From active duty to what exercise science proffession?

Devildog_

Devildog_

Awards
What's going on guys. Got some questions regarding the exercise science / kinesiology field.

Currently active duty Marine Corps but my 5 years is up next year and im trying to figure out a job.

Right now i am almost complete with my bachelors in exercise science. Ill be using my GI bill to get a masters/phd. I'm just wondering what fields I could find work in for while I'm getting my masters and for after? I have a wife and son so obv I wanna make money but I don't wanna lose myself in that aspect.

I have a dream of working with pro athletes whether body builders football players cross fitters idc. Any ideas guys?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but it seemed right

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try and get a graduate assistantship with the university

Which uni do you go to BTW?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was asking because I am familar with a few of the labs stateside and was curious which one. Currently I am finishing up my undergrad at Temple and then will be applying to graduate schools

Devildog_

Devildog_

Awards
Oh whoops haha I thought you meant something else. I started at bridgewater state university in MA but I'm finishing up through American Military while I'm in. For grad schools I'm looking at Colorado state, penn state, uconn, San Diego state, and university of Hawaii

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My date is next year too. Will be be rolling in American Mil here soon. Exploring options before I make the decision to get out (if) So..subbed for ideas.

Devildog_

Devildog_

Awards
My date is next year too. Will be be rolling in American Mil here soon. Exploring options before I make the decision to get out (if) So..subbed for ideas.
Yeah I'm trying to decide if its the best option or not. But after 4 years of Marine Corps I'm pretty much all set. I wanna at least finish my bachelors while I'm in yano use that GI bill for the expensive ****

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh whoops haha I thought you meant something else. I started at bridgewater state university in MA but I'm finishing up through American Military while I'm in. For grad schools I'm looking at Colorado state, penn state, uconn, San Diego state, and university of Hawaii
From that list I woyld shoot for UCONN. You can try and get into Kramaer or Volek's lab

Devildog_

Devildog_

Awards
Gonna bump this.

What does everyone think about a fitness related job with no experience other then Marine Corps for time during grad school? Being a trainer kinda seems like a no go since they are just glorified salesmen for the most part

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a few thoughts on this.

First of all, most graduate programs off assistant ships of some kind where you work for the school (teaching or doing research) and in return they pay for your school and give you a stipend. This might allow you to forgo using your GI bill as well as get extra experience.

Next thought is, what do you want to do? If you want to work with athletes you need to get into a school with a strong strength and conditioning masters that focuses on developing strength coaches. There are several, but 4 come to mind off the top of my head: Springfield College MA (where I went), Eastern Tenn State Univ (a colleague of mine went there), University of Miami (one of my students is headed there this fall), and Michigan State. I believe Florida Atlantic Univ. has a decent program too, but I have not looked into it.

You should also realize, that the life of a strength coach is big hours and small money, unless you get into the private sector (or work your way up to #1 at a major university or pro team - however, there is a "good ole boy" mentality still hanging around). To give you an example, a classmate of mine is an assistant strength coach for an NFL team. His starting salary was 30k/year and he was pulling 12-14 hour days when they were in camps/season.

I have another idea, which would allow you to both make a lot more money and probably cut down on your work time. Have you thought about strength and conditioning for the military? There is a base in MA on the cape where they do a lot of military specific human performance research (Dr. Nindl (SP?) used to run it). If you hang around the north east you might consider working/interning there. As a military strength coach your salary will at least double that of an astant NFL or NCAA DI coach, the benefits would be better, and the hours less (I had another friend who was a navy strength coach and made 60k a year plus housing). And with you military background, this might be an easy in. Other options would be training the FBI or CIA or some other government agency that requires a high level of fitness.

There is also always the private sector, where there are a lot of successful coaches who work with mid-elite athletes (AAA athletes trying to go full pro). Some examples to look up would be: Cressey Performance, Indy Fast, Stick Time Sports (which is in Springfield MA, and he will be looking for interns), and the list goes on.

Abby

Abby

Awards
That's what I am interested in and I am hoping to do strength and conditioning for athletes so you could check that out

Devildog_

Devildog_

Awards
I have a few thoughts on this.

First of all, most graduate programs off assistant ships of some kind where you work for the school (teaching or doing research) and in return they pay for your school and give you a stipend. This might allow you to forgo using your GI bill as well as get extra experience.

Next thought is, what do you want to do? If you want to work with athletes you need to get into a school with a strong strength and conditioning masters that focuses on developing strength coaches. There are several, but 4 come to mind off the top of my head: Springfield College MA (where I went), Eastern Tenn State Univ (a colleague of mine went there), University of Miami (one of my students is headed there this fall), and Michigan State. I believe Florida Atlantic Univ. has a decent program too, but I have not looked into it.

You should also realize, that the life of a strength coach is big hours and small money, unless you get into the private sector (or work your way up to #1 at a major university or pro team - however, there is a "good ole boy" mentality still hanging around). To give you an example, a classmate of mine is an assistant strength coach for an NFL team. His starting salary was 30k/year and he was pulling 12-14 hour days when they were in camps/season.

I have another idea, which would allow you to both make a lot more money and probably cut down on your work time. Have you thought about strength and conditioning for the military? There is a base in MA on the cape where they do a lot of military specific human performance research (Dr. Nindl (SP?) used to run it). If you hang around the north east you might consider working/interning there. As a military strength coach your salary will at least double that of an astant NFL or NCAA DI coach, the benefits would be better, and the hours less (I had another friend who was a navy strength coach and made 60k a year plus housing). And with you military background, this might be an easy in. Other options would be training the FBI or CIA or some other government agency that requires a high level of fitness.

There is also always the private sector, where there are a lot of successful coaches who work with mid-elite athletes (AAA athletes trying to go full pro). Some examples to look up would be: Cressey Performance, Indy Fast, Stick Time Sports (which is in Springfield MA, and he will be looking for interns), and the list goes on.
You sir are extremely helpful. Good friend of mine just graduated from Springfield and works for reebok now but he's def not doing what I'm interested in. I'm originally from MA so I'm trying to keep this world exploring thing going.

Ill prob be looking into working as a strength coach for the military. Motivated people that are in good shape. I never even thought about that.

I much appreciate the post man a lot of great information there

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You sir are extremely helpful. Good friend of mine just graduated from Springfield and works for reebok now but he's def not doing what I'm interested in. I'm originally from MA so I'm trying to keep this world exploring thing going.

Ill prob be looking into working as a strength coach for the military. Motivated people that are in good shape. I never even thought about that.

I much appreciate the post man a lot of great information there
Good deal, feel free to message me if you have more questions. Check out Springfield, they have some really great internship opportunities at big schools across the country (I have friends who have interned (and some later got jobs) at Kansas, Mizzou, etc.)

M

mercsme

Awards
Why not crossrate into MWR even if have to switch uniforms. Ever been to DJB ?

M

mercsme

Awards
Morale Welfare Relaxation or something like that. DJB - Should of put Djibouti Camp Lemonier.

B

Balaclava

Awards
Here's an idea, not 100% fitness related, but food for thought. I'm ex-military. A buddy from my old unit got released a couple years ago and he started advising on local movie and TV sets - things like fire and movement, teaching actors how to handle firearms, formations all that. And I am pretty sure through his work he's also started helping a couple actors get in shape for various roles. I don't know if he does the fitness part officially or not yet though. I don't think he has a big interest in the fitness angle, it's more of a hobby for him. Seems like a good way to get in the door though.

Devildog_

Devildog_

Awards
Here's an idea, not 100% fitness related, but food for thought. I'm ex-military. A buddy from my old unit got released a couple years ago and he started advising on local movie and TV sets - things like fire and movement, teaching actors how to handle firearms, formations all that. And I am pretty sure through his work he's also started helping a couple actors get in shape for various roles. I don't know if he does the fitness part officially or not yet though. I don't think he has a big interest in the fitness angle, it's more of a hobby for him. Seems like a good way to get in the door though.
That's not a bad idea at all. I'm sure the 0311 mentality will help 10 fold with that though. Interesting idea. Thanks man