Lower back pain deadlifts/squats

Stryfe

Stryfe

Awards
I'm 6'3, 24 years old, 189 lbs. I do have a slight lumbar scoliosis of about 5 degrees. Never had any issues until I got stronger.

Deadlift - 365
Squat - 325

I started a 5x5 program where I am squatting (5x5) 3 days a week, and depending on the week - deadlifting twice a week. (only 1x5). I have been developing this odd pain in my lower back that seems to be more so on the rear of my pelvis than my spine. Depending on the day the pain will be on the left side, or the right side (above my ass). If I bend over to touch my toes I can definitely feel it. Half the time when I bend over I usually bend with my legs to prevent having to move my lower back at all.

I squat high bar and I pull deadlift conventional. On my squats the bar path remains over my mid foot and I do hit depth, not sure if I have butt wink - I haven't taken a video. On my deadlift my shoulder blades are in line with the bar, hips raised to a point where I am not squatting the weight up, neutral spine, and form is good (from what I've heard).

Any ideas? I am squatting 240 5x5 and deadlifting 315 1x5(with belt) right now if it matters.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you could be rounding your back or hyperextending. The pain shifting from side to side might be a result of uneven loading. Make sure the bar is centered when you are squatting. Do you do any kind of mobility work?

Drock1234

Awards
I have lower back issues sometimes because my QL (quadratus lumborum) gets really tight- happens to both right and left sides independently. Mobilizing, rolling, stretching after each session is a must. Only general advice I can give you is make sure your pelvis is pointing forward and glutes are engaged during all hinging movements. It's game over as soon as you bend with your back. Sometimes it's hard to notice it when you start getting tired and push yourself.

And epsom salt soaks help take some sting out the pain

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can you video this week?

Stryfe

Stryfe

Awards
you could be rounding your back or hyperextending. The pain shifting from side to side might be a result of uneven loading. Make sure the bar is centered when you are squatting. Do you do any kind of mobility work?
The bar is for sure centered while squatting. I wouldn't allow myself to squat if I felt off balance or off center. Mobility work, no..But I do foam roll and I am very flexible.

I have lower back issues sometimes because my QL (quadratus lumborum) gets really tight- happens to both right and left sides independently. Mobilizing, rolling, stretching after each session is a must. Only general advice I can give you is make sure your pelvis is pointing forward and glutes are engaged during all hinging movements. It's game over as soon as you bend with your back. Sometimes it's hard to notice it when you start getting tired and push yourself.

And epsom salt soaks help take some sting out the pain
Thank you. I have noticed that after I get fatigued on my squats, my torso will start to fall forward, and I am quick to correct it when it happens. I do foam roll and stretch

Can you video this week?
Yes I'll take a video on Wednesday

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are a few apps like, I think one is called bar sense?, that you can record with and it tracks the movement

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like a sciatica pain.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There are a few apps like, I think one is called bar sense?, that you can record with and it tracks the movement
Or coach's eye.

AustBenny

AustBenny

Awards
Look at your hip flexors. Often these are not correctly hit with the foam roller and must be rolled for the entire length to be effective. Once you roll them then stretch them. Releasing the muscle is one thing but it will only knot up again unless you stretch it.

Low back pain can also be hamstring related, particularly where the hamstring meets the glutes. Massage ball will help. Just place it under you while sitting in a chair then put your weight on it.

Also consider that if you are squatting 3 x week and deadlifting 1 x week for less sets that you are developing an imbalance between your quads and hammies which will create low back pain.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It could be as simple as the amount of work you are putting in now with squats 3x week. You can easily irritate nerves and tissues, so any imbalance can be exasberated.

Stryfe

Stryfe

Awards
I switched to low bar squats tonight. I made sure my bar path was correct using that "coaches eye" app. I started off light using only the bar, then went up to 135, then 165, then 205..I stayed light just to get my form down.

I have no back pain from the low bar squats.

I think with high bar my torso was caving forward or something. Idk.

Stryfe

Stryfe

Awards
Look at your hip flexors. Often these are not correctly hit with the foam roller and must be rolled for the entire length to be effective. Once you roll them then stretch them. Releasing the muscle is one thing but it will only knot up again unless you stretch it.

Low back pain can also be hamstring related, particularly where the hamstring meets the glutes. Massage ball will help. Just place it under you while sitting in a chair then put your weight on it.

Also consider that if you are squatting 3 x week and deadlifting 1 x week for less sets that you are developing an imbalance between your quads and hammies which will create low back pain.
I'm on Jason Blaha's 5x5. So on week 1 I will deadlift once a week, and on week 2 I will deadlift twice a week. Then alternate again. Will I still have an imbalance?

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I get this from time to time. I generally find it's a flexibility issue in my hips and hamstrings. When i'm too tight by back overcompensates by doing all of the hinging. This causes the low back to overwork and causes the pain.

David147

Awards
Just REST Ice and take Ibuprofen, if it feels better after a few days it was just soreness, if it feels better after a few weeks it was just a strain. If the pain continues after a month or so it could be a disc injury which are not to be messed with. Until the pain goes away please do not go to the gym and try and push through the pain, that's what I did and now I'm paying for it.