Injuries and overcoming them. (Need support) - AnabolicMinds.com

Injuries and overcoming them. (Need support)

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Injuries and overcoming them. (Need support)

So long story short I've ****ed my lower back up bad and am unable to walk or much less do anything else. I'm 4-6 bed ridden and extensive physical therapy. No lifting no doing ****. Hopefully surgery won't have to take place but I will know in 4-6 weeks. My question is does anybody have any helpful advice on any supplements or macro advice to make the best out of this? I want to know how to hold onto as much muscle as possible living completely sedentary for the next month. Anything at all would be great. Thanks guys

2. New Member
    Answers

I think more education on injury, activity level, etc would be indicated for an answer

3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Degenerative l4 and l5 they are both herniated activity level is pretty much sedentary as of now but will start lifting again Monday. Any exercises to avoid? Or to replace with something to avoid?

•   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Google stuart mcgill and gather as much as you can find from his teachings. He's highly regarded as the top spine expert in the world, and he has abdominal exercises that will stabilize your core and take the pressure off of your discs.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html

5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

You my friend.. Are the ****

6. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by greekgohd View Post
    Degenerative l4 and l5 they are both herniated activity level is pretty much sedentary as of now but will start lifting again Monday. Any exercises to avoid? Or to replace with something to avoid?

I think this goes without saying, Be SMART

Mcgill is good although I think mckenzie is better

7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by braskibra View Post

I think this goes without saying, Be SMART

Mcgill is good although I think mckenzie is better
    Hadn't heard of him. Thanks for the info, I'll be checking him out.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html

8. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I've got several injuries and am running a log right now. Check it out if you're curious to see how I'm rehabing/ training around the injuries, etc. I have a few fairly serious back issues, 1 SLAP repair & bicep tenodesis, and 1 unrepaired minor SLAP tear in the other shoulder. I also think I have a torn intercostal muscle that isn't healing completely. Still 110 percent able to train, it just takes a lot of prehab/rehab/PT work alongside it, preventative and corrective exercises as well as ongoing mobility work, etc. Going to be starting up a new joint log with someone else in the same boat, doing a 3 month recomp and doing the joint log to push each other and help each other out. Probably starting up that one tomorrow eve.

9. Jag
    Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.
    Answers

I feel for you. 4 - 6 weeks lying around doing nothing is going to test your patience to. I've been there. The only exercise i could do was pressing my lower back into the bed while contracting the abs.

I'd be looking into holding on to your sanity as well as your gains.

Losing weight and conditition was nothing to what it did mentally. Get some positive reading material and good movies. The fuuny ones made me laugh which jerked my back around causing pain though!!

Organise a back friendly routine for when you make your comeback and go over it again and again. Might sound strange but in 4 - 6 weeks you'll know what i mean.

Best of luck during that time though. I hope it passes quickly for you.

10. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

One thing to keep in mind is that stopping all training can actually make things worse as well.

To keep things in perspective, one of the strongest men in the world has a fair degree of scoliosis, but it doesn't stop him from being the strongest man in the world. Have to be smart and proactive now.

11. New Member
    Answers

I agree with gutter! Controlled activity!

12. New Member
    Answers

Chronic low back injuries are almost always a result of poor movement. Lack of interabdominal pressure and hinging with the back instead of hips always cause a lot of trouble.

Education and experience IS key.

13. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Answers

About 15 years ago, I had a major work related back injury and was in a wheel chair for 9 months. Eventually I had two back surgeries, on L4-L5-S1. I started with pool therapy, just walking across a pool and doing crunches at the corner of the pool. One of the best things I did was to purchase an incline table. Hanging upside and doing crunches on the incline table really helps. I also purchased a home gym, that focuses on cables as I was unable to lift free weights at the start. I typically focused on slow controlled movements with the cables. I had to learn alternative movements that would not tweak my back. For example, for rows I strap myself down to the bench, using a lifting belt and then pull the bar to my chest. Do leg crunches while hanging from a pull-up bar. Muscle in the back and core helps the spine to stay stable. Four months after the surgeries I could barely walk across the house. Eventually I walked one block and then a mile, and now I routinely walk three miles, and even HIIT jog within limits. I suggest time off, pool therapy, the inversion table and the alternative cable workouts. I suggest getting a tens unit (electricity pads), it really helps the back muscles to relax. Unfortunately I know how much it sucks, but hang in there and I hope you do better with the patience thing than I did. Patience was not one of my strong points, but trust me, you can get through this with some patience.

14. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Answers

My apologies, as I offered advice, but did not answer the supplement thing. I suggest research datbtrue CJC (no dac) and GHRP-2. It may help.

15. New Member
    Answers

Chronic low back pain and herniated disks (lumbosacral region especially)? Learn to HIP HINGE. these chronic problems are often a result of dysfunctional movement and compensation, and that's why they come back even after healing and resting for MONTHS.

Stretch hamstrings (with a straight back), learn to use your hip and glutes in all lifting (also daily life) and try to get most ROM from ankle and hamstrings.

Also incredibly important is the ability to breathe into your stomach using your diaphragm, as this causes an abdominal pressure which will have depressurization of the spine. Critical for lifting and for daily life.

Hope this helps and wish your a good a intelligent recovery!

Look up Dr. Evan Osar low back pain if you want to learn more.

16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kjetil1234 View Post
    Chronic low back pain and herniated disks (lumbosacral region especially)? Learn to HIP HINGE. these chronic problems are often a result of dysfunctional movement and compensation, and that's why they come back even after healing and resting for MONTHS.

Stretch hamstrings (with a straight back), learn to use your hip and glutes in all lifting (also daily life) and try to get most ROM from ankle and hamstrings.

Also incredibly important is the ability to breathe into your stomach using your diaphragm, as this causes an abdominal pressure which will have depressurization of the spine. Critical for lifting and for daily life.

Hope this helps and wish your a good a intelligent recovery!

Look up Dr. Evan Osar low back pain if you want to learn more.
    This is good advice. I do not think many people realize (I myself didn't for a while) how important the diaphragm is as a core muscle. In addition to learning to breath into the stomach its important to be able to maintain the zone of apposition and keep the ribs down. Once you get rib flare and lose that ZOA negative things happen. I would check out some of the writings of Bill Hartman at Indy Fast and the Postural restoration institute. A lot of high level strength guys are also implementing breathing exercises to train the diaphragm as a core muscle. Here is an example of apical expansion vs. rib flare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7I_-Etmo3c

I myself am recovering from an AC separation. And now, what appears to be either a miniscus tear or some form of PTF

17. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    This is good advice. I do not think many people realize (I myself didn't for a while) how important the diaphragm is as a core muscle. In addition to learning to breath into the stomach its important to be able to maintain the zone of apposition and keep the ribs down. Once you get rib flare and lose that ZOA negative things happen. I would check out some of the writings of Bill Hartman at Indy Fast and the Postural restoration institute. A lot of high level strength guys are also implementing breathing exercises to train the diaphragm as a core muscle. Here is an example of apical expansion vs. rib flare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7I_-Etmo3c

I myself am recovering from an AC separation. And now, what appears to be either a miniscus tear or some form of PTF
    Core stability with a dysfunctional diaphragm is a MYTH! Completely agree with you.

Wish you a speedy recovery mate.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 11:57 AM
  2. Injury and diet modifications
    By IHateGymMorons in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 01:06 PM
  3. S1+ and what you need to take it
    By Fleetcare in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3