Lower Back Spasms

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Anyone have any tips for helping lower back spasms. Have had them for 2 weeks on Thursday. On muscle relaxers, lots of water, lots of light stretching, and heat the crap out of it in the morning and at night. Thinking about trying acupuncture.

I did not hurt it lifting. Just woke up, had some lower back pain, then I was literally on my feet for about 10 hours and the next 2 days was very painful. Yesterday I thought I was near 100% but today pain was back. Didn't do anything besides maybe sleep on it wrong. Maybe I need a new bed! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Holding off on going to chiropractor as long as possible since I hear once you go you will always need to go to them.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How are the trigger points (painful I bet) in your belt line, hips and hamstrings?
Maybe some magnesium might help the relaxation process too.
As far as chiropractic, acupuncture, trigger point therapy, ART, TMS therapy and a host of other means for body pain etc., if you get relief from what they do, that would to me, indicate whether or not you would continue going or use them when you needed!?
I know some chiros try to keep you coming on a reg. basis, to keep you adjusted, if that is what you are referring to?
Also and IMO, a more natural drug free or wholistic approach (quite a few out there) is better than meds or chemicals in the system.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
How old is your bed? Just got a new one myself and my back feels like a million bucks!! Comfortable, supportive sleep is super important! Also, hit up a foam roller pre and post workout, even if it's not a "back day".

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How are the trigger points (painful I bet) in your belt line, hips and hamstrings? Maybe some magnesium might help the relaxation process too. As far as chiropractic, acupuncture, trigger point therapy, ART, TMS therapy and a host of other means for body pain etc., if you get relief from what they do, that would to me, indicate whether or not you would continue going or use them when you needed!? I know some chiros try to keep you coming on a reg. basis, to keep you adjusted, if that is what you are referring to? Also and IMO, a more natural drug free or wholistic approach (quite a few out there) is better than meds or chemicals in the system.
I do believe it's the bed. Now the spasms seem to be almost gone but mornings are rough. Need to stretch it out right away.

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How old is your bed? Just got a new one myself and my back feels like a million bucks!! Comfortable, supportive sleep is super important! Also, hit up a foam roller pre and post workout, even if it's not a "back day".
Just a couple years old but it's not that nice of one. A new bed will be one of the first post wedding purchases. I haven't foam rolled since the spasms occurred but I am going to workout tomorrow as I feel pretty dang good except for in the morning. Nothing heavy just upper body work. Scared to foam roll cause of the possible pain lol man up I know!

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Just a couple years old but it's not that nice of one. A new bed will be one of the first post wedding purchases. I haven't foam rolled since the spasms occurred but I am going to workout tomorrow as I feel pretty dang good except for in the morning. Nothing heavy just upper body work. Scared to foam roll cause of the possible pain lol man up I know!
foam roller = glorious torture

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
foam roller = glorious torture
Yep gonna man up tonight. 3 weeks with no lifting has been brutal. Upper body only this week to see how the back handles it...but I am going to foam roll again!

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Extra sleep and electrolytes. Sleep on back only.
Get some good stretching in the glutes. Maybe some light good mornings.
If you're afraid of laying on a foam roller, try leaning against a wall with a ball trapped on your low back and just roll it around. I've also made good use of railings, random gym equipment, anything to channel my inner Baloo Bear.

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Extra sleep and electrolytes. Sleep on back only. Get some good stretching in the glutes. Maybe some light good mornings. If you're afraid of laying on a foam roller, try leaning against a wall with a ball trapped on your low back and just roll it around. I've also made good use of railings, random gym equipment, anything to channel my inner Baloo Bear.
I recently included some BCAA back into my training and never will I go without them again. Someone else also recommended getting more flexible too. Honestly, I have never done good mornings. How beneficial do you think it is? I was just ending 5-3-1 1.2.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
I find them excellent for a stretch and good practice focusing on firing glutes and hamstrings for when I squat, plus some low back strength and stability improvements without frying myself out on heavy work.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HOw much water are you getting into you a day. I know it sounds strange. I had a massage therapist tell me a little over a year ago, my spinal column was dehydreated... really upped the water intake and I got some relief. Not saying it is the cure but all part of the process.

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
HOw much water are you getting into you a day. I know it sounds strange. I had a massage therapist tell me a little over a year ago, my spinal column was dehydreated... really upped the water intake and I got some relief. Not saying it is the cure but all part of the process.
It could be better. Some days it's over a gallon and other days it's only 3 or 4 bottles of water. I will try to be way more consistent with at least a gallon a day

Night Prowler

Awards
My back was a lot like yours was. I swore it was my bed. Turned out t was lymes disease. After getting treated everything cleared up and no more problems since then. As for the chiropractor, I was treated for a few months until my problem was cleared up. So it is possible to go to one and not have it become a permanent ting. You do what you have to.

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My back was a lot like yours was. I swore it was my bed. Turned out t was lymes disease. After getting treated everything cleared up and no more problems since then. As for the chiropractor, I was treated for a few months until my problem was cleared up. So it is possible to go to one and not have it become a permanent ting. You do what you have to.
Well hopefully this never happens again. How did they figure out I was lymes disease?

Night Prowler

Awards
Well hopefully this never happens again. How did they figure out I was lymes disease?
The Drs tried telling me is was stress and tension. I had a wicked headache also that would not go away. Pills, pills and more pills I finally had enough and got a new Dr. Ran a blood test and came back positive. I was admitted to the hospital and after some iv antibiotics I was good to go. Turns out I never felt the early symptoms because I had low testosterone. Symptoms in the begging of lymes are similar. So I have been dealing with that lately. Fun stuff

Noutster

Noutster

Awards
Pain allready gone?
I've had the same. Just woke up with a painfull lower back. Got some stretch exercises and used the foam roller. Worked out great!

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Pain allready gone? I've had the same. Just woke up with a painfull lower back. Got some stretch exercises and used the foam roller. Worked out great!
Not gone but manageable. Dead lifted for the first time since the spasms yesterday and the lower back was quite weak. I think I am good to go but will take it slow. I squared too on Monday but light. Need to restart on my form again. Sucks

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Not gone but manageable. Dead lifted for the first time since the spasms yesterday and the lower back was quite weak. I think I am good to go but will take it slow. I squared too on Monday but light. Need to restart on my form again. Sucks

What's up KJ!!!
Been awhile!!

Glad to see ya got things figured out ;)

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have ongoing issues with back spasms due to a back injury, so I have to constantly keep it in check.

What's worked for me is to really stay on top of my hydration, foam roll before/after workout, and hot yoga classes for mobility and core strength. I also do mobility / fascia work from home with a rumble roller, lacrosse balls, etc.

I've purchased a standing desk to work from, whenever I work at home. This also forces correct posture. I have an abmat that I place in my lumbar curve whenever I have to sit down on my couch. I also sleep on memory foam. These are all my tricks for long term back health, hope it helps.

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have ongoing issues with back spasms due to a back injury, so I have to constantly keep it in check. What's worked for me is to really stay on top of my hydration, foam roll before/after workout, and hot yoga classes for mobility and core strength. I also do mobility / fascia work from home with a rumble roller, lacrosse balls, etc. I've purchased a standing desk to work from, whenever I work at home. This also forces correct posture. I have an abmat that I place in my lumbar curve whenever I have to sit down on my couch. I also sleep on memory foam. These are all my tricks for long term back health, hope it helps.
Thanks for the tips! Is there a difference between foam rollers?

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Thanks for the tips! Is there a difference between foam rollers?
Yes. Some are more firm some are smooth some look like mud tires.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I also not only foam roll flat on my back, but I turn onto my side and foam roll my lats.... and focus on the reeeally tight spots in there. You'll find em. Especially where the lower lats attach to the back, lower down. This really helps me out a lot. This type of foam rolling I usually need a firm flat (no bump) roller. I use the rumble roller while flat on my back as most of the time I'm too tender to use it directly on 1 lat at a time.

The mini rumble roller is amazing for hamstrings/glutes too though.

You could also experiment with thick PVC piping... but this is advanced.

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes the lats hurt. Quads are also a killer for me.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Looks like heaven!
It is, the relief is amazing. I use it on my back now too, even while I'm sitting watching a movie, or even on the hams at my desk at work. This thing is just amazing