Squat form

shark1

Awards
Here is a vid of me squating. (LB)
youtube.com/watch?v=COb3nTlJ1M4
I had alot of technique problems but I fixed most of them.
I got this problem that I need your help:
When I take the bar of the rack (and still not squating)- my back is in flexion and my chest is not tight.
And when I start squating My back is in extention and my chest tight.
Is that ok to do that? or I need to be in position 2 all the time ?
I feel uncomfortable when I move between the positions.
Do you got anything else that I need to pay attention to ?

Thanks alot!!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So....why don't you just unrack the bar with a nice tight back then? Pull air into your gut and maintain a braced neutral spine, get your back tight and scapula retracted, hips under you, then unrack it and contract yor glutes...brace yourself.

Then when you walk out the weight, preferably in the rack...., do the same thing. You're real shifty on your feet and hips after your walkout. Get your feet set, squeeze your glutes, brace your spine, squat. No swaying.

You get a "butt wink" or posterior tilt of the pelvis when you get into the hole, causing some lumbar flexion. Tight hamstrings are the most likely cause. That's my only bone to pick with ass to grass squatting, is some people butt winking due to immobility and tightness. You looked good as you broke parallel.

Your chest caves a bit once that happens. Focus on driving your back into the bar. Once everything else is tightened up, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Focus on sinking your torso between your hips, if that makes sense. That'll help keep ya upright.

You have quite a few views already. What are other people saying elsewhere?

Disclaimer: I'm no expert and I only what works for myself. TWIW

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I say unrack it inside the rack, or towards the rack, so that way you can grip it and pull yourself under and into it nice and tight, pulling your shoulder blades back all at the same time. May just be a mental thing for me.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Disclaimer: I'm no expert.
I don't think you're allowed to say this anymore...

OP, listen to what Sean said, I would give you the same advice. Everything must be tight the entire time. A strong unrack makes for an easy squat, a crappy one will kill your squat.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OP, listen to what Sean said, I would give you the same advice. Everything must be tight the entire time. A strong unrack makes for an easy squat, a crappy one will kill your squat.
2nded

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What Sean said. Also please don't unrack facing that way again.

Only thing I'd add is it looks like your buttwink is because you are hyper extending the lumbar by over arching and pushing the butt back too much. That'll be fixed by better bracing of the core that all starts with a much tighter unrack.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree with everything in this thread that has been advised. You need to be tightened up and ready to take the weight off the rack the same as you are going into the squat. Everything begins from the time you walk up to the bar. I see a lot of guys walk up and move around a bunch, and then unrack, then set themselves.