Training / Cardio hurts physique?!

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, This is going to sound kinds absurd but every single damn time I take a full week off from the gym, I get leaner and fuller and harder. After one full week of returning to regular training, I am noticeably softer, puffy/swollen looking, and seem to just look beat up.

I understand this is actually quite possible and most likely due to extremely poor recovery- however- i supplement my diet and training pretty heavily. There IS history of low T.

I love training with high volume (not the pre workout lol) and I love doing some form of cardio at most - but not all sessions (3-4x a week) (bike HIIT/ prowler/ stairs/ incline walking/ sprints/ strongman carries)

The issue is largely in the midsection and lower belly... I get noticeably leaner and tighter and flatter when I don't do cardio or direct ab work! But I love doing cardio for the health benefits and overall wellness. I also know core work is important- not taking about 100 crunches here, but actual core work for posture and stability.

I'm at a loss. I love training hard. I love pushing myself, but it's actually hurting my physique. I want health benefits but i also want to look good. What should i do here? I am about to return to training this week so I'm wondering how to approach it given the fact I look pretty damn good after doing NOTHING for 6 days straight and pretty much not changing my diet(maybe 200-300 calories less a day) although I don't and don't want to count macros.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Could likely be related to lack of sodium and that is causing water retention. Possibly cortisol related too. I'm sure you know that it is pretty ridiculous to say that working hard in the gym is hurting your physique.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Could likely be related to lack of sodium and that is causing water retention. Possibly cortisol related too. I'm sure you know that it is pretty ridiculous to say that working hard in the gym is hurting your physique.
Started making sure I was getting adequate water by carrying a big jug around.. 2 days later feeling and looking better and massive pumps in the gym .. Love me some h2o