Injured Shoulders decline dumbell press HELP!

gynopuff

Awards
Hi guys I reached back to pick up some 60's (dumbbells) on a decline and kind of snatched the dumbbells. All the sudden I felt some discomfort didn't bother me too much. Over the next month my flat dumbbell bench went from 60's down to 40's during this time I upped my creatine and food intake and did not change my workout routine that had been working great (progressive overload). The final and last workout I was doing incline bench to start out and noticing a loud snaping popping sound like meat or tendon was shifting every time i moved my arms upward. Now I cannot do back or chest at ALL or it gets so bad I can barley drive. I cannot afford x-rays what should I do other than not working out chest or back? ( I have just been doing cardio/legs/abs/arms...... I am worried guys im shrinking what do you guys think it could be and if anyone has any expirence please tell me how long they were out and what they did.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you continue to lift on an injury you're only going to exacerbate the problem and increase recovery time.

If you don't have money for an x-ray, although your health should be top priority, I would stay away from any exercises that give your injured area pain

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Took SuperCissus RX, USPLABS for two months. Add in Aminos and Creatine. Lastly, do what last person said train around it. It will heal very fast. You won't notice the the time from not utilizing those specific exercises. I'm coaching a guy at my gym through a similar problem. I suffered from a pec tear and shoulder pain and did this very thing and never stopped training. In fact, I bench heavy three times a week. I weigh well over 315+ @ 40+. I'm sure others may have a different opinion.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What both these guys said.

When it heals I would stay away from decline benching. I had something similar happen years ago and was 50% for 3/4 year, and still felt discomfort on presses for a couple years after that until I dropped declines.

David147

Awards
First of all, be sure to take acetominophen (Tylenol) to reduce inflammation.

R.I.C.E. - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. This usually applies a bit more to legs (at least, the elevation part) but it's pretty much true all over your body. Resting is important because you need to give the muscles (and even more so for joints) a chance to heal. Ice helps reduce inflammation and swelling. Compression reduces swelling associated with inflammation. Elevation reduces swelling by improving blood return from the area to your entire circulatory system.

Secondly, good form is critical. When doing the bench, you want your forearms under the weight at all times, perpendicular. This requires you to shift the weight lower towards your nipples as you descend. When you ascend back up, the weight should shift back toward your head. This way you're employing the chest muscles to a large degree, rather than the anterior deltoid.

Thirdly, another aspect of good form is the pinching of the shoulder blades. You don't have to necessarily actively pinch the shoulders toward each other, but your entire body (abs, back, legs, neck, etc.) need to be TIGHT. You need to be tight during the lift. None of this flimsy crap. The weight should not ever be moving laterally from left to right or vice versa. Tight.

The fourth aspect is strengthening the posterior (rear) deltoid. The EASIEST way to do this would be to hop on a rowing machine and row a solid 2 kilometers. (or whatever you can handle). You can also do this by lying on your side on the floor, resting on one elbow, and use your free arm to rotate a 2.5lb weight outward toward the ceiling (keep your upper arm locked against your torso, and rotate it so that your forearm & hand are the moving objects, basically so that your elbow is the pivot point. Your elbow will roll a short distance across the side of your torso.). Another method is bent-over rows, but I think a cable rowing machine is safer.