Looking for info on muscle growth vs lack of sleep

Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I've been looking for info on whether or not it is counterproductive to lift when you are going to be awake for more than 24 hours. Google has not been my friend in regards to this. With my rotations at the hospital I am awake at least 27 hours two times a week. Usually before I start my shift at night I've been at the gym already. Granted I get 8 hours of sleep afterwards but looking for info if I'm doing more harm than good. Anyone have any links/info on this? Thanks.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
That's interesting... I doubt you'll find much studied on this - probably mostly anecdote, though you may have luck searching for military studies as I seem to remember performance without sleep being studied with them.

There's plenty of people training twice between sleeps and making gains if that's part of your question. Aside from simply being out of normal rhythm, I don't imagine being awake longer than the average person actually hurts anything. If you sleep less hours/year than the next guy, don't be surprised when he makes better gains than you though.

Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk

Awards
  • First Up Vote
My question was if working out then not sleeping for a long period of time doing damage or just not giving me gains. Will look into any military studies I can find. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, nice Black Templars marine.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have done this for extended periods of about 20-30 hours when I used to work on call and I can say that it did affect recovery. If I went back in after a long period of no sleep, I was weaker. I would imagine this could play into gains as well, but to what degree I wouldn't know.