Connection between Physical Fitness and Productivity

RyGuy14

RyGuy14

Awards
I'm writing a paper on the benefits of physical fitness on job performance/productivity and mental capacity. I would REALLY like to find a study using statistical analysis (regressions, logit/probit stat tests, etc.) but I can't seem to find one. Maybe the research is lacking?

Do you guys have any recommendations for existing studies or where I can find some empirical data on the subject?

Thanks!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Since no one is biting and I am so f***ing opinionated or love to editorialize...

I would think the first places to start, would be the relations athletes get from fitness to apply to their jobs.
After that, the more physical jobs or, if a person is hurt at work and then given PT to get them back on the job, that might be a place to look!?
It might be harder to find the mental attributions of physical fitness on the labor force, but the larger companies adding fitness classes/gyms into the daily work, might be some kind of marker.
Otherwise, you could interview some workers in differing jobs, ages and life and see what their input, attitude, or experiences are, with using, or not using fitness.
As far as actual scientific proof!? Hmmmm, maybe it is your calling??? Lobby for a grant and start you studies ;-)

Some jobs are actually physical in and of themselves, so comparing who is more fit or healthier in a physical job in comparison to a sedentary one, might also be worth a look!?
Stress (both physical and mental) can be good and bad, so finding it's positive app., might be a place to look too!?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wrote a blog about this about a year ago. There are some studies that have analyzed sitting time and performance (reductions) and also some that have shown exercise or breaks in the work day walking make for more productive employees.

There's blog may give you an idea of where to start, and there are about 18 or so references at the end that you can track down as primary research.

http://jasoncholewa.com/2014/03/14/sitting-is-bad-for-health-and-business/

Upscale

Awards
There is definitely material out there, are you just using the internet to search or have you gone to the library? The internet is a great place to start your research but, if your serious about it, you can't beat the library. You have to grab books and hunt through em but you will find a solid starting point and then finding the rest of the material should be easy.

Pretty sure Bruce Lee wrote some material on this.