Right arm weaker (recovering from falling)

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
so I play volley, and I fall hard on my right side a lot lately. The physio told me the neck and the nerves were affected because they hurt before but not anymore. Anyhow in my w/o today I noticed the left side is not as strong as my right... an example is in tricep pushdowns i can do 12 on LHS but only 8 RHS because I cannot extend all the way down.

Can any guys suggest what I should do with my w/o? Do i keep with the same reps (but maybe split it up like 8 + 4 to make up 12 for my RHS) to keep the volume the same for both sides? It doesn't matter what weight, my right tricep/arm never matches the left. I am abit worried to be honest!

Physio said don't worry if there's no pain or numbness (there isn't) but i don't want to go backwards with my training lol

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
If 8 is all you can do with the weaker arm I'd stay 8 on the other too. Last thing you want would be a greater imbalance. You keep working that weak arm and it will catch up no doubt.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Let's back up a little. When you fall, is your arm outstretched or by your side?

My 14 yr old has played aau volleyball since she was nine, and played varsity as a freshman.

EDIT: and I have a suspicion your PT is a moron...

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Let's back up a little. When you fall, is your arm outstretched or by your side?

My 14 yr old has played aau volleyball since she was nine, and played varsity as a freshman.

EDIT: and I have a suspicion your PT is a moron...
its kind of both because it always happens when i am on perimeter defense. My arms are out to get a good touch on the ball and i always try to land on my forearm and hands then roll to one side lol.

Haha well i hope my PT isn't like you say cause i been seeing him for a year. Before when I look straight up my right arm hurts. Thats why he said there was something to do with the nerves. Now i just can't get the same reps on my RHS compared with my LHS.

Hey your 14yo sounds like she is an awesome player already. she will have a promising future for sure :)

napalm

napalm

Awards
This doesn't sound like a 'nerve' problem. It sounds like either a rotator cuff or labrum issue. Hitting the ground with an outstretched arm results quite often in cuff or labral tears.

Do you have any pain running down the lateral side of your arm? Also, you mentioned not being able to extend your arm fully, is it because of pain?

Find out if your PT has worked with athletes before. Not weekend warriors but true athletes. the best PT's I've found either treat a lot of athletes, or were one themselves. I've had 13 ortho surgeries, so rehab is something I'm very familiar with...

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
napalm; so can you give me idea what is best rehabwise for triceps? I went to another PT today., He is a sports physio and checked my shoulder out which she said is ok (both sides). But I still can't push as many rope tricep pushdowns on my right compared to the left :(

Should i continue and wait for it to catch up eventually? and pray i don't hurt it again lol

napalm

napalm

Awards
IMO, it's not a triceps issue. And unless the PT has MRI vision, they wouldn't know what they're dealing with. Have you seen an ortho physician yet?

Again, is there any pain running down the lateral side of your arm? If so, it would lead me to believe that it's referred pain from a rotator cuff issue.

Only a MRI would tell us the cause. I'd suggest seeing an ortho surgeon and get one.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If 8 is all you can do with the weaker arm I'd stay 8 on the other too. Last thing you want would be a greater imbalance. You keep working that weak arm and it will catch up no doubt.
I agree with this^^^

Overall it does not address the root of the problem and napalm has some really valid points.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
IMO, it's not a triceps issue. And unless the PT has MRI vision, they wouldn't know what they're dealing with. Have you seen an ortho physician yet?

Again, is there any pain running down the lateral side of your arm? If so, it would lead me to believe that it's referred pain from a rotator cuff issue.

Only a MRI would tell us the cause. I'd suggest seeing an ortho surgeon and get one.
sorry i missed that bit i was too tired lol.

yea so when i tilt my head all the way up to look at the ceiling there is some pain down the right arm on the inside (armpit side) and it stops at the elbow thereabouts. its gone now for the most part but i can hear cracking sounds in the shoulder when i serve for volley.

i asked about a mri scans last time and the Dr said no need for a referral bc my fingers are not numb so its not serious enough

wfgallagher3

wfgallagher3

Awards
Like myself, you may have bulging disk in your cervical spine that is pinching a nerve bundle. You can confirm this via MRI. I had pain in my right arm, and loss of strength as a result of this. The Chiro got me stretching the spine, doing certain exercises, as well as NOT going certain exercises. Pain is gone, and strength is gradually returning.