betaine and weight gain

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
so after reading that post from the awesome Zirred, i got some raw betaine powder and been using it. holy cow are my lifts going up. i can tell the workouts i miss it too. amazing stuff. a week after starting it did a deadlift rep PR with 20 more lbs and 2 more reps. i thought it was a fluke but my bench and overhead both went up. i started taking in the beginning of april and i have moved up in nearly all my lifts from 1rm to rep PRs. every week i set at least 1 rep and max PR.

i have been gaining a lot of weight too and im not trying too. i was 192 on april 4th when i started taking this stuff. this morning i was 207. i usually dont gain weight easily at all. been real skinny most my life. now i am 40 this year and my training partners said that just happens sometimes when you get old. well aint that some ****, lol. i wouldnt be worried but i was going after some records in powerlifting at lighter weight classes. :( i guess ill have to diet down and i hate dieting. *must feed the buddha!*

some advice though, dont get the raw powder. it is the most awful tasting crap, lol. my stomach is all kinds of jacked for a few hours afterwards too.

has anyone else been using this stuff? any results?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been using products containing betaine for quite some time now and it'll absolutely be a staple. I've yet to try it in bulk form though. ****ing hate bulk powder lol Citrulline Malate and Creatine Mono aren't bad in raw form I guess.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
its waaay cheaper getting it that way but not again. once this stuff is gone im spending the money on some flavor. lol

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've been using products containing betaine for quite some time now and it'll absolutely be a staple. I've yet to try it in bulk form though. ****ing hate bulk powder lol Citrulline Malate and Creatine Mono aren't bad in raw form I guess.
I think your white flood and/or green mag got you covered.

I just bought pills and I take it on days that my pre doesn't have it and off days.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think your white flood and/or green mag got you covered. I just bought pills and I take it on days that my pre doesn't have it and off days.
Yup, those have me covered. Condense is an awesome source, too, outside of powder/pills. I have Test Powder with it in there too. Never tasted it though.

max d

Awards
  • Established
I was taking betaine (tmg), some enzymes, and creatine during a bulk this last fall and noticed that for the amount of cals I was increasing I should of been adding fat but my muscles were just gaining size and looking fuller. So when I used it I had a good recomp effect. Nothing too crazy on the strength. What type of betaine were you taking? I think there are 2 different kinds.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was taking betaine (tmg), some enzymes, and creatine during a bulk this last fall and noticed that for the amount of cals I was increasing I should of been adding fat but my muscles were just gaining size and looking fuller. So when I used it I had a good recomp effect. Nothing too crazy on the strength. What type of betaine were you taking? I think there are 2 different kinds.
TMG aka Betaine Anahydrous is the kind you want for this. Betaine HCL should not be dosed the same and is not the same thing/nor gives the same benefits.

Honestly I love the stuff. After playing around with it awhile back after some of Zir's posts I try to keep it in constant use.

I don't mind just adding the bulk powder to my pre-workout drink, but White Pump was pretty legit. Komodo has some sick prices on 300g tubs as well.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've not experienced any benefits regarding strength or body comp and just seem to get a little acid reflux feeling. I wish I saw what some are reporting, but I'll keep my eye on the studies to see if I want to try and add it back in sometime down the road.

I should add that it raised my LDL and my doc told me to try and determine what may have changed it. That was the only thing changed and it went back down from the time I dropped it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, it is TMG and I bought it in bulk from two different companies that are quality based on previous purchases.

max d

Awards
  • Established
Who knows. I personally wonder if my change in composition was from the super enzymes I was taking. Maybe it was making my body better at nutrient partitioning and the betaine didnt do anything. All I know is that my strength was not effected and I probably won't be buying tmg again.