occlusion training

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
I have been having severe pain in my left knee after leg training for the past few months, to the point that i cant sleep at night the pain is so bad. In an effort to spare my knees some stress for a while i have been considering occlusion training because the load would be much lighter. Looking for input from anyone here that has used this type of training.
1. what were the exercises you used (legs only) and number of sets, reps
2. since your only supposed to keep the blood flow restricted for 15-20 minutes, can you release the straps and re tighten between each exercise?
3. What were your results / opinions
thank you for any help/advice in advance

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In for responses.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been having severe pain in my left knee after leg training for the past few months, to the point that i cant sleep at night the pain is so bad. In an effort to spare my knees some stress for a while i have been considering occlusion training because the load would be much lighter. Looking for input from anyone here that has used this type of training.
1. what were the exercises you used (legs only) and number of sets, reps
2. since your only supposed to keep the blood flow restricted for 15-20 minutes, can you release the straps and re tighten between each exercise?
3. What were your results / opinions
thank you for any help/advice in advance

Occlusion training can be a good option when injured.

1. I've done leg extensions, leg curl variations, squats (BB, DB, BW), lunges (DB, BW), split squats, and leg presses (plate loaded or machine). I usually do 4 sets of 15 reps with 30 seconds between each set. I'll occasionally do 20-30 reps on the first set, but stick with 15 after that. Another thing I've done is giant sets consisting of 4 exercises, using about 15 reps on each. I haven't done an entire session of occlusion work and typically just add an exercise or 2 at the end.

2. You can release the wraps after each exercise (or superset/giant set). I remove them after the 4 sets are complete.

3. You'll experience a very intense pump if done correctly. I've been adding it off and on for the last year, but not with enough consistency to say how much it's helped with growth. It's been know to be beneficial for recovery as well and I believe Sean1332 has been using it for that purpose.

Here's some additional info:

http://www.kylehuntfitness.com/blood-flow-restriction-training-q-and-a-with-jeremy-loenneke/

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the reply breezy. Ill be trying it out tomorrow so ill report back.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I got the idea from Breezy. I like leg press, single joint movements, but my favorite is super setting goblet squats and GHR, or bulgarian split squats and GHR.

It makes my adductors feel incredible and I feel like it may have benefited in relieving some pain.

heybeavis1

heybeavis1

Awards
I´m having some issues on my left elbow when doing triceps extensions (most all types, but I don´t suffer much on presses for example). Would occlusion training be a good option then ? Where should I wrap the surgical tubing when doing tris ?

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks for the reply breezy. Ill be trying it out tomorrow so ill report back.

No problem man.

I´m having some issues on my left elbow when doing triceps extensions (most all types, but I don´t suffer much on presses for example). Would occlusion training be a good option then ? Where should I wrap the surgical tubing when doing tris ?

I think it could be beneficial in your case. I'd also recommend doing any type of extension later in a session, after the elbows are fully warmed up.

Here's how to wrap arms. You could use the tubing as well.

[video=youtube_share;Jw92W6m1dq4]http://youtu.be/Jw92W6m1dq4[/video]

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
just finished my first session of occlusion training for quads. To test the waters i used leg press and leg extensions, did hamstring exercises normally. On all rounds of leg press I only used six plates....was sceptical if id get a good workout from this but wow that was more painful than any other type of training i have done (in a good way) the pump was intense and it took some willpower to finish the sets. by the end my quad muscles were shaking and really fatigued feeling, the big bonus is no knee pain. I cant wait to get back to heavy squatting but this is a great alternative while injured will be keeping this up for about a monthish and hopefully my knee will be healed up enough by then to resume my normal lifting

anoopbal

Awards
If the pain is lasting for a few days, better get it checked out and clear the red flags.

bioboy88

Awards
It might be a bit off topic, but I went swimming when I had trouble with my knees. This is the only kind of sports that allows distributing the body weight in a way that makes it impossible to hurt yourself

David147

Awards
Occlusion training is thought to work through the process of “metabolic accumulation.” Basically, instead of letting your body flush all the metabolic products of exertion through the system, the tourniquet keeps it all in the area. This stimulates a big release of anabolic growth factors, recruits more fast-twitch fibers, and induces more production of protein.7

Occlusion training also seems to stimulate the production of heat shock proteins, which monitor cell proteins and help transport other proteins across cell membranes, aiding in cell repair. Occlusion training appears to affect Nitric oxide synthase-1 (which helps control blood pressure, insulin secretion, blood vessel growth, and peristalsis, and helps catalyze nitric oxide from L-arginine) and reduces myostatin as well (animals lacking myostatin have larger muscles than other animals). More research is needed on the exact mechanisms of occlusion training, but it seems to have many avenues through which it works its magic.