fashion. So, rather than 3 separate sets, you are simply stringing together the sets with a quick 15 sec breather- which is no time at all for recovery. Your body isn't seeing this as 3 sets, but rather 30 reps, so there is little doubt that you are struggling, yet increasing your fitness level quite a bit.