Winged scapula

YouBet33

YouBet33

Awards
Aight just looking for a little advice to help my shoulder and scapula area get back to normal. I am a former college football player that has had Labrum surgery on both shoulders, my junior year I took a hit and had some nerve damage causing my scapula to wing. I'm looking for any advice in the topic, it's been a year since the injury and my lat development is suffering the greatest but pec tightness and trap tightness are also an issue but my bench hasn't been an issue, any advice would be great!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Look into Lower Trap work ie. prone Front Raises, Ball Taps w/ weighted balls, Scaption, and Supine Punches with Dbs can be a decent start. Hopefully others will chime in with other ideas but these are things that helped me strength wise. Upper trap stretches, Pec Doorway and Angels done supine, on a wall, and then on top of a foam roller help me out as well.

Foam rolling and getting Trigger Point work as needed was on my agenda but cant say its necessary for you but an added bonus.

YouBet33

YouBet33

Awards
Look into Lower Trap work ie. prone Front Raises, Ball Taps w/ weighted balls, Scaption, and Supine Punches with Dbs can be a decent start. Hopefully others will chime in with other ideas but these are things that helped me strength wise. Upper trap stretches, Pec Doorway and Angels done supine, on a wall, and then on top of a foam roller help me out as well. Foam rolling and getting Trigger Point work as needed was on my agenda but cant say its necessary for you but an added bonus.
appreciate it man, feel like this won't ever go away!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
appreciate it man, feel like this won't ever go away!
It does take a god amount of time but its well worth it to avoid un needed S/Os. Best of luck and keep us posted with hows its treating ya

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
First of all, is the nerve regenerated? Or is it still impinged? Anyway to helping the winging, strengthening the serratus anterior is a must. It is the muscle that keeps your scapula held to your ribcage. Exercises to strengthen it include db punches. Make sure you protract your scapula and hold for a second and slowly come back down! Another exercise that fries my serratus is db pullover. Anyway, hope this helps.

Search a thread called "shoulder injured in middle of a cut"

Cant link it on mobile. It has tons and tons of great info to read over, about shoulder problems! Hope this helps. Need anything else, just ask brother!

YouBet33

YouBet33

Awards
First of all, is the nerve regenerated? Or is it still impinged? Anyway to helping the winging, strengthening the serratus anterior is a must. It is the muscle that keeps your scapula held to your ribcage. Exercises to strengthen it include db punches. Make sure you protract your scapula and hold for a second and slowly come back down! Another exercise that fries my serratus is db pullover. Anyway, hope this helps.

Search a thread called "shoulder injured in middle of a cut"

thanks for your help, doc said it was due to my long thoracic nerve being damage when I took a hit that also caused a small tear in my left labrum, I might add that tightness runs up and down my neck mainly on the left side