Stretching and Mobility

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Do you have any good mobility or stretches that you find ESSENTIAL day to day? The ones you can't live without (so to speak).

I'll start.. the hip flexor stretch! And a neck stretch called mckenzie stretch because my therapist said I have bad posture.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm a fan of defrancos upper and lower body routines. Simple and covers a lot of basic mobility movements for people.

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
Grok squat (what I call it anyway) or the Asian squat, google images. Basically you're in the very bottom of a squat and you just rest there. You can get fancy with some additions but that's one of my main stretches for good flexibility/mobility.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Grok squat (what I call it anyway) or the Asian squat, google images. Basically you're in the very bottom of a squat and you just rest there. You can get fancy with some additions but that's one of my main stretches for good flexibility/mobility.
Haha I never heard of the term 'grok squat' before but i sure have heard of asian squat. i am part asian after all lol. and when I went to viet everyone squat like that in the streets.

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
Haha I never heard of the term 'grok squat' before but i sure have heard of asian squat. i am part asian after all lol. and when I went to viet everyone squat like that in the streets.
Haha exactly. You can tell the mobility of ANYONE just by telling to get into that position. Most children can do it just fine.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
WP_20150516_010b.jpg

This is what i done to my lacrosse balls. mobilitywod taught me to do this and i call it my back tickler! because it reaches the back great and works out tightness in places i cannot reach otherwise.

jaces

jaces

Awards
a few lunges, stretching on the stepper and some lat stretches.. basic and quick

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
It looks like mobilitywod has taught you how to handle balls pretty well.

What this thread about again!?

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
It looks like mobilitywod has taught you how to handle balls pretty well.

What this thread about again!?
your hilarious :)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He has an upper body routine that pretty good too

David147

Awards
Yes stretching would certainly help. And cardio also would give him more quickness in movement.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
actually the Limber 11 is pretty awesome, I used it for my squat sesh and it defs help with the movement overall. I haven't seen the upper back one but i'll youtube search it.

David147; like 'explosive' movement is that what u mean? my PT always gets me to move 'explosively' in warm up sets which activates the muscles on, which kindof makes sense to me.

avega17

Awards
  • Established
actually the Limber 11 is pretty awesome, I used it for my squat sesh and it defs help with the movement overall. I haven't seen the upper back one but i'll youtube search it.

David147; like 'explosive' movement is that what u mean? my PT always gets me to move 'explosively' in warm up sets which activates the muscles on, which kindof makes sense to me.
Short, explosive movements that target the primary movers of a movement are used to activate the nervous system before lifting. Like using lunge jumps or box jumps before squatting. But you want to keep the volume very low to avoid fatigue. Something like 3 sets of 2 and sufficient rest between sets. This is something you would do after a warm up and before your primary lift. Plyo-push ups would be a good one for a pushing day.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's only two areas I roll out each day: calves and upper back. Think proximal to distal when it comes to attacking mobility. Upper body movements start in the upper back and lower body movements start in the calves.

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
A better way to do it is to get on all fours, open your knees, stick your arse up and you'll get a much better stretch/straightening of the spin. Bonus is you won't look like your constipated :006:

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
not sure if serious?? lol Shasow;

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
Lol oh come on. Do you think I'd tell you to get in that position just so I can picture it in my mind? What kind of guy do you think I am!!

Nah, truth is, it's both. It is better and the other one :) i do it myself along with my hanging and grok squat ha

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

This pic makes me laugh every time :D
This is one of the main movements I used when I developed upper cross syndrome when I worked at a bank. Works very well alongside other things if you have that syndrome.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja, I've been meaning to ask you, what's your thoughts on kstar's stuff?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja, I've been meaning to ask you, what's your thoughts on kstar's stuff?
Some of his stuff is helpful, but I've never been wowed by anything he's taught. I'm a much bigger fan of Donnie Thompson, especially since he understands the grind better having been a long time competitor.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
I have the first edition and find it very useful Gutterpump;! easy to understand and very practical.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some of his stuff is helpful, but I've never been wowed by anything he's taught. I'm a much bigger fan of Donnie Thompson, especially since he understands the grind better having been a long time competitor.
Have you read Anoop's thoughts on him?

sina

Banned
Awards
How long do you stay in this position?

jaces

jaces

Awards
I hate that life has come to a point were you have to think about your stance while talking to someone..but that link is good and i agree with what he is stating.. IMO the biopsycosocial model of pain and the biopsycosocial model of medicine/healthcare is out dated due to the fact that peoples lives and routines have changed a lot..

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm starting to think I am stretching too much. I noticed my hip flexors are a little sore when I squat on leg day.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
http://www.exercisebiology.com/index.php/site/articles/becoming_a_supple_leopard_by_kelly_starrett_book_review/

It seems the link between posture and pain isn't as simple as A=C. I haven't read much of the pain literature yet myself but it seems like an interesting subject
I am really confused by this! So is this saying that posture is not important, the way you sit is not important and there is no need to stretch or do anything for mobility? So what is he suggesting to do as the alternative?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm starting to think I am stretching too much. I noticed my hip flexors are a little sore when I squat on leg day.
Yeah it's good to build some time to recover around heavy mobility work. I won't do too much deep stretching / rumble roller action before squat day, but afterwards yes.

I consider it to be rehab work. I'll only do light prehab before squatting

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
to do more functional exercises like squats
There's a phrase that has zero meaning and needs to die. How many people do you know that have zero issues when it comes to their squat? I have literally never met a person that doesn't have some daily mobility restriction when it comes to their squat.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate that life has come to a point were you have to think about your stance while talking to someone..but that link is good and i agree with what he is stating.. IMO the biopsycosocial model of pain and the biopsycosocial model of medicine/healthcare is out dated due to the fact that peoples lives and routines have changed a lot..
You got it backwards. He is saying the biomechanical model of pain is outdated. The biopsychosocial model is the current one. The issue he feels is that people rely too heavily on the biomechanical and totally ignore the other

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am really confused by this! So is this saying that posture is not important, the way you sit is not important and there is no need to stretch or do anything for mobility? So what is he suggesting to do as the alternative?
No, not at all. That is not what he is saying. What he is saying is that people like kstar are putting too much emphasis on the biomechanical aspect and linking it directly to pain and that pain is much much more complicated than that.

jaces

jaces

Awards
You got it backwards. He is saying the biomechanical model of pain is outdated. The biopsychosocial model is the current one. The issue he feels is that people rely too heavily on the biomechanical and totally ignore the other
yes no i know this , but this model is very complex and too many factors.. i study pharmasie and the healthcare one puts the feelings of the pasient before the welbeing of the pasient.. its stupid and much like most models its unpractical

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
I think you have to be really smart to be able to take everything into considerations. And even if you DID would the patient appreciate it? like if a dr says no, your pain is not that bad, the joint is fine you are just feeling moody, here is a psych to teach you how to cheer up. haha.. I wonder how the patient would react.

Its interesting though and I totally get how pain.. actually all the senses we have must be more complicated than just 'biomechanical'.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes no i know this , but this model is very complex and too many factors.. i study pharmasie and the healthcare one puts the feelings of the pasient before the welbeing of the pasient.. its stupid and much like most models its unpractical
That has nothing to do with what he is talking about

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think you have to be really smart to be able to take everything into considerations. And even if you DID would the patient appreciate it? like if a dr says no, your pain is not that bad, the joint is fine you are just feeling moody, here is a psych to teach you how to cheer up. haha.. I wonder how the patient would react.

Its interesting though and I totally get how pain.. actually all the senses we have must be more complicated than just 'biomechanical'.
It's not that the pain is all in your head per se, and it certainly isn't helpful to tell someone in pain that it's all in your head nor do I think that's what the article suggested one does.

The takeaway for the coach here is that we need to be more cautious how we word things. If we tell someone that they have to a squat THIS way and any varation of that is a dysfunction that will lead to pain, well then we are creating the scenerio for the individual to feel pain. We are predisposing them to it. We must understand that optimal positions are 1)something we really don't know yet and 2)everyone's optimal movements are going to vary