Chest symmetry

critter11

critter11

Awards
So my right chest is way bigger than my left it has been getting better because ive been focusing on trying to fix the symmetry but im just not sure exactly what to do.. Also the bone around my right pec which i guss would be my rib just jots out and it always has since i was a kid anyine know a way to fix my unsymmetric chest

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would use mostls dumbbells and lead with your weaker side. If you can only get 8 reps, do the stronger side with only 8 reps. This will never be quick, but over time it will improve.

max d

Awards
  • Established
Personally, before you get into your real training I would get some lighter work in with dumbells (around 50-60%) just to get more volume on that side. Nothing crazy to totally pre-exhaust but 2-3 sets before u really get into it. It will take time for sure. Good luck!

David147

Awards
We want both lungs to fill with air. If one lung isnt expanding that would mean that oxygen / CO2 is not being exchanged in that lung. It is possible to survive however with only one functioning lung. Asymmetrical chest rise can be an indications of a number of serious conditions which would need to be corrected. (tension pneumothorax from trauma, tension hemopneumothorax ect. ) It can also be caused by something simple like a right mainstem intubation) Long story short only one lung expanding should send up major red flags for healthcare providers.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I would use mostls dumbbells and lead with your weaker side. If you can only get 8 reps, do the stronger side with only 8 reps. This will never be quick, but over time it will improve.
Agree with this. My left pec is smaller than my right so I am trying to correct it now. I lead with my left and follow with my right then add a drop set or two only to my small side. Once I gain symmetry I will go back to heavy barbell chest day one and dumbells on chest day 2 again.

Battossi

Awards
pick up single arm movements. By putting equal effort with both sides they should "grow" semi symmetrical. One will always be weaker endurance wise. Start with your weaker side...Let's say....8 reps. If you can only do 8 on the weaker or lagging side (usually the weaker) and force yourself to do only 8 on your bigger side.

This will even out your chest and improve motor patterns(which is likely the cause due to one side driving the movement.

Flys ,cross over or press.

Just note...I would choose fly due to tricep involvement.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Unilateral movements will help, but what has worked best for me is to increase my volume. I only notice that my right pec is bigger than the left when I get into 5x5 or 5/3/1 and am working on strength. Might apply here.

For reference, last chest workout I did 13 total sets.

David147

Awards
Stop working out the right pec maybe go see a doctor about the hole lumb thing. and just work out the left pec useing dumb bells...