Tight Hips and Squatting

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

Tight Hips and Squatting

After trying to fix my form in my squat for quite some time reading articles, watching videos I finally came to the realization as to why I can't squat properly and adequately move up in weight. After doing a few stretches namely a butterfly stretch I realized my hips are insanely tight, I always knew this but never correlated it to squatting or if I did never implemented anything. But now I realize it is likely one of the driving forces to why my squat is 200lbs lower then my deadlift and progressing at a snails pace.

For reference my max deadlift is 530 my max squat is 335, I can leg press 810lbs for reps and can do barbell lunges up to 245 for a few lunges.

When I'm squatting heavy my hammys and quads never give out but rather I just simply can't do the weight, I feel as though I'm more then strong enough to do the weight and much more I really think I have a 405 pound squat in my legs but not in my hips.

I've been incorporating a hip mobility circuit in my warmups everyday now including foam roll, lax ball roll, leg swings, squat stands, spidermans, overhead squats, lateral squats, rotational squats, and various leg and hip stretches including kneeling hip flexor stretch.

Has anyone dealt with tight hips during squats and found a way to cure them? and is this a viable reason for as to why I have been stuck around 315-345 for some 12-16 months now?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Tight hips could lead to improper form so that could explain why you aren't progressing.

You should address WHY your hips are tight in the first place as well. Poor movement patterns and technique will cause some issues.

YouTube: Agile 8, Limber 11, Kelly Sterrett, SuperD (Donnie Thompson)

Other people to search: Eric Cressey and Tony Gentilcore

This website can help you identify exactly what is tight, and the trigger points associated with the muscle.

http://www.athletestreatingathletes....atment-system/
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

oh, and make sure you're doing plenty of unilateral leg work. All the lunge variants, split squats, ect (Eric Cressey will address that in an article or two as well)

You really have to be consistent and find the right things that work. You can find a quick fix and mobilize something, but it'll take a bit to fix it as a whole.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   

4. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor

I cosign everything sean said above. Unilateral leg work is extremely under utilized IMO.

It looks like you already dosome unilateral work and mobility work so at this point it might be worth it to seek out a coach and get assessed. You might be missing something. You can do a search for ART professionals near you too as well as reputable strength coaches
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    oh, and make sure you're doing plenty of unilateral leg work. All the lunge variants, split squats, ect (Eric Cressey will address that in an article or two as well) You really have to be consistent and find the right things that work. You can find a quick fix and mobilize something, but it'll take a bit to fix it as a whole.
    This cannot be emphasized enough and it must be unilateral work that has some hip rotation as well. These stretch out the glute medius and minimus, which highly influence hip and lower back health. Do them twice a week; one time with decent weight and the other with just BW as a finisher.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

I second the Kelly Starlett recommendation. His book and videos helped and still help me when I need to focus on recovery. The only thing I can recommend that you don't need to look at them for is foam rolling that area and goblet squats(especially holding the bottom position). A great way to stretch a position is to do that position just with less stress=weight in this case.
  7. Registered User

Stretch these:

Hamstrings
    Calves
    Pectineus
    Adductor brevis

Hammy may take a while to get adequate length, so don't squat lower that your hip mobility allow.

A common symptom is that clients with this type of problem never really feel that their glutes get targeted.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  168 lbs.

What do you mean by "tight"? Usually I've heard tight used as a positive adjective...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 03:53 PM
  2. Abs and Squat While on PH Cycle?
    By Eagleman003 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 11:32 AM
  3. Need Help with Bench, Deadlifts, and Squat ?
    By The Paper Route in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 09:12 PM
  4. How to Schedule Cardio and Squats?
    By pcn in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 07:01 AM
  5. Low arches and squatting
    By T-Bar in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 08:28 PM