Volume training for hyperplasia?

toneispower

Awards
I've been doing alot of research on hyperplasia and hypertrophy...

I've been adding increasing amounts of volume on after my usual heavy lifts on training days..

By volume I don't mean reps of 20 or 30. I'm adding about 5-8 more sets of moderate weight for about 10 - 12 reps. I feel like it's helping in terms of definition and fullness and I'm getting the best of both worlds for hypertrophy and hyperplasia...

Is anyone else doing this?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I recently increased volume while decreasing load via extra sets in the 12 rep range or till failure on final set...

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Hyperplasia isn't a significent contribution towards size. However you have the right idea focusing on volume. Either increase reps or sets. 6-12 reps is the typical hypertrophy range. You can also do low rep training for more sets. This way you benefit from strength gains as well as hypertrophy

toneispower

Awards
Judo.. I guess I'm still a bit confused..

Does hyperplasia make your muscle more dense and hard? and hypertrophy is an actual gain in size?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Hyperplasia = increased number of cells
Hypertrophy = increased size of cells

In humans, hyperplasia (increased # of muscle fibers via the splitting of a muscle fibers to form new ones) doesn't really happen (it technically does but not in a significant manner with regards to increasing body size (gainz). Hypertrophy (increasing the size of existing muscle fibers via addition of sarcomeres) is how we add size to our bodies. Hypertrophy happens via 3 mechanisms (muscle damage, metabolic stress & mechanical tension) which are all activated when you work out. For hypertrophy, the research supports using a weight that is 65-85% of your 1RM for 6-12 reps. But this doesn't mean you are limited to only this. Overall volume is what is important as demonstrated in Schoenfelds power lifter v bodybuilder paper.

toneispower

Awards
Thank you so much Judo.. one other quick question...

The point of adding more volume is to tear muscle down even more to ensure hypertrophy.. Right?

Even though I would be working with lighter weights towards the end of my session, I will still be achieving muscle failure by rep 10 or so. So that means I'll be utilizing all of the fibers and sending even more signals for gainz?

I know this seems like basic knowledge.. I've been lifting for years and am pretty happy with my physique. I'm just constantly trying to take things to the next level.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Also as hvactech said, training to failure also helps