5 month plan for rugby

Danielll

Awards
Hi gents
I'm getting ready to leave for a study abroad and I'm working on a plan so I would be bulked up when I come back in time to play Rugby in January. I've read several articles and all of the plans only come in 9 weeks with a bulking and conditioning phase I was wondering if I should plan two or more cycles of bulk/ cutting or if I should just extend the cycles with a final conditioning period in December thanks for the help

CNPComicNerd

Awards
In five months you can't do multiple effective bulking and cutting cycles. Depending on your final goal you should split it 3/2 for either bulking or cutting. So if you want to be bigger but still very lean then you do 2 months of a bulk then 3 months of a cut. If you just want mass with some leanness then 3 months bulking 2 months cutting.

I recommend the second one because Rugby is going to get you leaner anyways if you watch what you eat while you play.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Eat big, eat clean, and condition your ass off. Rugby definitely takes a lot of conditioning to play, so I'd bet that if you're in proper shape to play by the time you get back, you won't have added much fat. Here's a decent article I found on rugby conditioning.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/rugby-energy-training-15

Seems it's similar to football (American) in terms of energy systems, and there are a million articles on how to train for football.

Your best bet is to look on JTSstrength.com for football training articles. Chad Wesley Smith is one of the best in the world at preparing athletes for their chosen sport, and he has a lot of free info on his site.